Reload this Page >

IELTS general test (help)

IELTS general test (help)

Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

shafiek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS general test (help)

Hi
I don't suppose anyone on the British expat site's ever needed to do this test but anyway, the CO has requested my wife to do this even though she is an English major from an English medium University, in Cape Town. Anyone know what she can expect? Just feels like a complete waste of money :-( but what can we do.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:16 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS general test (help)

Originally Posted by shafiek
Hi
I don't suppose anyone on the British expat site's ever needed to do this test but anyway, the CO has requested my wife to do this even though she is an English major from an English medium University, in Cape Town. Anyone know what she can expect? Just feels like a complete waste of money :-( but what can we do.

My husband has sat this test twice, sailed through the writing part but not so good on the reading part as some of the questions can be quite tricky.

Even my boss's daughter sat it, expecting it to be easy and only marginally passed. Although a South African guy on here - Coolie I think his name is, sat it and found it easy. Best to prepare and not to assume.

My advice to you would be to go onto www.amazon.co.uk and buy this book 'Cambridge - Step Up To IELTS' by Vanessa Jakeman and Clare McDowell - Self-Study Sutdent's Book.

The ISBN number is 0-521-53302-3

I cant remember how much it cost us, but it comes with 2 CDRoms to practise with as well.

A worthwhile investment as it costs nearly or about £100 (perhaps less) each time you sit it, so best to pass first time.

Also have a look at the site www.ielts.org

Good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Janines is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
As I am Dutch, I had to take the general IELTS test as well. I did practise a bit and that was very easy. The test seemed a bit harder but I passed with good marks. So my advice is that you should practise so that you know what to expect.

Janine
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

carolalanni is an unknown quantity at this point

i have all the books, i had to buy them.
if you need, i can sell them at a smaller price,
let me know throug my email.
carola

Hi
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

shafiek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.
I'm pretty confident that she'll pass the exams since English is her first language and she's been pretty good at it academically. But we don't want any surprises so just wondering what to expect.
I'm just a bit agitated that they are requesting this from an English major.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

carolalanni is an unknown quantity at this point

my husband is maltese, in malta is bilingual, maltese and english.
he has done all his studies included the master in english language, however he had to sit for it!!
redicule!

carola

Thanks for the replies.
I'm pretty confident that she'll pass the exams since English is her first language and she's been pretty good at it academically. But we don't want any surprises so just wondering what to expect.
I'm just a bit agitated that they are requesting this from an English major.