Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If i work as a freelance using my ABN, do i need to do anything about tax?

If i work as a freelance using my ABN, do i need to do anything about tax?

Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

perz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If i work as a freelance using my ABN, do i need to do anything about tax?

hi, it's end of financial year and i wonder about my work. I've worked as a freelance and give my client invoices with my ABN number. Im new here, don't really know much about the rules and law. Do I need to do anything about tax? do I need to lodge any applications or documents? or there's nothing I have to do and just keep working? thanks
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:08 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: If i work as a freelance using my ABN, do i need to do anything about tax?

I would go see an accountant. Its not too expensive, about $100 for them to do a tax return, and they generally get more money back than you would have done had you filled it in yourself.

If you do go the DIY route, you need to grab a taxpack (from the post office if you're in SA - not sure about other states), and from there on its its just like a return in the UK.

The fact that you are running a business changes little unless you earn over 50k, and/or use GST.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:17 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If i work as a freelance using my ABN, do i need to do anything about tax?

You should complete a summary of your self employment income and allowable expenses and include these on the year end personal Tax Return.

I suggest that you might have a qualified accountant prepare and sign off on the accounts, particularly if you think they might be needed for the purpose of a finance/mortgage application in the future - accounts prepared and signed by a qualified accountant have more credibility than accounts prepared by the taxpayer him/her self.

It will cost more than $100 to prepare business accounts and the Tax Return, but the cost is tax deductible.

Feel able to contact me if you need an accountant's name and number.

Best regards.