Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IKEA - returns policy?

IKEA - returns policy?

Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:44 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default IKEA - returns policy?

Just curious if anyone is aware of what Ikea's returns policy is? We bought a bed and mattress from them in March and just over 6 months later, the mattress is absolutely wrecked! It's lumpy, mishapen and generally incredibly uncomfortable, and as most of you aware, half of the time we've owned it, it's only had me sleeping in it as the OH is in the army and is away a lot!

So, anyone any advice of the lingo I should use when I call them later on this avo? I'm no expert on mattresses, but surely they should last longer than 6 months, agreed?!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IKEA - returns policy?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
So, anyone any advice of the lingo I should use when I call them later on this avo?
Swedish.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:29 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Swedish.
haha good one! lol
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

haha good one! lol
You should be able to get a refund to the fact it hasn't lasted a reasonable amount of time for the price you paid.

When am I entitled to a refund, repair or exchange?
As a consumer, you are legally entitled to a refund, exchange or repair from the place of purchase if goods you purchase:
•have a fault you did not know about when you bought it
•are not the same as the seller or advertisement described
•don’t do the job you were led to believe they would
•don’t match the sample
•don’t last a reasonable amount of time, given the price you paid.
If you receive a service that is not of a standard that a reasonable person would expect, you are entitled to a refund or free repeat service.
If you partially use or benefit from the goods or service before a fault or problem develops, the trader can negotiate with you for a partial refund or other compensation.
Consumers should be aware that if a trader refuses to provide compensation, the Office of Fair Trading can only try and negotiate with the trader. The Office of Fair Trading does not have the authority to force a trader to provide compensation. If a consumer believes they are entitled to compensation which is not forthcoming, they can lodge a claim with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal which will consider issues up to $25,000. Alternatively, consumers should seek independent legal advice about the options available to them.
http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/refunds.htm
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:06 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by LouiseR
You should be able to get a refund to the fact it hasn't lasted a reasonable amount of time for the price you paid.

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/refunds.htm
Just spoke to them and they said that because we don't have the receipt, we could bring along the bank statement showing the purchase of the bed and mattress and they'd see. So basically they're saying we should drive down from Toowoomba, with the mattress and hope they sort it for us? Hmmmmmm lol
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:07 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Ikea hate you and want you dead. Don't overlook that little fact...
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:08 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by tonrob
Ikea hate you and want you dead. Don't overlook that little fact...
HAHA that amused me lol
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:17 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

HAHA that amused me lol
Just wait until you find the hinges missing and the holes in the wrong place...
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:20 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Just wait until you find the hinges missing and the holes in the wrong place...
Or worse still, Pickfords break your £85 chest of drawers and you find that Ikea Australia sell the exact same ones for $299!!! lol :curse:
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:23 am
Septic Sprout

Or worse still, Pickfords break your £85 chest of drawers and you find that Ikea Australia sell the exact same ones for $299!!! lol :curse:
Are Pickfords Scandinavian too? Because I tell you, they can't be trusted...
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:28 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Are Pickfords Scandinavian too? Because I tell you, they can't be trusted...
No idea lol
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:32 am
Septic Sprout

No idea lol
Anyway - no matter what they did to you, at least you still have wombats - which is more than most of us can say.

Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:38 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Anyway - no matter what they did to you, at least you still have wombats - which is more than most of us can say.

http://www.wombats.net/wombat-pic.jpg
HAHA ur an ejit but I like it! LOL
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:42 am
Septic Sprout

HAHA ur an ejit but I like it! LOL
Wombats are clearly the way forward. We only have skunks, raccoons and rubbish like that over here. I'm hoping you have Common Wombats where you are and not those Northern Hairy-Nosed jobbies - they're bobbins, they are.

P.S. I haven't been drinking.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:43 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious if anyone is aware of what Ikea's returns policy is? We bought a bed and mattress from them in March and just over 6 months later, the mattress is absolutely wrecked! It's lumpy, mishapen and generally incredibly uncomfortable, and as most of you aware, half of the time we've owned it, it's only had me sleeping in it as the OH is in the army and is away a lot!

So, anyone any advice of the lingo I should use when I call them later on this avo? I'm no expert on mattresses, but surely they should last longer than 6 months, agreed?!
I have found the phrases "bought in good faith" and "not fit for purpose" are effective. If sugar doesn't work with a worker, try vinegar... if that doesn't work, stick to sugar with the boss and make him or her feel bloody wonderful for fixing up what their worker couldn't. (And yes, a mattress should last more than 6 months. Even if your husband is in the army )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.