IELTS rqd?

Old Aug 10th 2002, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

TomJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question IELTS rqd?

Hi,
I've applied for Skilled Independent migration recently without an IELTS score. I'm not a native English speaker.

1. If my post-secondary education is in English, Will I get 15 points? I need only 15 points to reach 115.
2. How is DIMA assessing whether spouse/dependants are having Functional English or not.

Post-secondary education for my wife is in English, Is that enough to prove that she is having "Functional English". Or she has to appear IELTS.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 11th 2002, 7:38 am
Jaj

Default Re: IELTS rqd?

>On 10 Aug 2002 15:55:00 GMT, TomJ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi, I've applied for Skilled Independent migration recently without an IELTS score.
    >I'm not a native English speaker.
    >1. If my post-secondary education is in English, Will I get 15 points? I need only
    > 15 points to reach 115.

Possibly. Depends on where you've been educated.

>2. How is DIMA assessing whether spouse/dependants are having Functional English
    > or not.
    >Post-secondary education for my wife is in English, Is that enough to prove that she
    >is having "Functional English".

Again, possibly. It depends on her background.

If the Department ask for an IELTS test in either case you have no choice but
to do one.

>Or she has to appear IELTS.

I'm not sure why everyone seems so keen to avoid the IELTS. If your English is as
good as you say it is, then you should have no problem at all with the IELTS. If you
are struggling with English, then you're going to struggle even more to get a skilled
job in Australia.

As for your wife, the same applies. If her English is good, then she'll have no
problem with IELTS. If not, then the second instalment will need to be paid for her
- but this gives over 500 hours of English tuition in Australia as part of the Adult
Migrant English Program (details on the DIMIA website) - so should not be seen as
wasted money.

Jeremy

Old Aug 12th 2002, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

TomJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: IELTS rqd?

Originally posted by Jaj:
    >On 10 Aug 2002 15:55:00 GMT, TomJ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi, I've applied for Skilled Independent migration recently without an IELTS score.
    >I'm not a native English speaker.
    >1. If my post-secondary education is in English, Will I get 15 points? I need only
    > 15 points to reach 115.

Possibly. Depends on where you've been educated.

>2. How is DIMA assessing whether spouse/dependants are having Functional English
    > or not.
    >Post-secondary education for my wife is in English, Is that enough to prove that she
    >is having "Functional English".

Again, possibly. It depends on her background.

If the Department ask for an IELTS test in either case you have no choice but
to do one.

>Or she has to appear IELTS.

I'm not sure why everyone seems so keen to avoid the IELTS. If your English is as
good as you say it is, then you should have no problem at all with the IELTS. If you
are struggling with English, then you're going to struggle even more to get a skilled
job in Australia.

As for your wife, the same applies. If her English is good, then she'll have no
problem with IELTS. If not, then the second instalment will need to be paid for her
- but this gives over 500 hours of English tuition in Australia as part of the Adult
Migrant English Program (details on the DIMIA website) - so should not be seen as
wasted money.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I've received the first acknowledgment from DIMA and they haven't specifically asked for an IELTS score. But they 've asked me to send the Degree certificate as well as the mark sheets directly from the University. I've got 49 days time frame to submit this.

In future, if DIMA ask me to submit the IELTS score, will there be any time frame like this?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

rajarajaraja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Re: IELTS rqd?

Originally posted by TomJ:

Hi Jeremy,
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I've received the first acknowledgment from DIMA and they haven't specifically asked for an IELTS score. But they 've asked me to send the Degree certificate as well as the mark sheets directly from the University. I've got 49 days time frame to submit this.

In future, if DIMA ask me to submit the IELTS score, will there be any time frame like this?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
I would suggest you to take the IELTS exam now. Mostly DIMA is going to ask for it and will give you some time to get back to them with the IELTS results. I heard it will give you upto 3 months (not sure though)..... Then you will have to run against time to take your IELTS exam. Do not settle for 15 points.... getting more than 6 in each section is not hard and will give you 20 points!!!