Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you was 27 and going on your own .......

If you was 27 and going on your own .......

Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:00 pm
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all
Default If you was 27 and going on your own .......

..... what would be the minimum amount of cash you would take ??

I should know before Christmas if I my visa is granted. But apart of me tells me to save all of next year.

I was thinking of saving £5000 to put to one side for when I wanted to buy a house. But to get me started would £2/3000 be enough to get me on my way. If I stayed for another year I could have double of what I've just put. Bear in mind I have nothing to take with me to furnish a house.

Cheers for any help

Marc.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

SCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud of
Smile Re: If you was 27 and going on your own .......

Originally Posted by Marcopolo

I should know before Christmas if I my visa is granted. But apart of me tells me to save all of next year.

I was thinking of saving £5000 to put to one side for when I wanted to buy a house. But to get me started would £2/3000 be enough to get me on my way. If I stayed for another year I could have double of what I've just put. Bear in mind I have nothing to take with me to furnish a house.

Cheers for any help

Marc.
Hi Marc

Should be more than enough hun. Keep saving if you can. I would advice you probably go for a house share when you get there it is a great way to meet the locals.

Good luck with your plans hun

SCooper
x
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:42 pm
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all
Default Re: If you was 27 and going on your own .......

Cheers mate !! Just done a search for house sharing and theres loads of links. This one really caught my attention .......

Share Accommodation North West Perth, Western Australia returned the ... Guy aged around 24-27 to live with 3 fun girls in large 5 bedroom 1 bathroom house.

Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate !! Just done a search for house sharing and theres loads of links. This one really caught my attention .......

Share Accommodation North West Perth, Western Australia returned the ... Guy aged around 24-27 to live with 3 fun girls in large 5 bedroom 1 bathroom house.

U'd never get to see the bathroom living with 3 girls. !

Try www.thegumtree.com
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:55 pm
Visa granted member

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Try www.thegumtree.com
Cheers for that mate, Im sure Ill find it very useful when it comes to moving
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that mate, Im sure Ill find it very useful when it comes to moving
no worries
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

SCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud of
Talking Re: If you was 27 and going on your own .......

Enjoy

x
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:13 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Cheers for any help

Marc.

Hi Marc, I went when i was 25 on my own, and had the cash to last 1 month, so had to get a job pretty quick, which i did, coz if you have to , you'll find employment believe you me.

I shared a house with 4 other people , so paid next to nothing in rent.
I managed to save for around 3 months, then did a bit of travelling, then worked again , shared again. Don't know what its like these days, but to get a house share was dead easy, especially as i mainly worked in hosps (nurse). Although i did work in a pub and a factory (loved the factory , met lots of fab people)

I wasn't half as sensible as you sound, it was a spur of the moment thing, got a holiday visa and left with my last months wages from work
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:27 pm
Visa granted member

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Hi Marc, I went when i was 25 on my own, and had the cash to last 1 month, so had to get a job pretty quick, which i did, coz if you have to , you'll find employment believe you me.

I wasn't half as sensible as you sound, it was a spur of the moment thing, got a holiday visa and left with my last months wages from work
If you dont mind me asking, how old are you now ??

Im lucky on the job front as I kept in touch with someone that I worked with that left for Oz 8 years ago. He emailed me the other day about what stage my visa is at as his boss is looking at taking someone on. Im gutted to be honest as I can see this chance passing my by. But he's told me that I'll be fine once I get there.

Marc.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:28 pm
Banned

Gnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Try www.thegumtree.com
Come come! When I was a bit younger than Marcopolo, I shared a house in London with 3 other girls and one guy - Hugh. Bit of a dead loss, wuz Hugh. We thought we had a mouse in the premises, so we bought a mousetrap, baited it and set it. Took all 4 of us to shove Hugh down the stairs in front of us the next morning to go and deal with the dead mouse. The trap had been sprung, bait eaten, but the mouse had scarpered. So we called in Rent-A-Cat next, which did the trick.

Hugh was also CONVINCED that he was absolutely irresistible to wealthy American Widows of Ancient but rolling-in-loot Vintage. He used to spend about 3 hours cluttering up the bathroom on Saturday avos. Come Sunday morning, he was always on his tod in his garret in the attic however.... Sad life, really, being a young and (in his opinion at any rate) virile bloke who even Rich Widows don't want, innit?

Lurve
Gnut
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:06 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Hello mate i will hopefully be travelling at the end of the year early next, to be honest save as much as you can, the money you have suggested should last 3 months, me being oiver cautious will be taking more

Justin
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:25 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you now ??

Im lucky on the job front as I kept in touch with someone that I worked with that left for Oz 8 years ago. He emailed me the other day about what stage my visa is at as his boss is looking at taking someone on. Im gutted to be honest as I can see this chance passing my by. But he's told me that I'll be fine once I get there.

Marc.

Eeeeeeeeek now 42, and regretting the fact i didn't stay longer in aus and do lots more travelling when i was young

Go for it Marc, yes i wish i had been more sensible with money, material things have never really bothered me (untill now, and i realise am poor ), but life is full of other more important stuff,

One of the guys i work with , his daughter is currently travelling aus (albeit with a friend), but he always brings in her photos, card etc to show me, and boy are they having a ball She has worked from grape picking to waitress on some ship or other (and am dead jealous, wish i was that age again, she is 25).

Last edited by Margaret2; Jun 11th 2006 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 11:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Pity it wasn't 5 fun girls in small 3 bed?
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Pity it wasn't 5 fun girls in small 3 bed?
those were the days.

I've now got 3 girls in 3 beds.

But one's my daughter, and one's the bloody cat.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for any help

Marc.
Hi Marc
Yeah, you should be right. I know there's 2 of us, but we came over last year with $5000. We thought that would be enough to keep us going until we got jobs. Turned out we both got jobs within 3 weeks, so we didn't need to eat into too much money and managed to save most of the money for a house deposit! I noticed in your profile you're a printer. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting work, but I can only speak for the Brisbane area (I'm a Mac Operator in a prepress dept).
If you're going to be share housing when you get here, all the better. It gives you time to accumulate furniture, and meet people.
Good Luck!
Jen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.