Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you had 2 years to study......................

If you had 2 years to study......................

Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light
Default If you had 2 years to study......................

Don't know if there is any answer to this, really just looking for a few ideas. So here goes.
We gained our permanent resident visa a few months ago, but due to a few reasons will not be moving out for a couple of years. I'm an aircraft engineer in full time employment, but, due to the nature of my job, I have a lot of free time in work when I could easily be studying.
I have the chance to do an honours degree over 2 years, but it's in Engineering, which, to be honest, doesn't really interest me.
I was considering doing an HNC in Business/Management, but not really sure as I don't know how transferrable/valuable this would be.
Are there any courses out there that would be really beneficial to my prospects when I arrive in OZ. I'm not looking for a complete career change, so I'd still probably be working for an airline in OZ.
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had 2 years to study......................

Any qualifications will help a little but to be honest in my experience if you say HNC to an aussie employer they have no clue what it is, at least thats my experience with my HNC in IT
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:21 pm
excited!

SuperC has a spectacular aura aboutSuperC has a spectacular aura aboutSuperC has a spectacular aura about

hey

Any business or particularly management course looks real good no matter where you go and is quite broad ranging career wise. Can you do a diploma course in the 2 yrs?
Speaking as someone who has gone to night school for 6yrs........pick something you have an interest in!!!!! It can be very hard if especially if you are only doing it for the sake of it.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Don't know if there is any answer to this, really just looking for a few ideas. So here goes.
We gained our permanent resident visa a few months ago, but due to a few reasons will not be moving out for a couple of years. I'm an aircraft engineer in full time employment, but, due to the nature of my job, I have a lot of free time in work when I could easily be studying.
I have the chance to do an honours degree over 2 years, but it's in Engineering, which, to be honest, doesn't really interest me.
I was considering doing an HNC in Business/Management, but not really sure as I don't know how transferrable/valuable this would be.
Are there any courses out there that would be really beneficial to my prospects when I arrive in OZ. I'm not looking for a complete career change, so I'd still probably be working for an airline in OZ.
Thanks in advance.
You need to to an "MBA" Masters in Business Administration - Aussie employers understand those.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dave99
Any qualifications will help a little but to be honest in my experience if you say HNC to an aussie employer they have no clue what it is, at least thats my experience with my HNC in IT
Say "Certificate IV", it's the same level

For HND say "Diploma"

worked for me!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

and check out OTEN (distance learning part of TAFE)

You can do an Australian course from UK by email like I did, that way it is instantly recognised. If you are PR then you don't pay international fees only around A$150 which covers postage for the year.

A diploma course in business would 'normally' take two years at TAFE in Sydney doing around 3.5 days a week in class.

But beauty of OTEN is you can speed along if you have the time.

I got through two years worth of course in 9 months!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrCro
and check out OTEN (distance learning part of TAFE)

You can do an Australian course from UK by email like I did, that way it is instantly recognised. If you are PR then you don't pay international fees only around A$150 which covers postage for the year.

A diploma course in business would 'normally' take two years at TAFE in Sydney doing around 3.5 days a week in class.

But beauty of OTEN is you can speed along if you have the time.

I got through two years worth of course in 9 months!
That sounds exactly what I'm looking for MrCro. Can I pm you?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aussietobe
You need to to an "MBA" Masters in Business Administration - Aussie employers understand those.
Too pricey
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
That sounds exactly what I'm looking for MrCro. Can I pm you?
PM away, you can do Diploma then advanced Diplomas with TAFE which then shortcuts you to aussie degree if you wish to take further.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do an OUA course. You can pace a 3 year degree to 2 years. Or do a graduate in something interesting to you at an Australian University which eliminates that worry of acceptance.

A downside is that your going to be hit up for international fees and so on. So it would be relatively expensive, but then again education is

www.open.edu.au
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
Say "Certificate IV", it's the same level

For HND say "Diploma"

worked for me!
I had HNC gained in UK and it was assessed by overseas qualification board in Australia as an Advanced Diploma.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SuperC
hey

Any business or particularly management course looks real good no matter where you go and is quite broad ranging career wise. Can you do a diploma course in the 2 yrs?
Speaking as someone who has gone to night school for 6yrs........pick something you have an interest in!!!!! It can be very hard if especially if you are only doing it for the sake of it.
That's why I don't want to do any more engineering related study! 20yrs is enough