Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IELTS Results - Competent Level

IELTS Results - Competent Level

Old Aug 21st 2005, 4:22 am
Banned

Franciskuge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS Results - Competent Level

I have been requested to sit for the IELTS exam to prove my English language competency and requested to get "Competent" level.

My question is do I have to score 6 or above in all the 4 modules (listening, reading, writing and speaking) or do they look at the overall band score?

What if I get following score;

Listening: 7.5
Reading: 7
Writing: 5
Speaking: 7
Overall Band Score: 6.5

Will I be penalised for not getting 6 points for the writing module even though my overall band score is 6.5 ?

However, according to the DIMA's official web site to prove the vocational English, one must get at least 5 on all the four modules. Following extract is from DIMA web site.

"To demonstrate vocational English you must achieve a band score of at least five on all four components of the test - speaking, reading, listening and writing. "

Source: DIMA Web Site - Level of English competency required

So, does it mean by getting 5 for the writing module and 6.5 as the overall band score, that I will be qualified as competent?

Appreciate your suggestions and comments

Last edited by Franciskuge; Aug 21st 2005 at 4:25 am.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS Results - Competent Level

Originally Posted by Franciskuge
Will I be penalised for not getting 6 points for the writing module even though my overall band score is 6.5 ?
Yes.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sagacity
Yes.
Thank you for your reply. I already got the results and have only 5 for the writing.

Do you think that appeal would help to improve the score?

Is there any chance that appeal would bring down the original score?

I am puzzled why I got 5 for the writing because I have 7.5 for listening, 7 for reading and 7 for speaking. It seems the score given to the writing section is not consistence with the scores of other modules.

Also, what would you think if I convey this to DIMA case officer and asked whether they allowed me to re-sit for the exam.

I am have B.Sc (Hon.) degree from UK. Would that be counted and will I be exempted for the low score in the writing section?
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:18 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Thank you for your reply. I already got the results and have only 5 for the writing.

I am puzzled why I got 5 for the writing because I have 7.5 for listening, 7 for reading and 7 for speaking. It seems the score given to the writing section is not consistence with the scores of other modules.

Also, what would you think if I convey this to DIMA case officer and asked whether they allowed me to re-sit for the exam.

I am have B.Sc (Hon.) degree from UK. Would that be counted and will I be exempted for the low score in the writing section?
What a surprise as your writing looks great from where I am

You must do what you think best but what have you got to lose if you appeal?

If you want this badly enough, then go for it kicking and screaming

Good luck whatever you decide

Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough

I am surprised they asked you to sit IELTS with a degree? Were all the classes etc. were conducted in English? Do they know this? Did you provide them with a transcript of this degree and proof that all instruction was in English? Ask your case officer why this was not good enough.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:55 am
Banned

I did inform DIMA. But they insisted that I should sit for the IELTS.

What should I do now?

Is there any chance that appeal would bring down the original score (I mean lower than 5) ?
      Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:15 am
      Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point

Should I go ahead and appeal the IELTS results and hope for the best?
      You might, it looks like you've got nothing to lose.

Is there any chance that appeal would bring down the original score (I mean lower than 5) ?
      That's unlikely. But since they'll be reviewing your Speaking results, too, they might lower that. Or might not.