Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If my mum can do it, anyone can !

If my mum can do it, anyone can !

Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Smile If my mum can do it, anyone can !

Just a word of hope for anyone whos family are saying they won't ever visit.
When we told my mum we were leaving, she said she would never be able to come, couldn't do the journey, flight etc, as shes 70 & on her own.
Then she renewed her passport, just in case & for "identity reasons"
Then when we bought the house, she priced up flights & looked into it a bit more.
Then she rang one day to say a friend had found a really cheap flight, but she had to book it that week, & she did
Shes just gone home after 7 weeks. The first few weeks she said she might come again in a few years, by the time she left at the airport, she was planning on coming back next September
So the story is, never say never, people have change of heart when you least expect them to & roll on next year when shes back
Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If my mum can do it, anyone can !

Originally Posted by woogle
When we told my mum we were leaving, she said she would never be able to come, couldn't do the journey, flight etc, as shes 70 & on her own.
Then when we bought the house, she priced up flights & looked into it a bit more.
Then she rang one day to say a friend had found a really cheap flight, but she had to book it that week, & she did
Shes just gone home after 7 weeks. The first few weeks she said she might come again in a few years, by the time she left at the airport, she was planning on coming back next September
So the story is, never say never, people have change of heart when you least expect them to & roll on next year when shes back
Thanks for sharing your story - It has given me hope and I am sure it will give others hope too
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 1:10 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Aw, that's lovely Good on her
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

John50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the rough

I hope my mum will do the same she is 70 also and said before we left that she wouldnt/couldnt fly that far.

Here`s hoping
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Well done to your mum. My mum is trying to bring her friend the first time. Hopefully she will want to come more once she's been.

Great story.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:27 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Lol aint that the truth,

My dad will never visit, I think he is still of the opinion, Australians, drive around on dusty roads, with string vests on creating clouds of dusts, whilst cracking a coldie.
However , Debs mum has just left us, and god was i glad to see the bloody back of her.
It was great, that she came, spent time, and did the "lets show off australia" tour . But its great also to get back to normal, and have your own space...

It is very humbling to sit and contemplate the enormous ordeal it can be for older ppl, parents etc make and endure, on the seemingly short 23hr journey across the world.
It never ceases to bring a smile to my face when i meet a loved one at an airport, and conversely can only imagine the reverse of which, our relatives felt when we left the Uk.

Good onya mum for making the effort, and making a date for a revisit. Its good HUH !
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I think alot of mum's say the same thing. That they won't visit.

My mum did the same. But she is coming out to see us soon Curiosty killed the cat i think
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:44 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Lol aint that the truth,

My dad will never visit, I think he is still of the opinion, Australians, drive around on dusty roads, with string vests on creating clouds of dusts, whilst cracking a coldie..

!
You obviously dont live in Perth, they still do here!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:49 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
You obviously dont live in Perth, they still do here!!
They still do here, I was being Ironic. lol

I dont think, anyone from outside Australia, having never visited Australia, can comprehend the paradox, that Australia really is..
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

I was just glad that she enjoyed it, it would have been awful if shed hated the place.
She'll be much happier now she can picture where we are & she managed to meet most of our friends, so she knows we're happy & settled.
But yes, after 7 weeks of my mum & 7 weeks of the MIL, with just a week in between, we're happy bunnies just getting back into our normal routine
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:08 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad said the same as he is terrified of flying but he comes out here in 4 weeks time its took 2 years but he's finally coming!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

cheets is an unknown quantity at this point

This great my mother in law is coming for the first time she's 72 and will be on her own, can you tell me who did she fly with. We have looked at Singapore air as we have been told they are good and will look after her. If you can give any advise so I can reassure her of others in the same boat.

Thanks
Debbie
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
My dad said the same as he is terrified of flying but he comes out here in 4 weeks time its took 2 years but he's finally coming!!!

Aww that's nice! My step dad won't come out at all for same reasons ... we've been here 7 years LOL!!! My mum's been out a couple of times though. I wish he would come as it would be so nice for the kids to see where they live and go to school etc.

Oh well he helps out with our fares to go back to UK instead so I can't complain!!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Mid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really nice

My Mother inlaw is hopefully coming in September.She too said she would never come over because of her fear of flying.But after a bit of councilling and a "dry run" over to France she says she might come over with FIL
She misses the kids too much especially her only grandson who she dreams about most nights apperently
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough

What a great story. It gives a little hope to others.
We have the same situation with my in laws, they wont come as they said they will only say goodbye once and that was when we left Uk. I hope they change their minds, they are both struggling without us but their stubbornness is stopping them and we have only been away 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.