Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Identity Theft 2

Identity Theft 2

Old Nov 17th 2003, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Identity Theft 2

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...893514,00.html

Food for thought for us all :scared: :scared: :scared:

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:08 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Identity Theft 2

Originally posted by OzTennis

OzTennis

hmm.. i think it's time i went and bought a shredder!! scary stuff.

:scared:
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
hmm.. i think it's time i went and bought a shredder!! scary stuff.

:scared:
Yep, they ran an earlier article on identity theft with respect to private individuals but now they are suggesting that people in business are more at risk because of the additional information available on them. It's scary to think how much 'inside help' is involved in a lot of cases - either perpetrated by a bank employee or information passed on for money.

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2003, 3:23 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Yep, they ran an earlier article on identity theft with respect to private individuals but now they are suggesting that people in business are more at risk because of the additional information available on them. It's scary to think how much 'inside help' is involved in a lot of cases - either perpetrated by a bank employee or information passed on for money.

OzTennis

you're spot on here, we trust that the people working behind the scenes to be honest people. I don't see how difficult it would be for someone to sit there gathering information to pass on to some shadey gizza. who would know?

the system seriously need updating. How? i haven't a clue, but it must be possible?

did you hear anything more from your run in with the GB's?

leigh
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

OzTennis
And also with more & more companies/banks shifting their admin to India, how safe do you think any of our personal details are:scared: :scared: :scared: and there's no legislation for them to ask whether you object to details being held offshore!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:30 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
And also with more & more companies/banks shifting their admin to India, how safe do you think any of our personal details are:scared: :scared: :scared: and there's no legislation for them to ask whether you object to details being held offshore!
so true and some of the on shore third parties you deal with are not much better as they do not vet their staff as well as the banks did.

Also beware the e-mail scam that occured afew weeks ago:
how it works
you receive an e-mail supposedly from the on-line section of your bank
You are asked to click on the link to take you to the "secure" web site to re-enter your details as the bank are doing major security update
You click and get taken to a "very professional" looking site where you are meant to key in all your details
result:your harvested.

beware its a scary thing this technology lark
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article inthe Herald Sun last week about how much identity theft is causing Australians, and the Govt. When so many houses/units/apts in Oz have post boxes by the front gates (like ours is - doesn't even have a lock) it's not surprising that nowadays crims get access to all they need to pretend they are someone else.

We also had the same website scam about 12 months ago with WestPac - customers were sent a link to an identical website (but it was WestPac with a hyphen), which was a dummy site run by fraudsters - a/c number and password to log in, and that's it, they've got all they need

The latest problem here is apparently miniature cameras stuck on ATM machines that record you entering your pin - once the crims then get your card, they get your money. I have to check every ATM machine now.

It's scary that times are like this.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:56 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
There was an article inthe Herald Sun last week about how much identity theft is causing Australians, and the Govt. When so many houses/units/apts in Oz have post boxes by the front gates (like ours is - doesn't even have a lock) it's not surprising that nowadays crims get access to all they need to pretend they are someone else.

We also had the same website scam about 12 months ago with WestPac - customers were sent a link to an identical website (but it was WestPac with a hyphen), which was a dummy site run by fraudsters - a/c number and password to log in, and that's it, they've got all they need

The latest problem here is apparently miniature cameras stuck on ATM machines that record you entering your pin - once the crims then get your card, they get your money. I have to check every ATM machine now.

It's scary that times are like this.
One I heard, was the crook inserts a thin sheet of plastic into the card slot on the atm. You stick your card in, it jams, you go away to phone the bank, and meanwhile said villan has pulled the plastic sheet out containing your card and made off with it.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The one Pete mentions with the strip of plastic is a VERY common one (info from a friend in a credit card fraud office) - especially common in ATMs at UK supermarkets in petrol stations.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by PeteY
One I heard, was the crook inserts a thin sheet of plastic into the card slot on the atm. You stick your card in, it jams, you go away to phone the bank, and meanwhile said villan has pulled the plastic sheet out containing your card and made off with it.
Not Identity Theft but plain Theft - another scam to be wary of at ATM's. 2 people stand behind the person operating the ATM. When the money comes out there is a tap on the shoulder. One says, excuse me you dropped that £10. Person looks around or bends down to pick it up (which thief might have put on ground); second person makes off with the cash and the card. Also beware of people 'pretending' to be on a mobile phone near you -at ATM or otherwise. It is a possible prelude to a bag snatch etc. Latest trick, mainly perpetrated by the children of asylum seekers (in London, Edinburgh, York, Bath, Cambridge etc where the tourists go) is to work in pairs - one bumps into you while the other relieves you of your wallet. All this comes from a friend who is in the police force :scared: :scared:

OzTennis
Old Nov 18th 2003, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis Latest trick, mainly perpetrated by the children of asylum seekers (in London, Edinburgh, York, Bath, Cambridge etc where the tourists go) is to work in pairs - one bumps into you while the other relieves you of your wallet.
OzTennis
LOL

Like a scene out of OLIVER! You've got to pick a pocket or two.

Other similarities exist in the UK between the present and Victorian era....like theres plenty of places you wouldn't go at night
Old Nov 18th 2003, 3:18 pm
Badge

what makes me laugh about snatchers is that they think they can get away on foot.

Happened to me once, and he couldn't get away from me fast enough. He sprinted like mad, but then lost the race when he tired. He then threw me my bag. What he doesn't know is that I can run that pace for a good mile.

the police were saying, if only we were as fit as you.

Badge