Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'd pick more daisies

I'd pick more daisies

Old Nov 28th 2004, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

matt n ann marie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'd pick more daisies

Kind of a long way of saying 'life's too short' but someone gave me this when we were first discussing moving to Oz and I found it useful when telling parents of our plans, especially as we've never even been to Oz and they were a little shocked.

'A note on stress is best said by 87 year old Nadine Stair from Louiseville'

I'd pick more daisies

'If I had my life to live over, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I would relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would be crazier. I would be less hygienic. I would take more chances. I would take more trips. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones. You see, I am one of those people who lives life prophylactically and sanely and sensibly, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I have had my moments and, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have more of them. In fact I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead each day. I have been one of those people who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had it to do over again, I would go places and do things and travel lighter than I have.

If I had my life to live over, I would start bare-footed earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would play hooky more. I wouldn't make such good grades except by accident. I would ride on more merry-go-rounds. I'd pick more daisies'
Old Nov 28th 2004, 6:20 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'd pick more daisies

Originally Posted by matt n ann marie
Kind of a long way of saying 'life's too short' but someone gave me this when we were first discussing moving to Oz and I found it useful when telling parents of our plans, especially as we've never even been to Oz and they were a little shocked.

I'd pick more daisies

'If I had my life to live over, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I would relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would be crazier. I would be less hygienic. I would take more chances. I would take more trips. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones. You see, I am one of those people who lives life prophylactically and sanely and sensibly, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I have had my moments and, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have more of them. In fact I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead each day. I have been one of those people who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had it to do over again, I would go places and do things and travel lighter than I have.

If I had my life to live over, I would start bare-footed earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would play hooky more. I wouldn't make such good grades except by accident. I would ride on more merry-go-rounds. I'd pick more daisies'

Wise old lady Ive been through one of those "life is to short" moments recently and some things in life I feel are worth the risk - hence oz

Sel x
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:01 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Wise old lady Ive been through one of those "life is to short" moments recently and some things in life I feel are worth the risk - hence oz

Sel x
I couldn't agree more. But ask me again in 7 days time when I have told my parents and you could get a different answer
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I couldn't agree more. But ask me again in 7 days time when I have told my parents and you could get a different answer
Good luck with that. It's true though, life's too short. To hell with sanity and safety!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

matt n ann marie is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately. We're hoping to go around Easter 2006 and our kids will be 4 and 2 at the time. Feel like gits taking them away from family but have to remember at the end of the day the four of us are our family and it doesn't have to be forever, we just know we'll be kicking ourselves in 20 years time if we don't at least try it.

Originally Posted by sel

Sel x
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:48 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

what a great piece of writing!
my family often despair of me cos i do things on the spur of the moment, and not by the book. I always tell them to live for today........If i died tomorrow i wouldnt do anything differently....well, not anything major anyway!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:19 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by matt n ann marie

I'd pick more daisies

3 weeks after we moved to Aus a dear work-colleage of mine died, aged 36. Dropped dead playing footy one Sunday, fit as a fiddle. Left a lovely wife and two beautifull girls.One in a million chance they said...

Just before leaving UK this lovely bloke asked me why I was making such a life changing move to Aus when I had everything anyone could wish for. I said money wasn't everything, the more I earned the less I lived....giving my soul away was no longer my idea of life. Said Aus was our lifetime's dream and we never hoped in a million that we'd ever get to do it. Said we could always come back if it didn't work out. My last words to this lovely man was "life is for living Michael".

He told me how brave we were...said he wished he could do the same.....told me loads of reasons why he couldn't do it....and wished me well in our journey.

A few weeks later he was dead.

Everyone is different. We all chose the life we want to lead..no right, no wrong.

Life is for living.....make the best of what you've got......stop moaning about triviality.......in the great scheme of things............... it aint nowt to worry about......

Don't sweat the small stuff