Is it Illegal?

Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:29 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it Illegal?

I apologize before I start, as this is a bit long winded

We used a reputable removal company to ship our stuff over to Oz from the UK.

We live in a 1st floor apartment over here, and the company at this end told us there would be an extra charge of $290 for the removal men bringing our things up one flight of stairs!

I told them that I didn't want their services for that, and that we would make our own arrangements with regards to carrying everything upstairs. Especially as we had been stung for $230 for import tax as well.

As it turned out, we could not get any help with the latter, so I rang them again to say we had changed our mind (as we had no other option) and I asked her how we should pay? The lady who had dealt with me all the way through at this end, told me it did not matter, and we wouldn't be charged for them carrying it up anymore.

What should I find when I checked my Barclaycard bill online?

They've only gone and charged me, using my original card details that I used for the import tax, without my consent!!

I'm sure that must be illegal,

Does anyone know what I should do?

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jan 5th 2007 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it Illegal?

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu

We live in a 1st floor apartment over here, and the company at this end told us there would be an extra charge of $290 for the removal men bringing our things up one flight of stairs!

I told them that I didn't want their services for that, and that we would make our own arrangements with regards to carrying everything upstairs. Especially as we had been stung for $230 for import tax as well.

As it turned out, we could not get any help with the latter, so I rang them again to say we had changed our mind (as we had no other option) and I asked her how we should pay? The lady who had dealt with me all the way through at this end, told me it did not matter, and we wouldn't be charged for them carrying it up anymore.

They've only gone and charged me, using my original card details that I used for the import tax, without my consent!!

I think you are right . have you rung them back ? try ringing your credit card company and see what they say , mostly they are very helpfull .
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:40 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
I think you are right . have you rung them back ? try ringing your credit card company and see what they say , mostly they are very helpfull .
I only just found out now when I spoke to my parents. they received the paper bill over in UK and they noticed it.

I'm not happy at all...I will definitely ring Barclaycard, as it could be classed as fraud, I think
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:45 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

I only just found out now when I spoke to my parents. they received the paper bill over in UK and they noticed it.

I'm not happy at all...I will definitely ring Barclaycard, as it could be classed as fraud, I think
Hi Angela
how are things going in oz?!

I think it likely that if you query this with the removal company they are going to say that you phoned them and said you wanted them to go ahead - and you have no way to prove that the woman you spoke to said you didn;t need to pay.
Really annoying but probably not much you can do. Still worth a go with the credit card company though.

Adele x
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Hi Angela
how are things going in oz?!

I think it likely that if you query this with the removal company they are going to say that you phoned them and said you wanted them to go ahead - and you have no way to prove that the woman you spoke to said you didn;t need to pay.
Really annoying but probably not much you can do. Still worth a go with the credit card company though.

Adele x
Oz is great...it's just the *rseholes at *********!

Have phone Barclaycard and logged a complaint them

How are you doing?

Will PM you soon
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:12 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Oz is great...it's just the *rseholes at *********!

Have phone Barclaycard and logged a complaint them

How are you doing?

Will PM you soon
We are all fine - and moving along at the same slow pace as usual!!
Visa application should (hopefully) be in the post to our agents by the end of next week (just need to sort certified copies etc).

I read the post where you said you were buying a house - you will have to send me loads of details (you know i am nosey like that!!).

Speak soon
a x
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:18 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I can appreciate your annoyed it happened this way, but is it worth getting upset about? I agree you were given wrong advice about the charge no longer applying when you called to say you would like it carried up one flight of stairs. They should have asked how you would like to pay before charging your card too.

In the end all that happened is you paid for a service you were willing to pay for anyway.

Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
In the end all that happened is you paid for a service you were willing to pay for anyway.
LOL - Thats what I thought as well.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:18 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

99.9% certain that's illegal.

Contact you credit card company immediately....they'll straighten you out and sort out any credits you are entitled to.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:20 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I can appreciate your annoyed it happened this way, but is it worth getting upset about? I agree you were given wrong advice about the charge no longer applying when you called to say you would like it carried up one flight of stairs. They should have asked how you would like to pay before charging your card too.

Good god.....you've obviously got too much money then!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:42 pm

I believe its called being honest. The OP got exactly what they originally asked for.
Just because a company made a mistake doesn't mean you should try and fck them by using claw back methods from the card issuer. . .

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Good god.....you've obviously got too much money then!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

I believe its called being honest. The OP got exactly what they originally asked for.
Just because a company made a mistake doesn't mean you should try and fck them by using claw back methods from the card issuer. . .
She was told she would no longer have to pay for the service, then they charged her card without consent. Mistake or no mistake, that is their problem. They can't do what they did.
Incidentally, I wasn't charged when my stuff was delivered to my 1st floor flat. Hope you get your money back mate.
J.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:08 am

Without having read the contract they signed you don't know what they can or can't do. If the contract states she will pay to move the goods up a flight of stairs unless otherwise noted in writing - they pay, regardless of a telephone call. Likewise for the method of payment.

My point was nothing to do with how it was done, rather that the OP was upset about paying for something originally deemed acceptable, and then instead of being reasonable and calling to check whether they should have paid, and perhaps receiving a discretionary discount as a getsure of goodwill, the OP contacted the card issuer to demand a refund.
The OP then acuses the company of fraud! Fraud for-F-sake - as in wrongful or criminal deception Not an oversight, mistake or misunderstanding - no it must be fraud...

A colleague bumped in to me today, perhaps I'll sue her for assault, anyone know a good lawyer?

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
She was told she would no longer have to pay for the service, then they charged her card without consent. Mistake or no mistake, that is their problem. They can't do what they did.
Incidentally, I wasn't charged when my stuff was delivered to my 1st floor flat. Hope you get your money back mate.
J.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:51 am

That wasn't the point I was trying to make!

It was the fact that they used my card details without my consent

To all you that had a good laugh about it, I don't need the p*ss taking out of me thank you very much. Couldn't give a f**K about the money they charged. It was just the consent issue!

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jan 6th 2007 at 3:04 am.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:54 am

That wasn't the point I was trying to make!

It was the fact that they used my card details without my consent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.