Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you were us, would you emigrate to Oz?

If you were us, would you emigrate to Oz?

Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:51 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you were us, would you emigrate to Oz?

Why not just apply for PR yourselves, without the use of a migration agent, validate if you get PR, then you have 5 years to decide if the time is right or not? Its affordable that way, and you have plenty of time to weigh up what you want to do.

I also support the theory, if you can afford to try it for a year or so, go for it. You have nothing to lose if you dont like it. (except money of course)
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah apply yourself. Do NOT use an agent. I used all the tips on here to do it ands it wasn't that difficult. Saved couple of grand. Will cost you 1k to apply altogether and take 1.5 yrs. Or come on another visa - don;t know anything about them though

If you don;t do it you'll kick yourselves
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think the hardest thing of all is to have one part of you loving your life in Australia whilst the other part is desperate to have the family close by. Until you try it you'll never know, but after six years on here, I'd say it's a rare poster, close to family, who makes a complete go of it. They struggle with wanting to be in two places at once.
I'm one of those rare posters I guess. We made the move 8 years ago as childless young professionals with nothing to lose and everything to learn. We're still here, 2 kids and a house later, and we think we are the luckiest people on the planet. I am close to my family, but my parents live in France, one of my sisters is in Germany and the other in Egypt so I guess we are used to being away from family. AND I am VERY lucky that my parents can afford to visit once a year. Skype and email just make it easier to communicate even though sometimes you still feel you are missing out.

If you're 'running away' from perceived problems in the UK, the move is unlikely to work. If you're 'running to' perceived lifestyle in Australia, the move is unlikely to work. If you're after an adventure, prepared to give it a go, have an experience and see where it takes you and make no pre conceived judgements, it's likely to be successful
Nothing could be truer! We wanted an adventure and gave it a go. it worked for us. Might not work for everyone.

Originally Posted by kate h
this because you have nothing to lose. we went, loved it, were torn because of the usual family reasons depicted in many of the posts here, and returned - much the richer in experience for it. we will forever be torn, true, but we have learned that we love both places and we had some fantastic experiences in australia and NZ.
DO IT - and you can always come back.
Exactly. You'll never know if you don't give it a go.

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
You would live comfortably on a salary of 120k combined here in Oz. Comparing salaries between the UK and Oz is a waste of time. We live on a lot less than that and have 2 and a bit kids, 2 cars and all the other optional expenses and we are comfortable.
2 and a bit kids How does that work?

Look up threads on cost of living, check out real estate websites and job websites and get a more balanced view on what you would need to live on, the comparison to the UK is misleading.

As far as I can see, you have nothing to loose. You are not uprooting children, the family would cope and you don't have to cut all financial ties with the UK. Keep a hold of the house, rent it out and come over for a while as a test. If you end up back in the UK after a couple of years, at least you have tried.
Sound advice. It is too hard to compare. If you think you can get a job, rent a house and feed yourselves, give it a try. If it's not for you, go back and be happy that you have tried.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

kate h is just really nicekate h is just really nicekate h is just really nicekate h is just really nicekate h is just really nicekate h is just really nicekate h is just really nicekate h is just really nice

good post, elyce. like you, my parents are in france anyway - and could visit australia annually, as yours do. definitely something i remind myself of now and again am glad melbourne has been such a success for you!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

el_diablo_1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everybody for your kind words of advice and support, I have read the responses and taken all on board.

the question now is where to start with the forms, which type of visa is best, but thats another question altogether!

cheers,

Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_diablo_1983
thanks everybody for your kind words of advice and support, I have read the responses and taken all on board.

the question now is where to start with the forms, which type of visa is best, but thats another question altogether!

cheers,

www.immi.gov.au

Just my 2c worth here. The whole "nothing to lose" thing is a load of crap in my opinion. We lost an awful lot coming here. Not only the money aspect, but family who now refuse to speak to either of us because we abandoned them - and not distant family, but parents and siblings who were formerly close. Friends who have moved on with their lives. A marriage on the verge of collapse with very little support here. Unemployment for a very long time for us both (at different times) which causes even more financial hardship. Don't underestimate what exactly there is to lose.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
www.immi.gov.au

Just my 2c worth here. The whole "nothing to lose" thing is a load of crap in my opinion. We lost an awful lot coming here. Not only the money aspect, but family who now refuse to speak to either of us because we abandoned them - and not distant family, but parents and siblings who were formerly close. Friends who have moved on with their lives. A marriage on the verge of collapse with very little support here. Unemployment for a very long time for us both (at different times) which causes even more financial hardship. Don't underestimate what exactly there is to lose.
How true. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 1:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How true. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.
...they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

More seriously, I guess the "nothing to lose" statement always comes from those who made the move and lost nothing. As Dorothy said, the move, on a purely financial basis, is damned expensive for any family. To just chuck that all in and go back again may not even be financial viable for many.

