Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If I knew then, what I know now...

Wikiposts

If I knew then, what I know now...

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:40 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Try the new Boosts, they are scrumm didily dumptious and I am sorry to say NICER than the ones you get in England.

And the King size ones come in 2 halves so you can say to yourself "I'll only eat half so it is not as fattening" and then sneakily eat the 2nd half an hour later.

MMMMMMMM
Kala
Hi are you allowed to put non perishable food in the shipping container?? want to bring a load of marmite
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:03 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi are you allowed to put non perishable food in the shipping container?? want to bring a load of marmite
You can buy Marmite here, same jar as the Uk but it is called My Mate.

Do not whatever you do buy the other brands of Marmite cos they are crap

You can pretty much get everything here if you look for it.

Kala
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
My tip.

Get on the waiting list of a number of private schools long before you actually make the move.

are catholic schools classed as private schools??
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:10 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
You can buy Marmite here, same jar as the Uk but it is called My Mate.

Do not whatever you do buy the other brands of Marmite cos they are crap

You can pretty much get everything here if you look for it.

Kala
Hi Kala

Could you tell me where so I can pass it on to an interested party.

Many thanks

Shirley
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rooksie
are catholic schools classed as private schools??
Yes, I think they have their own website.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu
All babies do it and adapt quite fine

excellent

and also, some of us have 3 kids and could not possibly afford the reccie trip, why not just go for it and experience it, if you dont like it you can go somewhere else
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
excellent

and also, some of us have 3 kids and could not possibly afford the reccie trip, why not just go for it and experience it, if you dont like it you can go somewhere else
Reccie trips are a recent development. Until the general populace got enough discretionary income; they migrated blind.

Sometimes it was a failure but mostly it was a roaring success. You see, even if the parents wanted everything they had back home in the new country, the children adapted and thrived. And that's what counts.

I can remember my grandmother who came out from Yorkshire in 1911 (or somewhere close to that) and occasionally grizzled but when us grandchildren asked if she would want to go back, she expressed surprise at the Q and was fairly vocal with her desire to stay in the place she had lived in for decades.

The only downside of all that was we were told stories of England and as children built up an image. Reality as was shown on TV when we got it in the mid 1960s was vastly different :-)
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

My tip - expect to only start feeling at home and like you're finally here after two years. I am a very adaptable person, and everytime I go somewhere new I love it to bits, but have realised you only really acclimatise after about two years. Some take longer. But for two years expect to feel a bit lost, unsure, stressed out and not-quite-right Thereafter it only gets better.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:48 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Hi Kala

Could you tell me where so I can pass it on to an interested party.

Many thanks

Shirley
I live in Geraldton (450k's north of Perth) and can get it here in a few of the smaller local supermarkets, I haven't seen it in our coles or woolies.

Dewsons do it who I think are a WA company so there are no doubt some in Perth. IGA/Supavalu also do it. It is about $4 for a small jar.
Kala
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Quokka
Yes, I think they have their own website.

oh bugger - so its gonna hurt financially !!!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:04 pm
ABCDiamond

oh bugger - so its gonna hurt financially !!!
These are the figures for QLD Catholic schools

Fees in Catholic schools?
The Catholic Education Council of the Archdiocese sets minimum recommended fees and charges on an annual basis.
All BAC ’s charge the recommended fee.
Parishes and parish schools set the fee levels at a local level in their own schools.

In 2004, the recommended fee levels are:
Primary:
Preschool $680 per student
Primary $680 per student, $960 for two children, $1,170 per family of 3 or more students
Building fund contribution $340 per primary school family

Secondary:
Junior Secondary $1,440 per student
$2,400 per family (2 students or more)
Senior Secondary An additional fee of $108 is charged for each child in senior secondary
Compulsory building fund levy per family $440.

Cut and paste from here

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
These are the figures for QLD Catholic schools

Fees in Catholic schools?
The Catholic Education Council of the Archdiocese sets minimum recommended fees and charges on an annual basis.
All BAC ’s charge the recommended fee.
Parishes and parish schools set the fee levels at a local level in their own schools.

In 2004, the recommended fee levels are:
Primary:
Preschool $680 per student
Primary $680 per student, $960 for two children, $1,170 per family of 3 or more students
Building fund contribution $340 per primary school family

Secondary:
Junior Secondary $1,440 per student
$2,400 per family (2 students or more)
Senior Secondary An additional fee of $108 is charged for each child in senior secondary
Compulsory building fund levy per family $440.

Cut and paste from here

Ahhh thats not nearly half as bad as i expected!!!! phew

and on an annual basis, not term - bonus!!

thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Ahhh thats not nearly half as bad as i expected!!!! phew

and on an annual basis, not term - bonus!!

thanks.
Catholic Schools tend to be a bit cheaper, the Christian ones are from about $2,000 to $4,000 per year, whilst the Independent private schools start from about $5,000 per year

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Catholic Schools tend to be a bit cheaper, the Christian ones are from about $2,000 to $4,000 per year, whilst the Independent private schools start from about $5,000 per year

all seems lightyears away at the moment however!!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:24 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Reccie trips are a recent development. Until the general populace got enough discretionary income; they migrated blind.

Sometimes it was a failure but mostly it was a roaring success. You see, even if the parents wanted everything they had back home in the new country, the children adapted and thrived. And that's what counts.

I can remember my grandmother who came out from Yorkshire in 1911 (or somewhere close to that) and occasionally grizzled but when us grandchildren asked if she would want to go back, she expressed surprise at the Q and was fairly vocal with her desire to stay in the place she had lived in for decades.

The only downside of all that was we were told stories of England and as children built up an image. Reality as was shown on TV when we got it in the mid 1960s was vastly different :-)

I always think that people like your grandmother must have been fascinating to listen to. Contrasting Yorkshire - city or countryside - on a drizzly November day with Australia. I wonder how she fitted in - was she unusual (being a migrant) at that time? (or were the numbers similar to today?) Also just before WW1 and all the trauma that it entailed.

Has Australia kept aural histories of early 20th C. migrants?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.