Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you had £100,000 .........

If you had £100,000 .........

Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had £100,000 .........

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Go home
Yup, me too!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, me too!
((((()))) for you too!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

[quote=Beoz;9268256]If ?[/quote

http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poe...kipling_if.htm

Last edited by bradfordlad; Mar 28th 2011 at 2:10 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Do you ever reckon you will get back Margaret?
Who knows PP, once your here it all gets a bit complicated having kids'n'all. OH, youngest, teen (although not a teen for much longer, nearly 20) and ozzie boyfriend are all going for a visit June/July (we just couldnt stretch to my fare), so will be interesting to know how they all feel when they get back, as, although my kids are settled, they still have a strong link with Scotland, and ozzie boyfriend am sure will love Scotland, in confuses me that he is ozzie , I definately think he should be Scottish!!

We know we're not bad off here, we all have jobs (teen at uni and working part-time, not many of her Scottish friends would've managed to save up the fare on Scottish part-time wages).

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 29th 2011 at 2:34 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Giveit to me. I'll 'look after' it for you.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:47 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you had £100,000 languishing in a British bank account, lived in Australia, had no property investments, did not want to shift it to Australia because of the exchange rate, what would you do with it?

Obviously "Speak to a financial advisor" would be the first response - second response?
Leave it in the UK, at 1.55 not worth moving it, so when you head back to the UK, it will be there to set you up, because when China pops, and Aus goes bang, and everything just gets, well is getting just too expensive to stay in Aus, at least you never lost that $100k on it if you moved it now. As that £100k cost to cost UK to Aus is worth $250k in relative comparison terms.

But wait for the exchange police to tell you otherwise. I have alot more than you, and the exchange rate and the cost of living in Aus, just makes Aus a very unattractive place to emigrate to and live.

The UK ain't as bad as all and sundry make out. good luck

Financial Suicide is not very painless, it lasts a lifetime.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
and the exchange rate and the cost of living in Aus, just makes Aus a very unattractive place to emigrate to and live.
Well I tend to look at it with a glass half full attitude. Higher cost of living means higher salaries (it is in my case) which I can send back to the UK at an amazing exchange rate.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well I tend to look at it with a glass half full attitude. Higher cost of living means higher salaries (it is in my case) which I can send back to the UK at an amazing exchange rate.
The reality of any exchange rate is that what is bad for one is good for another. Overseas holidays for Australians are awesome value at the moment - hence the collapse in the local tourist industry. Everyone I know is heading overseas now. I Think there are now 8-odd daily direct flights from Perth to Bali. We are heading to Hong Kong in a few weeks: HKD8 to the AUD. Superb!

One of the reasons fuel is so expensive in the UK is the weakness of GBP to AUD
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of the reasons fuel is so expensive in the UK is the weakness of GBP to AUD
Oh really?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:59 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Stick it in UK equities with a high dividend yield - eg vodafone at 6% - spread it around to limit the risk. If you are resident for tax in Oz you pay way too much tax to bother with it.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Stick it in UK equities with a high dividend yield - eg vodafone at 6% - spread it around to limit the risk. If you are resident for tax in Oz you pay way too much tax to bother with it.
Hedge with some out of the money puts?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:33 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Hedge with some out of the money puts?
Or get into loan sharking ? 20% or your kneecaps