Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Idiots Guide to Income Tax/Super/Benefits

Idiots Guide to Income Tax/Super/Benefits

Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Idiots Guide to Income Tax/Super/Benefits

We are looking to move to QLD. I have tried the OSR website, but cannot find the following info:

1. Basic rate of income tax
2. Exactly what Superannuation is and how much it costs
3. What benefits a family is entitled to (child benefit and anything else that might be out there)

So for example:

If a person were to earn AUD100k per year (total random amount) how would I calculate the above?

Anybody care to fill me in?

Please

Thanks you
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Idiots Guide to Income Tax/Super/Benefits

I usually go on the centrelink website for that kind of info
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

Originally Posted by dejags
We are looking to move to QLD. I have tried the OSR website, but cannot find the following info:

3. What benefits a family is entitled to (child benefit and anything else that might be out there)

So for example:

If a person were to earn AUD100k per year (total random amount) how would I calculate the above?

Please

Thanks you
Hi deJags.

Regarding tax, your best bet is the ATO (Aus Tax Office) - http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/default.asp They have a simple (and more involved) tax calculator here: http://calculators.ato.gov.au/script...xcalc/main.asp

$100k produces an estimate of $27,850 tax - note that it may be more depending on Medicare, etc.

Can't help you on the other points. Sorry.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

So for example:

Please

Thanks you
here's a basic guide to super:

http://www.financeadvisor.com.au/per...ustralia/7955/
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

So for example:

Please

Thanks you
1. As someone has already said, see the ATO site for tax rates.

2. Superannuation is your pension fund. Employers have to pay a minimum of 9% of your gross income to your Super fund. You can either pick your own Super fund or use theirs. You can pay more in than the 9% if you want to - it comes out of your pre-tax earnings so is a tax-efficient investment. Take care when weighing up salary packages - sometimes the annual salary quoted will include the compulsory 9% (which means that your actual income will be less than it appears at first glance), sometimes it won't.

3. I wouldn't hold your breathe about getting any benefits. That salary is a reasonable one and almost every benefit is effectively means-tested. We've always earned a good income, brought up two kids and have never received a cent of benefit of any kind.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
1. As someone has already said, see the ATO site for tax rates.

2. Superannuation is your pension fund. Employers have to pay a minimum of 9% of your gross income to your Super fund. You can either pick your own Super fund or use theirs. You can pay more in than the 9% if you want to - it comes out of your pre-tax earnings so is a tax-efficient investment. Take care when weighing up salary packages - sometimes the annual salary quoted will include the compulsory 9% (which means that your actual income will be less than it appears at first glance), sometimes it won't.

3. I wouldn't hold your breathe about getting any benefits. That salary is a reasonable one and almost every benefit is effectively means-tested. We've always earned a good income, brought up two kids and have never received a cent of benefit of any kind.
Thanks Nicky.

I wish. That was just a salary for example purposes. I would be a very happy lady if we could get that sort of money.

Thanks everybody else for the links. Really useful