Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

if it doesn't rain it...

if it doesn't rain it...

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:39 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default if it doesn't rain it...

...throws great big bluddy halestones at ya!!

well we were all sat outside yesterday having a bbq watching the melbourne cup build-up when we start to hear thunder in the back ground. Then slowly the sky darkens and the rain starts to gently fall. i love thunder storms so i was quite excited about this on its own. Slowly we start to hear the ping of small halestones falling on the tin rough. ooo cool we all thought, halestones... then we heard a BANG!... wha the fick! BANG! BANG! BANG! bluddy halestones falling the size of my head! well ok maybe not my head but the biggest we saw was about 1.5 inches, and they were coming down fast! Then after all that cleared up the rain came down by the bucket load. I've never seen anything like it i swear. Later, speaking to a chap who's been in canberra 25 years, he said the same it was a rare event up here. I bluddy hope so!

I could wait to get out and check on the bike, i had images of it laying in bits on the floor. But know, they make em of tough stuff at BMW. not even a scratch! A few cars had been swept down the carpark but the bike stopped them from being washed away never to be seen again.... ok maybe not.

Well after the excitement of the weather and finishing off at work (it was a business centre get together to watch the race by the way) i made my way home to find the flat half flooded. luckyly it was deep and the flat is tiled on all floors so it wasn't too bad to clean up. the landlady came down and said she'd already been in and mopped most of it up, but there was still water everywhere. she said the water had flooded the drive just outside the flat which then had poored in through the door. aparently the next doors house was the same.

so if you hear anyone say the weather is nice in canberra ever again, just kick me ok?

Oh yeah and my stuff is arriving today!!! Just in time for halo 2 next week! lol (oops shouldn't say that, there goes my grown up image!)

I'm a bit concerned as the flat is furnished and i don't think i'll have enough room to get it all in... this is going to be an interesting day too!

anyway, hope you're all well and made lots of money on the races. (i didn't)

Leigh
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if it doesn't rain it...

[QUOTE=Oh yeah and my stuff is arriving today!!! Just in time for halo 2 next week! lol (oops shouldn't say that, there goes my grown up image!)

Leigh[/QUOTE]

Are you a closet beanie baby fan, scuts?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:54 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scutterUK
...throws great big bluddy halestones at ya!!

well we were all sat outside yesterday having a bbq watching the melbourne cup build-up when we start to hear thunder in the back ground. Then slowly the sky darkens and the rain starts to gently fall. i love thunder storms so i was quite excited about this on its own. Slowly we start to hear the ping of small halestones falling on the tin rough. ooo cool we all thought, halestones... then we heard a BANG!... wha the fick! BANG! BANG! BANG! bluddy halestones falling the size of my head! well ok maybe not my head but the biggest we saw was about 1.5 inches, and they were coming down fast! Then after all that cleared up the rain came down by the bucket load. I've never seen anything like it i swear. Later, speaking to a chap who's been in canberra 25 years, he said the same it was a rare event up here. I bluddy hope so!

I could wait to get out and check on the bike, i had images of it laying in bits on the floor. But know, they make em of tough stuff at BMW. not even a scratch! A few cars had been swept down the carpark but the bike stopped them from being washed away never to be seen again.... ok maybe not.

Well after the excitement of the weather and finishing off at work (it was a business centre get together to watch the race by the way) i made my way home to find the flat half flooded. luckyly it was deep and the flat is tiled on all floors so it wasn't too bad to clean up. the landlady came down and said she'd already been in and mopped most of it up, but there was still water everywhere. she said the water had flooded the drive just outside the flat which then had poored in through the door. aparently the next doors house was the same.

so if you hear anyone say the weather is nice in canberra ever again, just kick me ok?

Oh yeah and my stuff is arriving today!!! Just in time for halo 2 next week! lol (oops shouldn't say that, there goes my grown up image!)

I'm a bit concerned as the flat is furnished and i don't think i'll have enough room to get it all in... this is going to be an interesting day too!

anyway, hope you're all well and made lots of money on the races. (i didn't)

Leigh
Oh Blimey, Leigh, hope you'vee parked the bike up somewhere high now, in case it happens again

I live about 5 miles from Flemington. We had a fab bright morning yesterday, with high blue skies & dazzling sunshine, but guess what? At about 1:30 pm, dense black clouds rolled over, the skies opened, we had that special Melbourne-style horizontal rain again, all my west-facing windows leaked like sieves (again) and a thick mist set in, so's we couldn't see the bay (about 250m from the house). This continued for most of the rest of the day....

