Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

Wikiposts

If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

Originally Posted by CitySlicker

Having said that it's a quiet place and a very nice place to go on holiday. Away from the most of the problems of the world (but a few homegrown ones e.g. massive drug use esp. amphetamines and crime to go with it). Living costs are expensive and the NZ dollar is very strong. House prices are high at the moment. A good place to have emigrated to 5 years ago but not now.

Having said that, it doesn't have 'yob' culture of the UK or vandalism on the same scale. The streets are mostly safe, safer than the UK anyway.

Weather in Auckland OK but damp/humid in winter/summer. Warmer than the UK, no real winter.
Yes I have have cut your post to reply to the above points only......the drug culture is high as is the drinking problem in Auckland and because of that it is not somewhere I was safe at night.

Worked and lived there for three months, albeit in an apartment in Princes's Wharf......it was that bad all round for me I got homesick for Sydney

It was so expensive compared to my day to day in Sydney I bought items from 'home'. For a person who intends to migrate for a 'better lifestyle' but bases that on working in the same type of industry as before...they need to do their sums.

I only base this on my own personal experiences ...... on a brighter note I found the majority of people I met an absolute hoot and enjoyed the company.

Cheers Sandra
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Yes I have have cut your post to reply to the above points only......the drug culture is high as is the drinking problem in Auckland and because of that it is not somewhere I was safe at night.

Worked and lived there for three months, albeit in an apartment in Princes's Wharf......it was that bad all round for me I got homesick for Sydney

It was so expensive compared to my day to day in Sydney I bought items from 'home'. For a person who intends to migrate for a 'better lifestyle' but bases that on working in the same type of industry as before...they need to do their sums.

I only base this on my own personal experiences ...... on a brighter note I found the majority of people I met an absolute hoot and enjoyed the company.

Cheers Sandra

Bizarre, I lived on Princes Wharf as well, and we are off to Sydney, I loved living there, just spent far too much money. Our income in Auckland was 35% of that in London, in Sydney it will be around 80%, no contest really.

Last edited by ginaf; Nov 14th 2005 at 12:34 am.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:34 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK

That place called tassie sounds nice, Anyone else been there?
see now I'm confused cos you made such a sweeping statement that Australia is flat compared to NZ, yet you've never even heard of Tasmania??

me thinks Mr Mover is on the right tracks
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

CitySlicker will become famous soon enough

I liked the link about the apartments.

http://www.jenman.com.au/NewsNews1.php?id=348

It's all true.

Isn't Sydney even more expensive than London in real terms. The house prices there are pretty high even by UK standards. Even in Auckland you could get a decent place for NZ$500,000 until recently. I think the Sydney Eastern suburbs would be much more than that, double maybe. The wages certainly aren't double for my line of work anyway.

Those wage comparisons are only for IT. Other jobs may be different. One thing I do know is that wages in NZ have been almost frozen for the last 4 years.

All airports have these departure taxes. I remember Vancouver in Canada had an 'airport improvement tax'.

All in all I would stay in Auckland and just go to Sydney for holidays. I am not a fan of the heat all year round. I am more interested in Canada than Oz to be honest.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:11 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by possoms
see now I'm confused cos you made such a sweeping statement that Australia is flat compared to NZ, yet you've never even heard of Tasmania??

me thinks Mr Mover is on the right tracks
Sorry, I have heard of Tazmania, didn't realise that tassie was Tazmania, stupid really, it's obvious now that I look back
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
That was a very good post
In case the young lad thinks Im interested in any further discussions I'd like to remind him that while I know he is still posting on this thread I have taken steps to assure my peace as shown below:
Now that really is hilarious, he has even attached a pic of the ignored post
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
I don't understand the point of this thread. You prefer NZ, why bother trying to work out why others prefer Australia? What's it to you? We are all different and have different tastes and preferences. I do detect a little bit of insecurity here especially when you claim that all those who have been to both countries prefer NZ. I know among my acquaintances there are some who prefer Australia and some who prefer NZ.

Good luck with your new life in NZ!

It is interesting to me to find out other peoples opinions, how many times do i have to explain this?

I'm not in NZ, i'm in Canada, just wondering why people choose australia over NZ, jeees sue me for being interested.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:19 pm
Banned

Brodie will become famous soon enough

That was a very good post
In case the young lad thinks Im interested in any further discussions I'd like to remind him that while I know he is still posting on this thread I have taken steps to assure my peace as shown below:
I can't believe you went to the trouble of attaching a picture of the ignored post, that really is sad, reading this forum I thought you were making it clear that you are the mature one.

I am applying to immigrate to australia too, I love NZ as well, but not sure I want to live there. However I do not take this post personally, it seems that it is just someone asking why people choose Oz over NZ. Why are people getting so offended?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:25 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodie
I can't believe you went to the trouble of attaching a picture of the ignored post, that really is sad, reading this forum I thought you were making it clear that you are the mature one.

I am applying to immigrate to australia too, I love NZ as well, but not sure I want to live there. However I do not take this post personally, it seems that it is just someone asking why people choose Oz over NZ. Why are people getting so offended?
Hmmmm, You must be his other half or his alter ego
and it was absolutely no trouble at all to click screenshoot then click attach, not that it matters
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
Sorry, I have heard of Tazmania, didn't realise that tassie was Tazmania, stupid really, it's obvious now that I look back
Its Tasmania with an "S" actually.......
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Woking in Surrey had more going for it than that traffic jammed village called Auckland. There were some nice surrounding areas to the place but Birmingham had some nice areas nearby and more charm!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

It would be really interesting to hear from anyone who has experienced living in both countries.
We've lived in NZ for 4 years now, and while it's not perfect ( where is ? ) it's hard to recognise the NZ described on some of these posts !

Obviously 99.9 % of folk on this forum have made the choice to live in Aussie and consider it the best choice . I haven't been to Aussie yet, but plan to visit next year and if there's the option to move there through work then we'll be weighing up the pros and cons.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:28 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in Auckland for 3yrs. No contest. Australia wins hands down.
For me NZ is too slow, has poor housing standards, greatly overinflated house prices, and total lack of excitement. Its all very well raving abou the scenery and outdoors activities, but believe me, after a few months the novelty wears off and for me, i just felt very empty living there.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

CitySlicker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I lived in Auckland for 3yrs. No contest. Australia wins hands down.
For me NZ ....... , has poor housing standards, ..........
You must be referring to the 'Leaky Building Syndrome' which is a sub-syndrome of the more general New Zealand 'Not my problem/responsibility - pass the buck syndrome' which is much more prevalent in New Zealand society.

However, I still think Auckland is OK - well better than the UK anyway because
  • No Tony Blair
  • No Mad Cows
  • No TV licence - OK I get SKY
  • Only 4 million people in the same area as 60 million
  • Empty roads

I think Oz has NZ beaten on many things including wages, housing, weather, public transport but I like a bit of greenery and a quieter place. I also couldn't work in temeratures that make you think you are on holiday.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:31 am
Banned

Brodie will become famous soon enough

Hmmmm, You must be his other half or his alter ego
and it was absolutely no trouble at all to click screenshoot then click attach, not that it matters
I know it wouldn't take a lot to do it I just wondered why you bothered? Seems very chilidish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.