Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you are migrating perhaps you might want to think about private schools???

If you are migrating perhaps you might want to think about private schools???

Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default If you are migrating perhaps you might want to think about private schools???

Hi I just wanted to put something out there because it is something that I was thinking about the last few days.

Had I have stayed in Australia I would have wanted to move my kids to a different school (private primary around $2500 per year if we could've afforded it). Now by the time I realised this I couldn't get a place for my kids. Had I have just put the kids applications in when I moved out to WA I would have had the option. It often doesn't cost anything or sometimes just $50. Some schools will even allow you to put in applications from overseas.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Kind Regards. All the best for your future.

Poppet
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:05 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you are migrating perhaps you might want to think about private schools???

Too true. It took about 7 years on the waiting list for my girls to get into the school of our choice.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

apobateman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you are migrating perhaps you might want to think about private schools???

I have registered my two girls in a private school in Sydney which is stretching my budget to the limit although I was having second thoughts given that there were places offered in the local primary. However, I wasn't expecting all the additional fees that I have been subsequently hit with, with costly extras for extra-curricular activities ($400 per term per activity), book and stationery lists ($650) and the extortionate uniform costs. There has also been a significant rise in the fees which unfortunately occurred after we enrolled and paid the non-refundable tranfer fee..... Clearly this is something I should have looked into closer but with 101 things to be arranged before moving, it was overlooked and has been a costly lesson. If you are looking at a private school, ensure you get advised on all the additional costs as they can be significant.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably be shot down in flames and this does not apply it appears to state schools in Varsity Lakes and no doubt others if you are lucky.

I had not factored this in when coming here but now pay around $6000.00
in private school fees. Our daughter is special needs at what might be called the good end of the spectrum.

State school could not cope (one of the most modern on the coast), she is now in a class of pleasant literate children who want to learn.

Yet again another great thing about Australia is choice over how you live your life.

Last edited by neil248; Dec 29th 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:41 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

depends on the private school. You can spend 30k a year on private school fees in Sydney.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Weebie
depends on the private school. You can spend 30k a year on private school fees in Sydney.
Some people do, but only those who can afford them.

Others make do with something more average, or even less..

How about $3,000pa on private schools in some areas...

A 2009 newspaper report had these figures
The most expensive schools in each State of Australia
VIC: Geelong Grammar in Victoria, fees for year 12 in 2009 will be about $29,000.
NSW: Shore - Sydney Church of England Grammar School. $20,940 for 2009
WA: Christ Church Grammar. $17,560 for 2009
SA: Prince Alfred College. $15,117 for 2009
QLD: Brisbane Girls Grammar. $14,980 for 2009

Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: If you are migrating perhaps you might want to think about private schools???

Our kids are both under 2 years old, but we've already got a private school lined up for them.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A 2009 newspaper report had these figures
I'd be interested to see the Tassie figures. Can you find prices for Scotch Oakburn and St Patrick's?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Our kids are both under 2 years old, but we've already got a private school lined up for them.

I'd be interested to see the Tassie figures. Can you find prices for Scotch Oakburn and St Patrick's?
Neither of those two seem to have fees on their website, but in 2007 the fees quoted were:

Scotch Oakburn College
Prep-Grade 6 $6,100-$8,950
Year 7-10 $9,500-$10,700
Year 11-12 $10,850

St Patrick’s College at that time was:
Year 7-12 $2,565

Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: If you are migrating perhaps you might want to think about private schools???

Thanks. Don't know why, but I always suspected Scotch was much more expensive. Might have something to do with the fact that I used to catch a bus with a lot of St Pats kids when I was in college, and a lot of them were little more than cashed up bogans. The Scotch kids were a cut above.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the key features of private schools is that they have some control over behaviour and who they have in the school.

Naughty boys who don't mend their ways find they don't have a place next term leaving a happy school for every one left.

Poor old State School has to take said naughty boy and does not stand a chance as due to the PC brigade he is untouchable.

We experienced this first hand, caught us out somewhat as we had no way of seeing it coming.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Pick your area right and don't compare to England and I think there is no need for private primary school. However, private high school in certain areas of Perth is absolutely necessary IMO.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

There is a need for private primary school, continuity of education in a decent school is one reason for a start and the others stated above

Last edited by neil248; Dec 29th 2010 at 7:46 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
There is a need for private primary school, continuity of education in a decent school is one reason for a start and the others stated above
Will have to agree to disagree as I don't know your area and you don't know mine. In my area of Perth there is no need for private primary but there is a massive need for private high school IMO.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Will have to agree to disagree as I don't know your area and you don't know mine. In my area of Perth there is no need for private primary but there is a massive need for private high school IMO.
This does not make sense, what happens to these kids when they change from primary to secondary.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by neil248
This does not make sense, what happens to these kids when they change from primary to secondary.
the same as everywhere else in the world when they move from one to another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.