So it rains on Bank Holidays here in Oz, too!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:58 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Oh Blimey, Leigh, hope you'vee parked the bike up somewhere high now, in case it happens again

I live about 5 miles from Flemington. We had a fab bright morning yesterday, with high blue skies & dazzling sunshine, but guess what? At about 1:30 pm, dense black clouds rolled over, the skies opened, we had that special Melbourne-style horizontal rain again, all my west-facing windows leaked like sieves (again) and a thick mist set in, so's we couldn't see the bay (about 250m from the house). This continued for most of the rest of the day....

So it rains on Bank Holidays here in Oz, too!

Cheers,
Anya.

i don't mind the rain so much if it blows over to leave a deep blue sky in its wake instead of more grey cloud.

... pp1, i dont get ya. what's a beanie baby? :P
and by the way, everything got here ok with the exception of a stand lamp which broke in half, and a toolbox which still hasn't turned up. they don't even think it's left the UK yet! Good job i was smart enough to split my tools up in to two tool boxes eh?? I got half of them, just not the best half.

so if anyone wants any paper or cardboard boxes, i got a flat full!!!

Leigh

Last edited by scutterUK; Nov 3rd 2004 at 11:01 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:24 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the thunderstorms in AussieLand are pretty special..........rain has a totally different meaning here as you found out
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Look on the bright side, at least your stuff hadn't turned up and got ruined.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:31 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Ah well Leigh, it's all an adventure, eh.

And now that you've shattered the myth of your grown up persona, what else have you been up to? Any exciting gossip to report?

You know Sue and I need this details......it keeps us going.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 8:21 pm
life begins again...

Originally Posted by bundy
LOL! Ah well Leigh, it's all an adventure, eh.

And now that you've shattered the myth of your grown up persona, what else have you been up to? Any exciting gossip to report?

You know Sue and I need this details......it keeps us going.
eee you sound like a pair of old women... or one half of em. i can just see you and sue gossiping over the back yard fence.

no nothing exciting to report. i think i've decided what to do about work though. i talked it through with my mate over here and he's ok with me doing the business part time for now. so it leaves me open to retrain part time either at uni or somewhere else. i'm still thinking about it while i'm fighting my way through all this brown paper and boxes.... but then again i could change my mind tomorrow.....

i looked in to joining the police, but they're not accepting anyone at the moment, well apart from non police people. i didn't apply for that job in manly, the money looked ok but the work sounded abit tooo easy for my vast talents. and i'm still not sure about joing one of the forces,... it's that commitment thing again.

anyone know where i can get a box full of aussie plugs cheap? they're bluddy expensive for what they are if you buy them singularly.

anyway better get my gear on and get to work. i can't wait to come home and play with my toys tonight.... it was like all my christmases all over again last night, i found stuff i'd forgotten i'd packed.... like a box of straws???!

anyway talk to ya later.

leigh

**!*!*! by the way i think this 3 similies per message is a load of crap!!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

OK you have now officially lost the plot.

I need to know what was going on in your head when you packed a box of straws.
:scared:
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:45 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

eee you sound like a pair of old women... or one half of em. i can just see you and sue gossiping over the back yard fence.
Got it in one
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:23 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

cheeky!!!!

i looked in to joining the police,
hmmmm.....leigh....uniform.......

i can't wait to come home and play with my toys tonight....
:scared:

sue
Old Nov 6th 2004, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Well I hope you had fun playing with your straws - I mean toys!!!!

Nice to hear from you matey - was beginning to think you and bike had gone off on massive road trip!!

You must have jinxed yourself after posting that picture of the Canberra blue sky - Karma!!!

I have just been looking at houses over there on web - more confused now than ever! I'm going to be working in the city, but the surburbs round there seem to be mostly flats!!! Where abouts are you living?
It's not that big an issue - as new employer are putting us up in flat for the first month.

Keep in touch.x