Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:24 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

Discuss
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
Discuss
Your not working for these are you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4420670.stm

Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:37 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Originally Posted by manxfamily

LOL just read that myself.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: If you've been to NZ why bother with Oz?

Discuss
NZ is a nice enough place, but everything's on too small a scale, and the cost of living is disproportionately high.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 10th 2005 at 4:09 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:41 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
NZ is a nice enough place, but everything's on too small a scale, and the cost of living is disproportinately high.
...and it's full of kiwis.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Discuss
I've lived in NZ for 18 months some years ago - cost me about £40,000 in lost wages, high costs. I couldnt get a job while I was there at all, I was even going for jobs working in shops for $9 per hour and was competing with up to 150 people for each job, many travelling several hours to go to the interviews. In the UK I was a well paid sales manager, in NZ I couldnt get anything. I eventually started playing my guitar in pubs for money and used to make about $100 per week (£40). If it wasn't for the charity of my in-laws I would have been bankrupt. Myself and my Kiwi wife returned to the UK and both had jobs within 2 weeks both paying more than we'd ever earned before. Now we have children, we would like to return downunder - but - once bitten twice shy. If you look on the NZ forum you will see lots of people saying that with the tiny wages and very high costs they are struggling to make ends meet. So where is the middle ground? Answer - Australia. A country which hopefully can give us reasonable job prospects (I am now a data network manager) but where there is a better lifestyle for our 2 children.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Answer:

1. No jobs.
2. Must have job offer before getting visa.
3. No jobs.
4. They say Yis instead of Yes.

Go to Australia = problem solved.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:57 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
NZ is a nice enough place, but everything's on too small a scale, and the cost of living is disproportinately high.
I agree. This is why I'm (probably) heading to OZ, not NZ. I want to be closer to my folks but I'm not prepared to get that parochial. I'm sure I'll face a degree of the same in OZ compared to London but less than NZ.

I can still get a direct flight to Dunedin from Melbourne so hopefully it'll be NZ for the holidays.

My only worry is my support for the All Blacks. Maybe I'll switch to AFL to avoid the issue
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

NZ - beautiful country, love to live there, unfortunately Im not a master sheep shearer, which is probably the only real line of work there.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by manxfamily

Too much like Wales, no offense to the Welsh I love the place, but if I was going to spend heaps moving my whole family and getting rid of everything to do it, I would rather go somewhere different to what I can see an hours journey away and with the weather. NZ has the same weather as here. Plus South Island, the people weren't as friendly, brother in law emigrated to Nz 3 years ago, I think he is waiting till we go to Oz to join us.

Kim
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:15 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Discuss
NZ is a beautiful place granted, but it never floated my boat - I choose Australia anyday over NZ.

and Kimmy 67 is right..it is a lot like my homeland!!! Weather shite too!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:16 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Discuss
I have a friend (Kiwi born and breed) who has lived in London, Madrid, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Singapore and is now back home in Auckland (soon to go back to Singapore). He sent me this "NZ is lame" list:
                        Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:20 pm
                        Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

But there are more sheep in australia than in new zealand
                        Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:21 pm
                        Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

Plus they have a really high suicide rate !! they have a habit of going out into the fields and shooting themselves, thats after they've shot their sheep!

Brother in law had to retrain at college and was working as a security guard yet he was well minted over here and skilled. Now he has a 70km round trip to work!!

We also found it full of older people who love their gardens, now you can't build a country's infrastructure with oldies.
                        Kim
                        Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:22 pm
                        BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fnord
                        I have a friend (Kiwi born and breed) who has lived in London, Madrid, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Singapore and is now back home in Auckland (soon to go back to Singapore). He sent me this "NZ is lame" list:

Its very pretty though! and full of creatures from Lord of the Rings!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.