Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:45 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by woodring
It never ceases to amaze me how general some comments are about such a huge country as OZ . Lots of people seem to never travel outside of the main cities. There are many small towns all with their own charm and character.
I wish people would travel inland more and see some of the wonderful places in the bush.Where the welcome is always so friendly.
Cities like Sydney Brisbane etc are all very fine to visit but do go and see the real Australia . [at least 4 hours drive inland]
Thats because they are all by and large the same, why would you want to drive 50k+ spend an hour each way in the car to see what?

Ok so they are not all identical but very near to it, and once you've been and seen a few you wouldn't want to go back.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe millymog checked out adelaide as she is one of the many immigrants who cant get in unless they are prepared to live and work there. If she was destined for adelaide would there have been much point checking out Brisbane.

I agree australias a big place tho, although most of its not habitable, leaving most with a choice of less than a handful of large towns/cities.

Visit first and see more than one place if you have that choice.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by millymog
Hoping i would like it that much that i would try to emigrate. But now i have been, i was really glad to be back in good old England.

Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it. I went to Adelaide and as soon as the sun came out, we had mouthfuls and eyefuls of flies. All i was doing was the "Australian wave" as they call it. The beaches looked like you would get in Tenby in Wales. I just found there was no character to it. So its safe to say that i wont be going again. My advise is to people, take a good look at where you are thinking of going BEFORE you embark on this long mission of getting accepted. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.
Tenby does have some nice beaches, as does the rest of Pembrokeshire.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Don't worry about it. You get this 'I love all things OZ' brigade rearing their heads at times on this forum. Fark 'em I say.
Fortunately they only "[rear] their heads at times", unlike the Aus-knockers who seem to be a constant presence.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:56 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The flies are

G
Let's take each of here points shall we:

*many things: too hot in summer, they tore down 99% of the old buildings *and built crappy new ones, the people are standoffish (its the most *unfriendly place I have ever travelled to/lived in), they are arrogant, *superficial and materialistic.

Exactly true for most of the place, the only thing that changes is the amount of time it spends unberable

*It's parochial; they think it's the best possible place on earth to live (or *they are just trying so very hard to convince themselves cos they live *here). Personally I think they have an insecurity complex and infact it is the *most isolated city in the world. The fact is it's a sandpit on the edge of a *desert!

Well they are very parochial, and I thought the Americans were bad. I too think it's a case of when someone has an ugly baby and everyone goes ver the top to say how beutiful it is. People over compensate when things are bad to make themselves feel better. Doesn't actually make the place better.

*They go on an on and on and on about farkin AFL(aussie rules football: *more like synchronised field dancing) like no other state (not even victoria *where the game originated). We get this shit all year in the news and on *radio with only a brief respite during summer (if we are lucky)

Might not be AFL everywhere but replace AFL with sport in general and this ranks just so much higher than real news.

*Public transport is non existant at night or sundays unless u live near a train

Can't even get a taxi to come to my place as it's too far away at 20k, No amount of money can get them to come. No buses here in rural NSW and the trains are a joke.

*It gets so hot in summer u need air con in the house and car (mind u this *also applies to the likes of brisbane and other cities) so u can't really *exercise easily which is why u need to get up very early or go out at night *to exercise unless u can afford a gym membership.

Well you do need an aircon otherwise you get no quality of life indoors, try and sleep without one. For me during summer which lasts at least a third of the year in reality I'm a virtual prisoner of the house.

*Anywhere worth going that is outside of the immediate metro area you need *a car to get to cause public transport doesn't exist to get you there.

True

*The place lacks any feel of soul or character. HUGE social dislocation *problem that everyone just ignores. It's like "life's here Jim . but not as we *know it" !

Also true, The place feels dead, and more like a retirement home or village.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Don't know how long you spend in Australia, but I must point out that my country is three times the size of Western Europe and you've just written off the entire place on the basis of your limited experience in Adelaide.

I wonder how people would react if I did the same to the UK after a holiday in Sheffield.
"My" country? Remind me again, which aboriginal tribe do you belong to?

Oz may be 3 times the size of WE, however, it is also one of the most urbanised countries on Earth. Roughly 90% of the population lives in the main cities that hug the coast.

And a lot of Oz is a whole bunch of brown nothing.

Summarising a country on the basis of a visit to one city is dangerous, but, in Oz's case, it's reasonably accurate. Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane are all much of a muchness.

Only Melbourne and Sydney are a bit different (read 'more sophisticated').

And, yes, I have lived in all the main Oz states.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:28 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

Oz may be 3 times the size of WE, however, it is also one of the most urbanised countries on Earth. Roughly 90% of the population lives in the main cities that hug the coast.

