Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm addicted already...

I'm addicted already...

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Question I'm addicted already...

Oh no...with about 4 weeks to go before moving from Bristol to Melbourne, I've become addicted to this new found forum. Seems you guys discuss everything my wife and I keep going "How on earth do we go about doing that". Posted a question this am, 2 quick replies, one phone call later and job of sending unaccompanied luggage sorted. Fab. Can see this website being my friend in Oz. Hope one day I know enough to help others. BTW does anyone know how I go about sorting a slightly tricky tax problem. I'm actually going to be paid by the University of Bristol for a reasonable period of my work in Melbourne - sort of a sabbatical arrangement. The Inland Revenue have said they'll issue me with a No-Tax (NT) code here so I don't pay UK tax. But how do I go about setting up Australia tax. Is it simply a case that when I register for a tax code in Oz, they'll set this up for me?
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm addicted already...

Its very easy to become addicted, there are many of us here!!!

Lisa..xx
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:13 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Oh no...with about 4 weeks to go before moving from Bristol to Melbourne, I've become addicted to this new found forum. Seems you guys discuss everything my wife and I keep going "How on earth do we go about doing that". Posted a question this am, 2 quick replies, one phone call later and job of sending unaccompanied luggage sorted. Fab. Can see this website being my friend in Oz. Hope one day I know enough to help others. BTW does anyone know how I go about sorting a slightly tricky tax problem. I'm actually going to be paid by the University of Bristol for a reasonable period of my work in Melbourne - sort of a sabbatical arrangement. The Inland Revenue have said they'll issue me with a No-Tax (NT) code here so I don't pay UK tax. But how do I go about setting up Australia tax. Is it simply a case that when I register for a tax code in Oz, they'll set this up for me?
Ooo sounds kinda tricky!? These guys might be able to give you a more professional opinion. www.collettandco.co.uk

Good luck.

Rachel
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:14 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Oops....welcome to the forum

!! It is addictive....but full of invaluable information!!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Cool...thanks. I'll give them a go...
Bring on Australia Summer...
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I've been addicted since November 2003 ....... and I finally leave for Oz in February.

SS
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yes - seems I was a bit tardy in finding this site. Still, with only about 4 weeks to go, it's probably saved me hours and hours of idle chit chat waiting for the elusive australian summer...!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Its here already!
Was 43 degrees here in Melbourne last week
Thankfully today is a lovely 25
Welcome to the site btw
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:00 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

BTW does anyone know how I go about sorting a slightly tricky tax problem. I'm actually going to be paid by the University of Bristol for a reasonable period of my work in Melbourne - sort of a sabbatical arrangement. The Inland Revenue have said they'll issue me with a No-Tax (NT) code here so I don't pay UK tax. But how do I go about setting up Australia tax. Is it simply a case that when I register for a tax code in Oz, they'll set this up for me?
[/QUOTE]

Hello! If you find the answer to your question could you let me know too as I may be in the same situation. I work from home writing training material and figure I should be able to continue doing my work from Oz!

We are going to Melbourne too - I was planning on getting myself an accountant who could do it for me!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: I'm addicted already...

Yeah - will do. Glad the sun's shining in Melbourne. Whenever we get snowed under (literally..!) with jobs for Oz, we have to look at the current weather in Melbourne and remind ourselves what it's all about...

Anyone know any good Melbourne websites other than visitvictoria.com? - we've got a bit bored keep looking at the same website. There must be some more good ones...
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - will do. Glad the sun's shining in Melbourne. Whenever we get snowed under (literally..!) with jobs for Oz, we have to look at the current weather in Melbourne and remind ourselves what it's all about...

Anyone know any good Melbourne websites other than visitvictoria.com? - we've got a bit bored keep looking at the same website. There must be some more good ones...
What sort of things did you want to look for?
the age newspaper http://www.theage.com.au/
Victoria online http://www.vic.gov.au/index.jsp
Only Melbourne http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/
Thats Melbourne http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/inf...op=259&pg=2191

Happy Browsing
Ruth
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty new here too

Here's one site you could try
http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's another one for parks victoria - excellent site!
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Cool - thanks guys. I'll have a look through your suggestions...