Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you did not visit first.

If you did not visit first.

Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default If you did not visit first.

This question crops up time and time again.

So for those who did not visit OZ/NZ prior to emigrating do you think you would still have emigrated if you had seen it first. Add reasons if you like.

Me. No way, mainly tho because 10 years ago it was like a scene from a bad Californian drug movie, Plus weather was far hotter than I imagined, like I was used to USA summer, but I could not have imagined this here. Hopefully someone else can add a more up to date insight
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

NZ i would have gone home never to return (even though i married a kiwi!!)

Oz..definitely come to stay. Kiwiman said to me last night that we should have bypassed NZ and come staight here.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

What was it you didn't like about Kiwiland, and how is Oz better - Sorry - Still trying to find out whether we should visit ( Oz ) !!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you did not visit first.

Originally posted by dotty
This question crops up time and time again.

So for those who did not visit OZ/NZ prior to emigrating do you think you would still have emigrated if you had seen it first. Add reasons if you like.

Me. No way, mainly tho because 10 years ago it was like a scene from a bad Californian drug movie, Plus weather was far hotter than I imagined, like I was used to USA summer, but I could not have imagined this here. Hopefully someone else can add a more up to date insight

Hi Dotty,
We didn't visit first just relied on other peoples comments mainly friends and rellies and I must say we're glad we didn't , firstly it saved us heaps of money which we used towards buying a house. By all means people wanting to visit first do it, but we went with our gut feeling and so far it's been the right decision.

Juls
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

visited about 5 times as family always paid for me to visit them (guilty grandparents!! )
As i got older it got harder to return to the drabness of my home town and i felt increasingly Oz sick.
Don't feel like that yet for the UK now that i am here in Oz, yes Dotty, i know i'm a blow in and my expeirience counts for not a great deal in your time spent here, but for now it feels like home
Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:06 am
Badge

I visited for a year beforehand, and liked the sound of the culture so much that I even packed all my stuff expecting the trip to become permanent.

In the end, I had to return for 8 months which was tough which explains all my half-cocked posts but now life is great (even in the povo house).

BM

Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Never been to NZ, just arrived. Would I have done it had I visited before. Yes.

What can you hope to really achieve by having a holiday and at the end of the day, you can allways go somwhere else anyway. Nothing has to be permanent! You stay for as long or short as you want. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket...