Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Im an Aussie, is it ok to join in this site??

Im an Aussie, is it ok to join in this site??

Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all
Default Im an Aussie, is it ok to join in this site??

My husband and I are born and bred Aussies. We have lived all our life in Tasmania, until 5 months ago that is.

My husband wanted a career change and we wanted better weather and more opportunities for our 2 youngest aged 11 and 13. So we moved to Sydney where Hubby was told he would have no problems getting into the security/Investigators industry. He is an ex copper of 10 years.

5 months on and we feel like Sydney has sucked us dry and spat us out. I was lucky and found work almost immediately in Reception/Admin, but the amount of red tape hubby had to go through to get a licence here in NSW was just pathetic. And finding work after?... a total joke..unless we part with even more cash. The NSW Govt. are hell bent on sucking every cent they can from people in this state, and they have just voted the same party back in again!!!........ And dont even get me started on the tolls....we live North West of Sydney......so tolls are a way of life if you dont want to get stuck in the worst traffic jams I have ever seen!! But I am not here to bag out Sydney, its just not the place for us. Sydney is a very pretty city with some wonderful parklands and walkways but you need deep pockets to live here we found, but that is just us.

My husband has not worked full time since we got here so we are now moving on!.....we arrive on the Gold Coast May 3.

Hubby has been offered a job in Recruitment, something he really wanted to get into, so we are off! I will look for Temp work in my field until I can find a permanent position. For us, this is a new beginning. Onward and upward from here!! lol

So when I found this website, even though we are not British expats (although my best friend who I have left back in Tassie is English, does that count for anything? LOL)I found people in similar situations as in, making a new start in an unfamiliar place. Of course, for us it is much much simpler as we dont have immigration issues and a big move but with regard settling into a new place you have only ever visited once before, we are the same pretty much. So the thread where people post about their experiences down the track is just so interesting to us as well.

We have no idea where to settle on the Gold Coast, but have been looking at Robina, Varsity Lakes, Benowa...Varsity Lakes has a top College where you child begins school and stays until Year 12......but that is about all we know of the area.

Hubby will be working on the southside of Brisbane but he will commute the hour or so it will take each day as the beach lifestlye is what we are after. Good quality public schooling is the most important thing for us too.

So if its ok to be here, I am more than happy to offer advice and help on anything Australian. And if we can get an idea of nice areas on the Gold Coast and good schools, then that helps us as well.

Cheers and hope to post more soon.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im an Aussie, is it ok to join in this site??

Welcome to the site, of course you are welcome.

There are a few other Australians already on the site.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:52 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
My husband and I are born and bred Aussies. We have lived all our life in Tasmania, until 5 months ago that is.

My husband wanted a career change and we wanted better weather and more opportunities for our 2 youngest aged 11 and 13. So we moved to Sydney where Hubby was told he would have no problems getting into the security/Investigators industry. He is an ex copper of 10 years.

5 months on and we feel like Sydney has sucked us dry and spat us out. I was lucky and found work almost immediately in Reception/Admin, but the amount of red tape hubby had to go through to get a licence here in NSW was just pathetic. And finding work after?... a total joke..unless we part with even more cash. The NSW Govt. are hell bent on sucking every cent they can from people in this state, and they have just voted the same party back in again!!!........ And dont even get me started on the tolls....we live North West of Sydney......so tolls are a way of life if you dont want to get stuck in the worst traffic jams I have ever seen!! But I am not here to bag out Sydney, its just not the place for us. Sydney is a very pretty city with some wonderful parklands and walkways but you need deep pockets to live here we found, but that is just us.

My husband has not worked full time since we got here so we are now moving on!.....we arrive on the Gold Coast May 3.

Hubby has been offered a job in Recruitment, something he really wanted to get into, so we are off! I will look for Temp work in my field until I can find a permanent position. For us, this is a new beginning. Onward and upward from here!! lol

So when I found this website, even though we are not British expats (although my best friend who I have left back in Tassie is English, does that count for anything? LOL)I found people in similar situations as in, making a new start in an unfamiliar place. Of course, for us it is much much simpler as we dont have immigration issues and a big move but with regard settling into a new place you have only ever visited once before, we are the same pretty much. So the thread where people post about their experiences down the track is just so interesting to us as well.

We have no idea where to settle on the Gold Coast, but have been looking at Robina, Varsity Lakes, Benowa...Varsity Lakes has a top College where you child begins school and stays until Year 12......but that is about all we know of the area.

Hubby will be working on the southside of Brisbane but he will commute the hour or so it will take each day as the beach lifestlye is what we are after. Good quality public schooling is the most important thing for us too.

So if its ok to be here, I am more than happy to offer advice and help on anything Australian. And if we can get an idea of nice areas on the Gold Coast and good schools, then that helps us as well.

welcome the more the merrier

Kim
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

Well thank you! I have already posted a few times but I never really asked the question so thought I should do so before I posted any more.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Your story could have been written by me. Change Tasmania to Canada and Sydney to Adelaide and it's a very similar story. Only now I'm still in Adelaide getting ready to join my husband who has moved to Perth for a job.
Welcome to the site, though.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank you! I have already posted a few times but I never really asked the question so thought I should do so before I posted any more.
Hi and welcome, you could be very valuable to some people on here, thanks for joining us.
Good luck
Denise
Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:51 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Welcome to the site, of course you are welcome.

There are a few other Australians already on the site.
and Kiwis

Be nice to have some from Tassie who can provide some "local" info

Welcome to the site guys
Old Apr 8th 2007, 7:54 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

It's great that your joining, Your knowlege of OZ will be of great value to all who are heading in that direction And if you ever fancy a move to the UK. We can return the favour!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
It's great that your joining, Your knowlege of OZ will be of great value to all who are heading in that direction And if you ever fancy a move to the UK. We can return the favour!
Great, often the Australians can nip a rumour or an untruth in the bud before everyone goes mental.

MrsD is very good at that. Everyone is panicking in the search for a foodstuff and she comes in with "Yes, you CAN get it". Renders everyone speechless.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Welcome!! I am an Aussie as well and I have found most people very welcoming here. I originally joined as we had planned to try living in the UK so wanted to pick people's brains about that, but got cold feet so we have bought a house in Hobart instead! Just waiting on finding a buyer for our home in Perth and then we will be able to go.

I like this forum so thought I would stick around even though I don't really fit the criteria anymore
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

jodi666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

You haven had much fun have you? I have only been on the GC 6months but i do live in Robina. I looked at Varsity Lakes college when I got here but you have to live in the right zone to go there so if you want to enrol there check the zoning first. My children 12 & 5 go to a state school called Merrimac which seems very good, I was recommended it by a few people inc a teacher so might be worth looking at that. Robina seems very family friendly 5 mins from the beach, good shopping centres and property prices not too bad either. if you need anymore info I will try to help. Best of luck jodi.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:41 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

hi there guys

yes varsity lakes is a good school our daughter ( 14 ) goes there and we are really impressed to date, we also have friends who send their kids to the junior section and they are just as pleased.

just check with the school re the bounderies for the catchment area as they are pretty strict on that

http://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/wcms...t_process.html
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Hello and welcome

Good luck with the move to the Gold Coast.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

I hope Harryh doesn't find this post

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218938

But your most welcome but there are some idiots who dont speak for all of us.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pomref
I hope Harryh doesn't find this post

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218938

But your most welcome but there are some idiots who dont speak for all of us.
I don't see the need to troll up a 3 year old thread full of absolute nastiness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.