ID Query

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default ID Query

Looking for some inspiration here! Anyone who is already here will be familiar with the Aussie obsession with photographic ID. Can't even post a video to a 4 year old without it!
So the problem I am trying to resolve is this. I have to renew my passport at some point over the next year, which will mean sending off my UK one, and apparently it can take some months over here. I don't have a driving licence, either UK or Oz (my UK one was a very old provisional one, pre photo-licence days). To get a licence here, even a provisional one, I have to learn all the road rules and pass an exam - and I can't afford to learn to drive so that seems a bit pointless.
Does anyone know of any other sort of acceptable photo-ID which will enable me to carry on living here while waiting for my passport to come back! I'm thinking of things like the ones they do in the UK to prove you're old enough to go into bars.

Ideas anyone??? Or suggestions as to ways that may persuade Canberra to issue me a new passport fast? Will they listen to pleas about aged parents, need to travel urgently etc? Anyone tried that?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:45 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: ID Query

Originally posted by Pollyana
Looking for some inspiration here! Anyone who is already here will be familiar with the Aussie obsession with photographic ID. Can't even post a video to a 4 year old without it!
So the problem I am trying to resolve is this. I have to renew my passport at some point over the next year, which will mean sending off my UK one, and apparently it can take some months over here. I don't have a driving licence, either UK or Oz (my UK one was a very old provisional one, pre photo-licence days). To get a licence here, even a provisional one, I have to learn all the road rules and pass an exam - and I can't afford to learn to drive so that seems a bit pointless.
Does anyone know of any other sort of acceptable photo-ID which will enable me to carry on living here while waiting for my passport to come back! I'm thinking of things like the ones they do in the UK to prove you're old enough to go into bars.

Ideas anyone??? Or suggestions as to ways that may persuade Canberra to issue me a new passport fast? Will they listen to pleas about aged parents, need to travel urgently etc? Anyone tried that?
I'm sure there was an ID-badge for 18+ who didnt have driving licence's. Maybe a trip to a bottle shop would be a good place to start, they usually advertise what sorts of ID are acceptable there??

Alternatively, why not get a UK photo ID D/Licence? And if you have a UK one, pressumably that means you can drive? Surely then all you need to do is take the theory test???

Or.... possibly could you send your passport to someone in the UK to do here - therefore done within a fortnight?? I know people don't like sending things, but its going to have to be sent somewhere!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ID Query

It shouldn't take 'months' to renew your UK passport in Australia.

I don't know if it's possible to get a learner driver's licence and just keep renewing it without ever taking lessons.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Pollyana
Does anyone know of any other sort of acceptable photo-ID which will enable me to carry on living here while waiting

for my passport to come back! I'm thinking of things like the ones they do in the UK to prove you're old enough to go into bars.

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Re the last comment, my learners permit here in WA didn't have a photo on, only got one of those when I passed, plus learners permits only last a limited period of time, think it was a year. Might be different in other states I don't know.

Loopy
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

A long shot but our library here has photo Id, may be try something along those lines..

footie x
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:27 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

I would suggest to get certified copies of your passport done before you send it off and also get one done of your birth certificate at the same time. These documents along with a utility bill or bank statement or wage packet should do the trick. Just keep proof of sending your passport off.

Cheers, Dawn
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:31 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the ideas; might have to visit a bottle shop! Library could be worth investigating too.
I did think of a UK driving licence, but you have to send original ID, and I really don't trust the international postal system not to lose my birth certificate!
Jeremy - I wouldn't have to take lessons, but I do have to learn the Qld road rules and sit a written test before I can even get a learners licence. AS someone with little driving knowledge thats a big challenge!!
Anyone know the current processing time for a passport renewal (with a name change) through Canberra??

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2004 at 11:33 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:57 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter Amy has recently turned 18 and needed id as I wouldn't give her, her passport!!!
She went along to Queensland transport with 2 forms of id passport and something with her address on they took about $20 from her and she got her id, pretty sure she had to take pics with her but I've slept since then

See you in the morning
Debs
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:10 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Polly, your passport wont take months, Dagboy did his & it literally only took about a week or so, it wasnt very long.

With regards the drivers licence, are you serious? You have a pilots licence & are saying you cant learn a few simple road rules? The Bloke could teach you how to drive, pretty sure its a hell of a lot easier than flying a plane! :scared:

As for other ID, you can get an 18+ card very easily, you get them from Queensland Transport. Its simply photo ID for those over 18. Heres the link http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/f...5?OpenDocument
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:15 pm
Home and Happy

The Bloke could teach you how to drive
:scared: :scared: :scared:

I don't fancy the divorce courts!!!

Thanks for the info re Dagboy's passport though; I had been warned it could take a few months.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:19 pm
Home and Happy

Just looked at the link for the 18+ card - looks ideal; hadn't heard of it before, but its the sort of thing I was looking for.
Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:10 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>With regards the drivers licence, are you serious? You have a pilots licence & are saying you cant learn a few simple road rules? The Bloke could teach you how to drive, pretty sure its a hell of a lot easier than flying a plane! <<

Probably not, actually!

Polly, can't you use your PPL, which has a photo, for ID?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:30 pm
Home and Happy

Hi Rog,
Would use the PPL if I could, but it was issued in 1995, and though I think they have photos on now, mine doesn't (typical!) Think I shall go with the QT 18+ card - should give them a laugh, someone of 40 wanting one!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Polly not sure about QLD but NSW you can get your learners by passing over a snall amount of money and taking a computer based test. In NSW you can revise on the web, no need for lessons. You'll find that license very useful for ID and because it has the address it is far better than a passport.

A lot of credit applications seem to ask for a drivers license no so I guess it must help in credit scoring.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The 'proof of age' card for non drivers in NSW is only available to those aged 18-25.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/proofofage.html

I don't know what the policy in Queensland is.

The NSW RTA website doesn't say whether or not it is possible to continually renew a learner licence every three years without taking driving lessons or a driving test.

Jeremy

Originally posted by bondipom
Polly not sure about QLD but NSW you can get your learners by passing over a snall amount of money and taking a computer based test. In NSW you can revise on the web, no need for lessons. You'll find that license very useful for ID and because it has the address it is far better than a passport.

A lot of credit applications seem to ask for a drivers license no so I guess it must help in credit scoring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.