Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If it's worth concidering - then which product.

If it's worth concidering - then which product.

Old Nov 18th 2002, 8:16 am
joeball

Default If it's worth concidering - then which product.

When we get the go ahead to Oz I'm considering hiring a larger shipment container than needed so it can be filled with 'stuff' i.e antiques, furniture etc in the hope that I could sell it for a profit in Australia. (Not before doing extensive research, costing.)
Why waste an export opportunity.
What I would like help on is what 'stuff' to take. Is there merchandise in UK that is highly valued in Oz.

Ten years ago I know someone who did the same thing with Levi jeans in Russia and made a fortune.

Any advise would be greatly received.
Joe

Old Nov 18th 2002, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If it's worth concidering - then which product.

I think I heard something about you have to own goods for at least 12 months or you have to pay import duty or such like. Better check it out first.

Careful of wood stuff, different climate so might not behave well.

Good Luck
Mash...

Originally posted by joeball
When we get the go ahead to Oz I'm considering hiring a larger shipment container than needed so it can be filled with 'stuff' i.e antiques, furniture etc in the hope that I could sell it for a profit in Australia. (Not before doing extensive research, costing.)
What I would like help on is what 'stuff' to take. Is there merchandise in UK that is highly valued in Oz.

Ten years ago I know someone who did the same thing with Levi jeans in Russia and made a fortune.

Joe
Old Nov 18th 2002, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point

Customs are very active in searching out containers.
You have to provide a detailed inventory and they will open boxes! So, importing furniture in has other implications - they need to be quarantined and you may have to pay more.

Besides, all goods imported must be 12 months or older and is your personal effects for migration purposes. So have one lounge set is fine. But bringing in 3 or 4 lounge sets and 6-10 beds may be a commercial import!
Old Nov 18th 2002, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Joe
After reading a few of the posts on this forum, I would forget your antiques and fill your container with Cadbury's Chocolate, Ketchup, Iron Bru, fabric softner & a tandoori ovan .... you'll make a bloody fortune!

Cheers Doub
Old Nov 18th 2002, 11:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Joe
Joeball... it's worth looking into!
I can answer this one, as my father owns an antique shop in the UK.
One of his regular customers is an ozzie... he comes in once a year , basically buys up everything in my fathers shop! (Hundreds of thousands of pounds worth), basically cleans my fathers stock out... ships it to Australia ... and according to my father (I've never met this bloke)... he's rolling in it, very wealthy, he sells it here in Australia for a big mark up.

You could call my father the middle man... he buys most of his stuff in Auctions, sells it in his shop... this Aussie buys it from my father retail.

He goes to the UK every year.. for his antique shopping trip... to stock up for his shop in Australia.

Antiques in Australia are expensive.
I have a bit of knowledge on this subject (although not a buff)... because that's my fathers trade. But you wouldn't believe the cr*p they sell here as antiques... and the prices.

Yes it's worth doing/ looking into... if you really know your antiques, and know what your doing.

cheers