Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you travel for work - read this

If you travel for work - read this

Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:38 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: If you travel for work - read this

Originally Posted by scotty9000
I work from home most of the time and spend some time in the office which is interstate. My company pays most of the expenses but not all. I just rang the ATO & they confirmed I could claim the difference using the method you describe.
-- Cheers mate !!
I have already put my tax return in around 1 month ago so am i to late now as already had my refund? bit of a shame if im to late as had a good few nights in hotels travelling to/from work and courses,arrrr...if so ill just need mind on next year!
very good information though,superb
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:41 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by interested16
I have already put my tax return in around 1 month ago so am i to late now as already had my refund? bit of a shame if im to late as had a good few nights in hotels travelling to/from work and courses,arrrr...if so ill just need mind on next year!
You can reclaim up to 4 years mate - so just stick it in next time around
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by interested16
You can ring the tax office up and ask them to vary your return as you have further deductions.They will tell you what to do.

Also if you are a shareholder in companies then travel and hotel expenses to attend AGMs are a deduction also.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:15 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

This is the link to the 2007/2008 Travel Expenses deduction paper

http://law.ato.gov.au/pdf/td2007-021.pdf

Hope this helps, could mean a lot of money back for me if I follow this through and it pans out.

Al
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:41 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
This is a huge tax rebate for people who stay overnight either in australia or outside australia for business travel.

When you first read it it seems unbelievable but its true. My accountant didnt know and a guy at work tipped me off, so was able to get the rebate after educating my accountant

http://law.ato.gov.au/pdf/td2006-043.pdf

For example - you can deduct about 150$ a night for each night in a Aussie city. 200-300$ / night for a stay in an International city. That means - you get a rebate at marginal tax rate for about 50$ in an aussie city and about 100-150$ in a int'l one - Per night!.

If you claim the Per Diem + Incidentals at less than the limit [ or on the limit ] then no evidence is required. For hotels its harder so dont worry about those.

Oh and even better is you can claim back over the last 4 years.
OK thanks SPALEN for all the decent information - tax return finally completed and with around 200 nights away this completed tax year I did all right on the tax refund
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

OK-must do the tax return this weekend before time runs out !!

But I am still a little confused and so wondered if any wise people or accountants that read this can advise ?!

For example, my company generally pays $250/night for a hotel so looking at the figures in the ATO website I would not be able to claim any difference as the company pays more than the ATO allowance ? Is that right ?

As a general rule my company pays $65 / day for meals. So can I claim this difference ?

Have I got the gist of this ??!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:04 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
OK-must do the tax return this weekend before time runs out !!

But I am still a little confused and so wondered if any wise people or accountants that read this can advise ?!

For example, my company generally pays $250/night for a hotel so looking at the figures in the ATO website I would not be able to claim any difference as the company pays more than the ATO allowance ? Is that right ?

As a general rule my company pays $65 / day for meals. So can I claim this difference ?

Have I got the gist of this ??!
Agree forget hotels work on the food and incidental portion.

$65 a day (work for same place as me?

take the area in which you work away from home, eg Brisbane at $92 per day food and about $22 incidentals total 114 - 65 = 49 you can claim as a tax deduction. You need to check your correct income level for which you earn to get the correct rates. Aslo check each city including overseas as they have different rates.

For reference keep a work diary of night away and easier still photocopy expense claims for the relevant nights.

Happy Tax refunding

Spalen - I will buy you a beer if my travels ever get you in drink distance.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:30 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra

no worries -glad it worked out... I couldnt believe it the first time someone told me this, and then the cheque cleared.... beautiful country ;-)
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Thanks Sandra.

So if people are claiming hotels-your companies can't be very generous ?!

Originally Posted by Sandra
Agree forget hotels work on the food and incidental portion.

$65 a day (work for same place as me?

take the area in which you work away from home, eg Brisbane at $92 per day food and about $22 incidentals total 114 - 65 = 49 you can claim as a tax deduction. You need to check your correct income level for which you earn to get the correct rates. Aslo check each city including overseas as they have different rates.

For reference keep a work diary of night away and easier still photocopy expense claims for the relevant nights.

Happy Tax refunding

Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:07 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

For those that have made claims have you had this kinda situation:
overseas travel,
total allowance per ATO is $205
allowance from the employer is $160, BUT adjusted downwards because lunch was included (eg provided by course provider), to $100 and thus this is the amount paid to employee

The ATO just have one lump sum for meals for overseas travel, so do I claim a short fall of $105 or $45 or something else?

has anyone seen any ATO guidance on this matter? links?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:13 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by walaj
For those that have made claims have you had this kinda situation:
overseas travel,
total allowance per ATO is $205
allowance from the employer is $160, BUT adjusted downwards because lunch was included (eg provided by course provider), to $100 and thus this is the amount paid to employee

The ATO just have one lump sum for meals for overseas travel, so do I claim a short fall of $105 or $45 or something else?

has anyone seen any ATO guidance on this matter? links?
You claim the full allowance 205$ less what you were paid 100$ = allowed to get tax deduction of 105$

When they paid you the full allowance of 160$ its 205-160 = 45$

Basically deduct whatever you are given back by your employer from the maximum allowed under the ATO rules and you have that as a deduction

It doesnt matter if you actually ate a 100$ lunch, the point is so long as you are claiming within the 205$ maximum then you dont have to provide evidence
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Thanks Sandra.

So if people are claiming hotels-your companies can't be very generous ?!
The State governments usually set an amount for use by their employees, and universities etc which come under the umbrella of State use this.
In my case for instance the government (my employer) will only pay up to this level, anything over that therefore is claimable by me.
I would hazard a guess that the government set a reasonably low rate as they know we can claim the rest from the ATO. In some cities at certain times of year its nigh on impossible to get a good room/meal at the Govt quoted rate, so to be able to claim back what you have to spend is great .

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 12th 2008 at 4:46 am.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:44 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

thanks spalen for the quick reply - would you do the same when it happens for domestic travel?

(At the moment, I have adjusted where meals have been provided, like if travel had started after or finished before a meal time)
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:36 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by walaj
thanks spalen for the quick reply - would you do the same when it happens for domestic travel?

(At the moment, I have adjusted where meals have been provided, like if travel had started after or finished before a meal time)
Sorry for late reply - I was flying to shanghai :-)

You do the same for domestic travel - that is to say, you are allowed the full allowance for that day, you deduct what your employer pays you, and that leaves you with the amount you are allowed to claim as a tax credit. [ even though domestically you'd have to pay for your own lunhc etc it doesnt matter - you are travelling so you have an allowance ]

As for times - I'd count all nights away from home as a full day, its too complicated otherwise but depends what records you keep. I do 80+ nights/year so its imposs to keep track with different time zones etc.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:10 pm
no longer searching

Originally Posted by spalen
Sorry for late reply - I was flying to shanghai :-)
just cause it took you longer than 6 minutes to reply, you don't need to be so silly apologising

The timing I was refering to was for domestic travel, which the ATO specifically states to adjust food/drink allowances to travel times eg arrive back mid arvo then dinner for that night can not be claimed.

A bit more to claim than I thought, which is always good. Although there are a few things I am not confident of claiming, as before changes part way through the year I don't think it could be classed as 'allowances' (reimbursements of reasonable expenses)- win some, lose some.

anyway thanks for you comments, making me see it as a travel allowance, rather trying to seperate it all out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.