Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IELTS center sending the results

IELTS center sending the results

Old Jul 10th 2002, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Nina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS center sending the results

We applied at the end of April this year for Skilled independent visa and a week ago we received an acknowledgement letter with our file reference OSF and at the end they stated that we should be aware that we will be asked to arrange with the IELTS center to send the IELTS results direct to Adelaide.

It was a standard typed letter, just our file number and name/address were handwritten. I assumed that everyone that applied in Adelaide had received the same letter.

As I, like many others, want to create a theory why some applications (I mean non-IT applications) are processed faster than others are, I often visit www.austimeline.com.

I applied from the Netherlands and it seems that they process the applications differently based on the country you are from.
I could see that some applicants from Netherlands had to arrange for the center to send the IELTS results directly. I didn't see that any of the UK-applicants made this comment.
On the other hand it seems that a lot of applicants from Asia have to arrange that there diploma's get sent by the institutes directly to Adelaide.

Can anybody comment on this?
Thanks in advance,
Nina
Old Jul 10th 2002, 5:35 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS center sending the results

> I could see that some applicants from Netherlands had to
> arrange for the center to send the IELTS results directly. I
> didn't see that any of the UK-applicants made this comment.

Most applicants from the UK are native English speakers. As such, they are exempted from taking the IELTS test. If there were UK-based applicants who were advised to submit IELTS results, it would probably be due to the fact that these people are not native English speakers, and did not have university degrees that were taught in English.

> On the other hand it seems that a lot of applicants from Asia
> have to arrange that there diploma's get sent by the institutes
> directly to Adelaide.

One possibility is that a few jokers (not just from Asia) probably sent fake diplomas to DIMIA and got busted. My guess is that some countries' university diplomas & degrees are so frequently seen on the the list of forged qualifications that DIMIA no longer trusts certified copies of these countries' qualifications.

Just a case of the majority having to pay for a few irresponsible people's actions, I guess.

Peter
Old Jul 11th 2002, 9:20 am
Peter Van Sebil

Hi Nina,

Here's my experience. My partner and I are both Dutch and live in the UK for 4 years
now. When we applied (skilled independent), we got a confirmation letter with our ref
no and the comment to have the IELTS test centre send the test results directly to
Adelaide. Just as for you this appeared to be a standard letter. We contacted our
test centre and requested them to send the documents to Adelaide.

A few weeks later we got another letter from DIMA saying that we need to send our
original copy of the IELTS test results (again!) and the original skills assessment
document from ACS (we'd sent certified copies of both). This time the letter was
signed personally, so I assume this is our migration officer. The letter confused us,
so we've sent a mail to ask whether they still wanted *our* original IELTS test
results as we've just arranged for the test centre to send theirs. That was 3 weeks
ago and we've received no reply. In today's world, where the average turn around time
for responding to mail is a couple of days, this is highly disappointing not to say
unprofessional. Either way, last week we've sent just the original ACS skills
assessment (without our IELTS test results).

We're now waiting until it pleases DIMA to request us to send our medicals and
police checks.

cheers, Peter

Nina wrote:
    >
    > We applied at the end of April this year for Skilled independent visa and a week
    > ago we received an acknowledgement letter with our file reference OSF and at the
    > end they stated that we should be aware that we will be asked to arrange with the
    > IELTS center to send the IELTS results direct to Adelaide.
    >
    > It was a standard typed letter, just our file number and name/address were
    > handwritten. I assumed that everyone that applied in Adelaide had received the
    > same letter.
    >
    > As I, like many others, want to create a theory why some applications (I mean
    > non-IT applications) are processed faster than others are, I often visit
    > www.austimeline.com.
    >
    > I applied from the Netherlands and it seems that they process the applications
    > differently based on the country you are from. I could see that some applicants
    > from Netherlands had to arrange for the center to send the IELTS results directly.
    > I didn't see that any of the UK-applicants made this comment. On the other hand it
    > seems that a lot of applicants from Asia have to arrange that there diploma's get
    > sent by the institutes directly to Adelaide.
    >
    > Can anybody comment on this? Thanks in advance, Nina
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 11th 2002, 3:20 pm
Magnus

Doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but I still think it's worth
noting that they request that one sends the original IELTS score sheet as well as
skills assessment. I've recently lodged my application and must admit I wasn't sure
whether to send the certified copies or the originals. I had a friend phone up the
inquiry line of the Department where she was informed that I needed to submit the
originals, as if I didn't, I would be requested to do so at a later stage. Can't
recall reading that anywhere on the immi site but perhaps I didn't look close
enough :-/

