Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IELTS standards sham!

IELTS standards sham!

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS standards sham!

Originally Posted by pigwhocouldfly
I possibly wouldn't have started a thread about it, but I have been known to voice my concerns regarding IELTS on a number of other threads before my OH took her exam.

To give you an example, I have never been caught speeding in 14 years of driving, but it doesn't stop me complaining about speed cameras!
Could you give links to those threads, please? A quick squiz at your previous posts only shows you voicing your concerns after your wife failed to get 7 in each band. Prior to that it was only your wife asking about nursing registration and ENS visas.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Not entirely true, I will still be complaining about IELTS even after she has passed, that be the re-mark or even a further test. I believe the problems I have with the exam are more complex than that of my OH failing a section of the IELTS.
You are sure fitting the whinging stereotype. Just get over it. Or even better, create a username for your wife and let her talk for herself. You seem to be doing all the talking about what you this and you that.

Your not one of these control freaks who voices your own opinion on behalf of others are you?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartantopgun
You are sure fitting the whinging stereotype. Just get over it. Or even better, create a username for your wife and let her talk for herself. You seem to be doing all the talking about what you this and you that.

Your not one of these control freaks who voices your own opinion on behalf of others are you?
Eh? This is a discussion forum. I think people are entitled to voice their opinions in places like this. Just as you're entitled share you're opinion on people, whether its relevant to the point or not.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Here here I say. Or is it hear hear ;-)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Edit: Just to add, why doesn't the NMC, that is the Nursing and Midwifery Council in the UK by the way, insist on IELTS to be a mandatory requirement for all newly qualified nurses even if they have qualified in the UK? Surely if IELTS was that important wouldn't this be the case?
All non-EU nurses DO have to sit the IELTS exam...this includes Australian, NZ nurses...and I quote from the NMC website...

"Question;- Why does the NMC expect nurses and midwives from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada and the USA to pass an English language test before applying for registration? Will the NMC consider waiving the IELTS requirements for these countries in the future?

Answer:- All overseas applicants are required to meet the NMC standard for English language regardless of where they come from. This ensures that all applicants meet the same standard in a system that is equitable, fair and non-discriminatory. There are no plans by the NMC at present to waive the IELTS requirements for these countries"
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

pigwhocouldfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Could you give links to those threads, please? A quick squiz at your previous posts only shows you voicing your concerns after your wife failed to get 7 in each band. Prior to that it was only your wife asking about nursing registration and ENS visas.

Errr so I take it this is the only forum on the entire net regarding a move to another country?? I think not
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

No tartan, and I am sure she can create her own username if she so wishes to, or do you think my OH is not capable of that either?

And I couldn't be further from the label 'control freak' if I tried, I am just a person voicing my problems on an open forum, I believe that is what it is designed for

Edit: And while we are all on each others case regarding our grammar on this thread I thought I would have a go, Tartantopgun it is You're not one of those and not Your I thankyou!

Last edited by pigwhocouldfly; Sep 2nd 2010 at 8:59 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No tartan, and I am sure she can create her own username if she so wishes to, or do you think my OH is not capable of that either?

And I couldn't be further from the label 'control freak' if I tried, I am just a person voicing my problems on an open forum, I believe that is what it is designed for
As the username is your wife's I believe it's you who should create your own username. We do encourage husband and wife posters to have their own usernames and then to let us know so that we know you're a unit.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice
Default Re: IELTS machine rolls on

I mean secondary school English isn't that much of an high standard is it?
Depends on the schooling I guess. In my country sec school English takes you up to a London GSCE 'O' Level (both language and literature papers - at 15/16yrs)... in Malta Grade C is the lowest acceptable, therefore if one gets a D, s/he is considered to have failed the exam.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
All non-EU nurses DO have to sit the IELTS exam...this includes Australian, NZ nurses...and I quote from the NMC website...

"Question;- Why does the NMC expect nurses and midwives from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada and the USA to pass an English language test before applying for registration? Will the NMC consider waiving the IELTS requirements for these countries in the future?
But I am talking about the need for a UK nurse to prove IELTS for UK registration with the NMC, not nurses from other countries.

Surely if IELTS was an important requirement for any nurse to do their job to a higher standard why isn't this implemented?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough

That is not what I am saying tartantopgun, I was just pointing out that a degree
in nursing cannot be obtained through not having a good concept of the English language when taught in English.
Also a number of years in the nursing profession in the UK should count for something, after all people's lives are at stake.
I havn't read all the posts as there are so many! I too see the IELTS as a money spinner. However, I do not think that they would purposefully mark people down in order to fail them and make more money. It is simply a test that requires 7 in all four areas. I have a BSc Midwifery and could not have got this without good writing, reading and communication skills. I found it very frustrating that I had completed 3 years of study and that potentially failing IELTS could mean I couldn't practice as a Midwife, as I am a Midwife!!! It is annoying, but unfortunately has to be done. Hopefully the fact that your wife is educated to degree level will give her a good chance of passing next time . I wish you lots of luck. It is very stressful when your career depends on a good pass in all areas. Everything crossed for you .

Pops x
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As the username is your wife's I believe it's you who should create your own username. We do encourage husband and wife posters to have their own usernames and then to let us know so that we know you're a unit.
I don't think I will bother with my own username moneypenny, as I don't enjoy the whole experience of posting on these forums anyway.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Popsicals

I havn't read all the posts as there are so many! I too see the IELTS as a money spinner. However, I do not think that they would purposefully mark people down in order to fail them and make more money. It is simply a test that requires 7 in all four areas. I have a BSc Midwifery and could not have got this without good writing, reading and communication skills. I found it very frustrating that I had completed 3 years of study and that potentially failing IELTS could mean I couldn't practice as a Midwife, as I am a Midwife!!! It is annoying, but unfortunately has to be done. Hopefully the fact that your wife is educated to degree level will give her a good chance of passing next time . I wish you lots of luck. It is very stressful when your career depends on a good pass in all areas. Everything crossed for you .

Pops x
Thankyou so much for your support pops
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Popsicals

Pops x
IELTS set the tests and mark them. The organisations that use the IELTS system set the pass mark so it's nothing to do with IELTS if someone passes or fails. It's down to DIAC.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itxrd
Here here I say. Or is it hear hear ;-)
I take it you have never voiced an opinion in your entire life then itxrd?

If so I might also be well inclined to call you a whinger from now on!

Last edited by pigwhocouldfly; Sep 2nd 2010 at 9:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.