Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i would reccommend my shippers

i would reccommend my shippers

Old Apr 10th 2004, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

lon2mel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i would reccommend my shippers

i have read a few nightmare stories about packers and shippers,so i thoughts i would tell you of an excellent shipping company that i used,to which i had been reccommended to by another member of this site,who too was 100% + with their service (thanks cathy).
before i found out about their system,i was losing sleep in the uk about such things as ;timing for the packers,strangers walking round your house boxing your personal stuff,paying upfront for service to someone you dont really know,not having an address to ship your stuff to.

so i used a company called upakweship.which as you can see means 'you pack and we charge for shipping only'

so i contacted chris smith a friendly and proffesional guy
on Tel: 020 8530 1441 ,and found out how the system worked,
he explained that we would have to box and deliver our stuff to his warehouse just outside london,they will load container,ship to melbourne,we pay additional custom/quarantine/port handling cost to the australian warehouse the other end.

i had a transit van,and 50 boxes that would fit inside van,and around van in a 20 ft container,(i got the dimentions of the container,and marked it out on my driveway,then put my boxes and van in it,and it fitted)

i was quoted by fax £1750.plus optional insurance.and all i needed to do was give 1-2days notice.

so as soon i was ready,i called chris to say i would deliver the following day.
hired a luton van at 5pm for £60 for 24hrs.
spent all night till 1am finalising the packing ,i.e tv,cooking stuff,pc etc,then loading up the luton.
drove down to the warehouse in luton,my wife drove the transit,met chris,offloaded stuff from luton,handed over keys to my transit,gave inventory paid chris,got a receipt.asked chris to email me movement of container.
drove empty luton back to hire co.

went to oz,got email of date when container arrives,baring in mind by the time customs etc completes,it is released a couple of weeks later.
after paying those additional ozzy costs,using my own van ,i took 5 trips to take my stuff to my new home.the warehouse did offer to deliver my stuff for $200 (about £90 odd quid) .

i am very happy about doing it this way,after all you dont have to be a brain surgeon to pack boxes sensibly,and we saved loads compared to the £3500 we might of paid door to door.

if we had to do it all again,we'd do it the same way.

if any one wants more of my personel moving info mail me at [email protected]

or contact the co. i used at

[email protected] with a
telephone no Freephone 0800 3285157

i hope i've given helpfull info
and good luck to every body coming over,it,s worth the wait!!

lon2mel
Old Apr 16th 2004, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

lon2mel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i would reccommend my shippers

gloria
i have sent u an email
cheers]
Old Apr 16th 2004, 4:28 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i would reccommend my shippers

Originally posted by lon2mel
i have read a few nightmare stories about packers and shippers,so i thoughts i would tell you of an excellent shipping company that i used,to which i had been reccommended to by another member of this site,who too was 100% + with their service (thanks cathy).
before i found out about their system,i was losing sleep in the uk about such things as ;timing for the packers,strangers walking round your house boxing your personal stuff,paying upfront for service to someone you dont really know,not having an address to ship your stuff to.

so i used a company called upakweship.which as you can see means 'you pack and we charge for shipping only'

so i contacted chris smith a friendly and proffesional guy
on Tel: 020 8530 1441 ,and found out how the system worked,
he explained that we would have to box and deliver our stuff to his warehouse just outside london,they will load container,ship to melbourne,we pay additional custom/quarantine/port handling cost to the australian warehouse the other end.

i had a transit van,and 50 boxes that would fit inside van,and around van in a 20 ft container,(i got the dimentions of the container,and marked it out on my driveway,then put my boxes and van in it,and it fitted)

i was quoted by fax £1750.plus optional insurance.and all i needed to do was give 1-2days notice.

so as soon i was ready,i called chris to say i would deliver the following day.
hired a luton van at 5pm for £60 for 24hrs.
spent all night till 1am finalising the packing ,i.e tv,cooking stuff,pc etc,then loading up the luton.
drove down to the warehouse in luton,my wife drove the transit,met chris,offloaded stuff from luton,handed over keys to my transit,gave inventory paid chris,got a receipt.asked chris to email me movement of container.
drove empty luton back to hire co.

went to oz,got email of date when container arrives,baring in mind by the time customs etc completes,it is released a couple of weeks later.
after paying those additional ozzy costs,using my own van ,i took 5 trips to take my stuff to my new home.the warehouse did offer to deliver my stuff for $200 (about £90 odd quid) .

i am very happy about doing it this way,after all you dont have to be a brain surgeon to pack boxes sensibly,and we saved loads compared to the £3500 we might of paid door to door.

if we had to do it all again,we'd do it the same way.

if any one wants more of my personel moving info mail me at [email protected]

or contact the co. i used at

[email protected] with a
telephone no Freephone 0800 3285157

i hope i've given helpfull info
and good luck to every body coming over,it,s worth the wait!!

lon2mel
Lon2mel

I have sent you a email

Thanks
Lara