Reload this Page >

ILEX / NQ Solicitor, advice please

ILEX / NQ Solicitor, advice please

Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ILEX / NQ Solicitor, advice please

Hi,

We already have our PR visa (my husband is a sparks).

I obtained fellowship of ILEX in June this year, but I've gone back as a part time secretary (beleive it or not this pays the same) so that I can take my final two ILEX papers and start the LPC fulltime in September 2008. When I finish the LPC, I need to do the professional skills course and then I will be a solicitor.

As soon as I get qualified as a solicitor we intend to emigrate, so I won't be getting any experienced in this country (obviously apart from my two years between Membership and Fellowship of ILEX) as a fee earner.

Do you have any advice on what I will need to do when I get to Australia to become a solicitor?

If we decide to stay on in the UK for a year, is there any area particular area of law that I should think about going into to help when I get over to Australia. I'm not sure about the legal system over there and whether any areas are similar here?

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Emma
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:23 am
Just Joined

nerysann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ILEX / NQ Solicitor, advice please

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi,

We already have our PR visa (my husband is a sparks).

I obtained fellowship of ILEX in June this year, but I've gone back as a part time secretary (beleive it or not this pays the same) so that I can take my final two ILEX papers and start the LPC fulltime in September 2008. When I finish the LPC, I need to do the professional skills course and then I will be a solicitor.

As soon as I get qualified as a solicitor we intend to emigrate, so I won't be getting any experienced in this country (obviously apart from my two years between Membership and Fellowship of ILEX) as a fee earner.

Do you have any advice on what I will need to do when I get to Australia to become a solicitor?

If we decide to stay on in the UK for a year, is there any area particular area of law that I should think about going into to help when I get over to Australia. I'm not sure about the legal system over there and whether any areas are similar here?

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Emma
yes, it' s a lot of hard work!!! it's sa good idea transferring to a solicitor over there first though.

You need to contact the Legal practice board for the state you will be living in and then apply for mutual recognition for your degree and any exams you've taken. They will then tell you what part of your degree they can accept. After that you apply for mutual recognition on all of your practical training. I have not got that far yet!
I m a member and am in perth having to take half of my degree again as part of mutual recognition.
Legal execs are not really known over here ( esp in WA) and are considered mere secretaries or paralegals.

Seach my name and ilex and it should come up, I relpied to someone else on this about a month ago!
if you need any more advice, PM me!

good Luck!

Last edited by nerysann; Dec 12th 2007 at 6:26 am.