Summarising a country on the basis of a visit to one city is dangerous, but, in Oz's case, it's reasonably accurate. Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane are all much of a muchness.

bloody hell didnt know you were still around

what are your views on Tasmania Mike??
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:44 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Okay, so the OP came, saw, wasn't impressed. That's her right. But if she disliked it so much, I gather she won't be emigrating..................so what the hell is she doing spouting her nonsense on an Expats site?
Amen to that.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:48 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Tenby does have some nice beaches, as does the rest of Pembrokeshire.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I was waiting for someone to say that. I'm a Welshman and grew up on that coastline. It's beautiful. Yet another nail in the OP's coffin.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:08 am
P,Johnson

tryinghard is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't read past the first thread on this post but after my second holiday to Perth I thought no way can I live there, I am happy in the UK.

Well after being back in the uk for all of 2 weeks I thought, hmmm maybe I was wrong, so I went straight back and had another long holiday. And then realised that I love OZ, I love everything about it. I just didn't give it a chance.

I get really annoyed some times as I constantly hear people saying " ahhh perth/oz is boring there isnt anything to do there" well I like my night clubs I love going out, loud music, loads of beers, clubs etc etc and perth has it all. you just need to know where to look, it also has some of the most friendly people I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

At the end of the day, some people will love it some will hate it, but I think part of this is because some people expect things on a plate when they arrive.

Just my 2p worth
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:20 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by woodring
It never ceases to amaze me how general some comments are about such a huge country as OZ . Lots of people seem to never travel outside of the main cities. There are many small towns all with their own charm and character.
I wish people would travel inland more and see some of the wonderful places in the bush.Where the welcome is always so friendly.
Cities like Sydney Brisbane etc are all very fine to visit but do go and see the real Australia . [at least 4 hours drive inland]
i agree when i get out of the cities i found i really enjoyed australia and really felt quiet at home but unfortunately the work is mainly centralised to the cities ,and thats the hard part if you dont like australian cities there is not a lot of choice all even australian youth struggle to gey full employment in smaller towns and they certainly have trouble finding a girl or boyfriend to settle down with as they have all naffed of to town to the bright lights and work opputunities
Old Apr 9th 2006, 7:18 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Is there a 'Going back to New Zealand' forum? Your comments would certainly be valued there.
I have travelled to and lived in different parts of OZ including Perth long enough to make comments about the place. If you don't like it, feel free to post a counter argument rather than some smartarse comment like this one.

BTW How long have you lived here?
Old Apr 9th 2006, 7:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Remind me again, of which countries is Queen Elizabeth the monarch? (Hint: one of them begins with a "A.") Are you seriously going to tell her that she's not the Queen of Australia? Let me know how that works out for you.

Remind me again, how many Britons are members of the tribes which originally inhabited the British isles? (Hint: I haven't seen any Celts around lately, and Saxons appear to be rather thin on the ground this year. I think I saw a Jute the other day, but I could be mistaken...)

Remind me again, which country was responsible for dispossessing the Aborigines in the first place by declaring Australia terra nullius? (Hint: it begins with "E.") And which country eventually overturned this judgement? (Hint: it begins with "A.")

BTW, FWIW I come from a family of English ex-pats; my father arrived in Australia during the 60s. I was born in Australia and I'm an Australian citizen (soon to have duel British/Australian citizenship.) Which makes Australia "my country" in every legitimate sense of the term.

So what?

It also has some of the largest areas of natural and untouched wilderness in the world, sixteen World Heritage sites, and a range of unique flora and fauna unrivalled by any other country (80% of Australia's plants and animals are found nowhere else in the world.)

Its climate ranges from temperate to tropical; arid to arctic. I know of only one other country which has such a diverse range, that that's the USA (which is, interestingly enough, the only other country of comparable size to Australia.)

Don't get me wrong; the UK is a pretty little place, in its quaint, old-fashioned way. I absolutely adore Devon, Dartmoor and Wales. Next year I'm taking the missus to Scotland, where we'll attend the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and visit the Isle of Skye. We're also planning to do Cornwall at some stage.

Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

It also has some of the largest areas of natural and untouched wilderness in the world...
What do you expect? It's so damn dull...

Its climate ranges from temperate to tropical; arid to arctic.
Fascinating if you're a botanist. Otherwise it's just consistently dull. As the US astronauts used to refer to it as "the boring brown country".

Remind me again, which country was responsible for dispossessing the Aborigines in the first place by declaring Australia terra nullius? And which country eventually overturned this judgement? (Hint: it begins with "A.")
So, you're now shooting yourself in the foot by arguing that the Aborigines did have the land illegally taken from them.

I PMSL when Oz tries to take the moral high ground. This is the country that didn't even give Aborigines the vote until ~65 years after Federation and has been severely criticised by the UN for its treatment of asylum seekers...
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

PS. Click here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.