Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IELTS Results.....

IELTS Results.....

Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice
Default IELTS Results.....

Received IELTS results this morning:

Listening 6.5
Reading 6.5
Writing 8.0
Speaking 9.0

Overall Band Score 7.5

However this means I have to resit, as I did not get 7.0 in the first two!!!! All for 0.5 points in Listening and Reading

Not too happy.....
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of
Default Re: IELTS Results.....

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
Received IELTS results this morning:

Listening 6.5
Reading 6.5
Writing 8.0
Speaking 9.0

Overall Band Score 7.5

However this means I have to resit, as I did not get 7.0 in the first two!!!! All for 0.5 points in Listening and Reading

Not too happy.....
Sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel!!
Got my results yesterday
Listening - 8.0
reading - 6.5
writing -7.5
speaking - 8.5
Overall score - 7.5
I was extremely dissapointed. How embarrassing too?!
I was born in England, had excellent state education, (incuding University)
and can't pass an English test. Duh!!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear both of you have had an unexpected result.

Can I ask if you had any idea of what to expect before you sat the exam? We used the practice book and CD produced by IELTS and found it to be very helpful. I am assuming that you both need to pass and would urge you to get the book and practice and practice and practice. It's not an English exam designed for English speakers which is why you both had problems I'm sure.

Good luck with the next one!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Sorry to hear both of you have had an unexpected result.

Can I ask if you had any idea of what to expect before you sat the exam? We used the practice book and CD produced by IELTS and found it to be very helpful. I am assuming that you both need to pass and would urge you to get the book and practice and practice and practice. It's not an English exam designed for English speakers which is why you both had problems I'm sure.

Good luck with the next one!
Thanks,
I am very embarrassed to admit that I did indeed practice!
Both parts of the writing sections were the 'true, false, not given'
Although some of the questions were a little ambiguous I only have myself to blame.
Ah well, these things are sent to try us
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by charlie-k
Sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel!!
Got my results yesterday
Listening - 8.0
reading - 6.5
writing -7.5
speaking - 8.5
Overall score - 7.5
I was extremely dissapointed. How embarrassing too?!
I was born in England, had excellent state education, (incuding University)
and can't pass an English test. Duh!!
I am not alone then.... I thought it was just me!!!

I have completed another enrolement form, but don't expect I can get in til next year! Not happy....
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
I am not alone then.... I thought it was just me!!!

I have completed another enrolement form, but don't expect I can get in til next year! Not happy....
have a look around, phone some test centres. I Got in at Nottingham University one week before the test. You might find some others do the same.
Good luck.
Thinking of you
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:46 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Well boys.

The IELTS is really not that difficult. However, you need to practice. I got pretty good scores, but I knew what to expect because I had rehearsed. The IELTS is very much about knowing how the tests are being executed.

Good luck next time and practice,practice,practice
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Sat the test Thursday in Portsmouth with about a dozen other english bods, all bar one looking to go to Oz. A couple were on their second sitting, probably because of the ambiguities you get in the test. The amount of native English people sitting it totally threw the guy testing the speaking element, I walked in and he turned around and said "another one?!" and then looked even more perplexed when I told him there were another half a dozen or so after me

Wouldn't have liked to walk in blind and sit it without knowing the format first. I sit exams twice a year and have done for the last 4 years, but this was a totally alien format to me. Like the others have said, practice as much as you can - exam technique will always get you a long way to getting the mark you want. (She says in the blind hope she's got the magic 7.0 x 4 )
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Morko is on a distinguished road

Hey people,

is it the general or the academic module you are talking about? I ask because i have to take the academic one and failed it twice, by now^^. I need an overall band score of 7. The part i missed is the writing one. Just scored it 6, but need to score it 7. I'm not a native speaker and find it very hard to describe any charts in english. Hopefully I'll manage to pass it the next time, because it's the only thing that slows down my visa application.

Cheers,

Morko
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm refering to the general one. Why do you need to sit the academic?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Morko is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NikiL
I'm refering to the general one. Why do you need to sit the academic?
I need to do the academic module for my skill assessment at the ANMC. Thats the nursing authority in Australia. I'm a nurse from Germany.

Cheers,

Morko
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
Well boys.

The IELTS is really not that difficult. However, you need to practice. I got pretty good scores, but I knew what to expect because I had rehearsed. The IELTS is very much about knowing how the tests are being executed.

Good luck next time and practice,practice,practice
Thanks for that - makes me feel a lot better