Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so beware

If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so beware

Old Dec 24th 2005, 5:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so beware

I thought I would share a rant and offer a small warning to anyone who has shipped a container since September. Our container is still sat on some crappy dockside in Brisbane since it arrived on the 4th November.

This is of course thanks to the total arse of a computer balls up courtesy of the customs service in Australia. Our container was inspected some weeks ago, everything was fine but we cant have anything simply because the stupid computer wont issue a release notice.

The shipping company has been very good about it and has harassed customs daily requesting a manual release. The queue for those is of course pretty long and the backlog isn't in anyway clear.

So I'd be very wary if you have anything in a container that you might need and expecting it to be delivered relatively soon after landing. Our stuff wont be delivered for at least another week thanks to the Christmas and New Year now making a nice round couple of months of being sat on a dock. So all in all will be 4 months before we expect to see our goods from when they left now.

There - I've ranted now and hope none of this happens to anyone else.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all
Default Re: If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so beware

Originally Posted by Centurion
I thought I would share a rant and offer a small warning to anyone who has shipped a container since September. Our container is still sat on some crappy dockside in Brisbane since it arrived on the 4th November.

We are in Perth, ours was shipped 13th Nov arrived 8th Dec. Been booked in for a 30th Dec delivery. Would have been a week earlier because an item on the info sheet was crossed off by someone so Customs sent the form back with a query. So overall not bad, can't wait.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so beware

We feel really lucky that everything with us was ok, but it can be touch and go. Hope that you get your belongings soon.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 10:09 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so beware

This is of course thanks to the total arse of a computer balls up courtesy of the customs service in Australia. Our container was inspected some weeks ago, everything was fine but we cant have anything simply because the stupid computer wont issue a release notice.

The shipping company has been very good about it and has harassed customs daily requesting a manual release. The queue for those is of course pretty long and the backlog isn't in anyway clear.

So I'd be very wary if you have anything in a container that you might need and expecting it to be delivered relatively soon after landing. Our stuff wont be delivered for at least another week thanks to the Christmas and New Year now making a nice round couple of months of being sat on a dock. So all in all will be 4 months before we expect to see our goods from when they left now.

Hope it gets to you soon mate! Ours left 18th Dec and is going to Sydney. Is the problem just at Brisbane port?
Old Dec 24th 2005, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so bewa

Something has gone wrong there mate.

Our containter left the UK on the 23rd October, landed in Brisbane on 26th November, through customs and AQIS and into storage by 10th December. Delivered to us on Gold Coast Tuesday just gone. No problem at all.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 1:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you have just recently shipped your goods or have in the last month or so bewa

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Something has gone wrong there mate.

Our containter left the UK on the 23rd October, landed in Brisbane on 26th November, through customs and AQIS and into storage by 10th December. Delivered to us on Gold Coast Tuesday just gone. No problem at all.
Can't you post this on the immigration forum where it belongs?

Merry Christmas,

Renth
Old Dec 24th 2005, 11:55 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

There was a problem with the new system 2 months ago but they turned the old one back on and sorted the problems within a few days. Maybe Brizzie is different but I think someone is telling the OP porkies.
Old Dec 25th 2005, 12:22 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours arrived Brisbane Port Nov 11th and was delivered to the door 10 days later - didn't think that was bad. Can't understand why yours is still held up??
Old Dec 25th 2005, 1:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Can't you post this on the immigration forum where it belongs?

Merry Christmas,

Renth
No point in reading a post here and replying on the immi forum. Bog off.
Old Dec 25th 2005, 6:11 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

.Ours did have a snake skin on it but only held it up by couple of days... .
Old Dec 25th 2005, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

midlife crisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Our container arrived in Brisbane on 26 November and we were told that because it did not have its release paperwork it could not be collected for several weeks. At the end of last week we were told that it had now been passed by customs and quarantine and was ready for delivery. All good news until they said that there was a $1900 charge for storage on the wharf for the couple of weeks that it stood there and this had to be paid before we could get our stuff. We could try and claim this back from customs as we were told that it was their fault.

We contacted customs who told us that their records show that the release no. was given on 26 November and as far as they were concerned there was no delay and there could be no claim against them.

Our handlers are adamant that it is customs fault so we are really stuck. We desperately need our stuff so it looks like we will have to pay and fight the charges later. Now I can see that others have had no problem at all I am really cross.

If I were you I check with customs direct to see what they say.When we called them they were very friendly and had all the info on each container on their computer. I would also check with your handlers about the storage fee. We were not given any indication the whole time we were dealing with them that this was a possibility.

I would obviously be very grateful for any help or advice anybody else can give us before we pay.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 12:13 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midlife crisis
Our container arrived in Brisbane on 26 November and we were told that because it did not have its release paperwork it could not be collected for several weeks. At the end of last week we were told that it had now been passed by customs and quarantine and was ready for delivery. All good news until they said that there was a $1900 charge for storage on the wharf for the couple of weeks that it stood there and this had to be paid before we could get our stuff. We could try and claim this back from customs as we were told that it was their fault.

We contacted customs who told us that their records show that the release no. was given on 26 November and as far as they were concerned there was no delay and there could be no claim against them.

Our handlers are adamant that it is customs fault so we are really stuck. We desperately need our stuff so it looks like we will have to pay and fight the charges later. Now I can see that others have had no problem at all I am really cross.

If I were you I check with customs direct to see what they say.When we called them they were very friendly and had all the info on each container on their computer. I would also check with your handlers about the storage fee. We were not given any indication the whole time we were dealing with them that this was a possibility.

I would obviously be very grateful for any help or advice anybody else can give us before we pay.
Get customs to fax you their release documents.
Make photocopies.
Check that the container numbers match - it sounds like a simple cock-up that someone somewhere mis-read a container number or picked up the wrong file.

Send a copy by courier (so it is registered) to your handlers saying that you are enclosing proof that customs released your container on the 26th November as evidenced by this document, and you expect your belongings to be delivered to you immediately as per your contractual agreement without any further additional charge.

Keep the letter short & simple & polite and do not go into any apportioning of blame. Don't mention lawyers yet. Give the handlers the chance to back down gracefully.

Send the letter & photocopy by courier to a named person.

Follow up by a phone call three days later to the named person, asking when your container will be delivered.

See how it goes from there.

Good luck.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 12:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No point in reading a post here and replying on the immi forum. Bog off.
Charming,

I was merely asking to original poster to post on the correct forum. This is lifestyle and culture. Shipping your stuff belongs on the immigraiton forum.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 12:53 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Shipping your stuff belongs on the immigraiton forum.
not wishing to enter an argument, but genuinely, honestly, really? where does it say that shipping stuff belongs on the immigration forum? I didnt think it did, but then maybe I have it wrong?