When I first arrived I loathed the place, and I really couldn't tell you why that was now if you asked me.
If I could have just packed up and gone home I would have done it in a shot... but I couldn't. I simply couldn't make it work financially and so I felt trapped here for a long while.

Any family has the potential to lose plenty. It's not always a happy ending.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 1:18 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

More seriously, I guess the "nothing to lose" statement always comes from those who made the move and lost nothing. As Dorothy said, the move, on a purely financial basis, is damned expensive for any family. To just chuck that all in and go back again may not even be financial viable for many.

When I first arrived I loathed the place, and I really couldn't tell you why that was now if you asked me.
If I could have just packed up and gone home I would have done it in a shot... but I couldn't. I simply couldn't make it work financially and so I felt trapped here for a long while.

Any family has the potential to lose plenty. It's not always a happy ending.
yes l guess if you got heaps of money its easy to move back if you don't like it. Do you like the place now or do you still want to go back?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

This is something only you can answer.

I'm married to an Aussie, I lived here for 3.5yrs before moving back to Canada, taking along the Aussie hubby (he left family behind here - not very close to them)

In Canada, we left good jobs, our own home, 2 cars and my parents and my grown children, with whom I am close to. It was the Aussie that was hesitant to leave because of the jobs, the home and the cars.

Since we've come to OZ (in February)...we have landed into better jobs with way better pay. At the moment we are renting, but plans are to build a home next year. We have a nice new car and he has a work car. The only thing missing for me is my family.

So while some may think along the lines of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'....for us, even though we were doing fine in Canada, we are better off here.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:33 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Yes agree there is loads to lose. Before we ping ponged sadly my wife's mum passed away. I will forever regret that year that my wife and daughter could have spent extra with her. If she was alive we would be in the UK that is certain.

It highlighted just how pointless enjoying the Australian "Lifestyle" is without the people you love.

Having experienced this I will say it does irritate me people emigrating for purely financial reasons - actually it makes me angry (but that's just me, and my problem)
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:59 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

If you are both under 30 I would thoroughly recommend taking a sabbatical from your jobs, renting out your home (Perhaps MIL will look after the dogs?) and taking working holiday visa to check out what it is that you're actually hankering after.

My advice is hedge your bets until you know exactly what it is that you are asking for. None of us can tell you what life will be like for you! If you love it, then it's easy enough to come back and sell up. If you don't then you can chalk it up to experience and you still have a home and jobs to come back to.

PR visa, moving everything, selling up and flying over will cost you in excess of 8,000 GBP and that's if you do all the forms yourself without using an agent..... Bringing your dogs over will cost around 3000GBP each if they're sizeable animals. You can see how your savings quickly get eaten up...

Last edited by alipally; Sep 19th 2010 at 4:03 am. Reason: costings added!
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice

It is not an easy decision is it?

We came over jan 09. During the time of actually making the decision i has lists everywhere of pros & cons. In the end we ripped them all up and simply asked ourselves. If we go and dont like it we can always come back, of course noting that we would need to get the money!, BUT if we dont go will we ever ask 'What if ..' in the future. This really helped make our minds up and have not really looked back.

Came over with a job ready and 2 girls in primary school.

Good Luck
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:35 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
yes l guess if you got heaps of money its easy to move back if you don't like it. Do you like the place now or do you still want to go back?
Happy enough now with no plans to go back.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well..I've been away for the weekend and thought I'd see the advice being dispensed..

..all good.

I would on the whole not bother...there has to be some very good reasons to move - like you both are obsessive regular beach bunnies.. or seriously in to Australian-style city living which can be very rewarding. I'd say you'd have to be very geared up financially, and in terms of personal resources to get the most out of this country as it is very expensive for more recent arrivals.

If you are Mr and Mrs InfactReasonablyHappy then stay but come over for a look..and no, traipsing around pretending to be living in Australia doesn't do much - come over and see if it really grabs you (it might) after you have done the basic maths on income and expenditure.

Another thing I notice which counts in your favour - I notice that you actually do something. If all you did was traipse around Tesco at the weekend I would be concerned. You say you are into the outdoors and walks - are you really, or do you just play at it. One problem is that people seem to think they are really into what they think is Australian life but they're not and never will be, and when they try it out, it doesn't work because it never would. Stay at home playing with the bank holiday BBQ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.