Peter van Sebille <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Nina,
    >
    > Here's my experience. My partner and I are both Dutch and live in the UK for 4
    > years now. When we applied (skilled independent), we got a confirmation letter with
    > our ref no and the comment to have the IELTS test centre send the test results
    > directly to Adelaide. Just as for you this appeared to be a standard letter. We
    > contacted our test centre and requested them to send the documents to Adelaide.
    >
    > A few weeks later we got another letter from DIMA saying that we need to send our
    > original copy of the IELTS test results (again!) and the original skills assessment
    > document from ACS (we'd sent certified copies of both). This time the letter was
    > signed personally, so I assume this is our migration officer. The letter confused
    > us, so we've sent a mail to ask whether they still wanted *our* original IELTS test
    > results as we've just arranged for the test centre to send theirs. That was 3 weeks
    > ago and we've received no reply. In today's world, where the average turn around
    > time for responding to mail is a couple of days, this is highly disappointing not
    > to say unprofessional. Either way, last week we've sent just the original ACS
    > skills assessment (without our IELTS test results).
    >
    > We're now waiting until it pleases DIMA to request us to send our medicals and
    > police checks.
    >
    > cheers, Peter
    >
    > Nina wrote:
    > >
    > > We applied at the end of April this year for Skilled independent visa and a week
    > > ago we received an acknowledgement letter with our file reference OSF and at the
    > > end they stated that we should be aware that we will be asked to arrange with the
    > > IELTS center to send the IELTS results direct to Adelaide.
    > >
    > > It was a standard typed letter, just our file number and name/address were
    > > handwritten. I assumed that everyone that applied in Adelaide had received the
    > > same letter.
    > >
    > > As I, like many others, want to create a theory why some applications (I mean
    > > non-IT applications) are processed faster than others are, I often visit
    > > www.austimeline.com.
    > >
    > > I applied from the Netherlands and it seems that they process the applications
    > > differently based on the country you are from. I could see that some applicants
    > > from Netherlands had to arrange for the center to send the IELTS results
    > > directly. I didn't see that any of the UK-applicants made this comment. On the
    > > other hand it seems that a lot of applicants from Asia have to arrange that there
    > > diploma's get sent by the institutes directly to Adelaide.
    > >
    > > Can anybody comment on this? Thanks in advance, Nina
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 12th 2002, 12:00 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Magnus
Can't recall reading that anywhere on the immi site but perhaps I didn't look close enough :-/
That's because it isn't written anywhere on the 47SK form or the 1119 Booklet.

I recently sent an email to ASPC asking them if the original skills assessment results need to be supplied with any skilled independent application. They said 'yes'.

Rgds,
Peter
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Peter,

I am not an native English speaker, but I did my 4 years full time bachelor degree in Sydney.Is it conclusive that I need not sit for IELTS ?

Another question , since I have not got the acknowlegment from DIMIA yet , hence without the file number, is it OK for my spouse to do IELTS now, ?I afraid the result might get misplaced somewhere at DIMIA.

Thanks

Originally posted by ptlabs
> I could see that some applicants from Netherlands had to
> arrange for the center to send the IELTS results directly. I
> didn't see that any of the UK-applicants made this comment.

Most applicants from the UK are native English speakers. As such, they are exempted from taking the IELTS test. If there were UK-based applicants who were advised to submit IELTS results, it would probably be due to the fact that these people are not native English speakers, and did not have university degrees that were taught in English.

> On the other hand it seems that a lot of applicants from Asia
> have to arrange that there diploma's get sent by the institutes
> directly to Adelaide.

One possibility is that a few jokers (not just from Asia) probably sent fake diplomas to DIMIA and got busted. My guess is that some countries' university diplomas & degrees are so frequently seen on the the list of forged qualifications that DIMIA no longer trusts certified copies of these countries' qualifications.

Just a case of the majority having to pay for a few irresponsible people's actions, I guess.

Peter
Old Nov 26th 2003, 3:53 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Peter Van Sebil,

as far as I can remember you need to send the original off to DIMA. The test centre is also required to send them a copy directly, I presume to confirm the results.

As far as I can tell DIMA take ages to reply, even to email. A bit disappointing in today's world.

Bye
Markeh