British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   I want to travel to Sydney, but I don’t want to fly more than three hours at a time. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/i-want-travel-sydney-but-i-don%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%84%A2t-want-fly-more-than-three-hours-time-193202/)

SteveBannister Nov 25th 2003 4:38 pm

I want to travel to Sydney, but I don’t want to fly more than three hours at a time.

This was one of the questions today in the Daily Mail:

"I want to travel to Sydney, but I don’t want to fly more than three hours at a time. Is there a way of achieving this?"

This is possible, and all on scheduled services but it would involve 13 separate flights and would take almost 5 days, depending on time differences and stopovers. The journey would be somewhat more interesting than a standard flight.

One route could be:

1. Heathrow – Rome (BA, 2h 30m - £100)
2. Rome – Athens (Olympic Airlines, 2h - £100)
3. Athens – Tel Aviv (Olympic Airlines, 1h 55m - £110)
4. Tel Aviv – Amman (Royal Jordanian, 0h 45m - £50)
5. Amman – Dubai (Royal Jordanian, 2h 50m - £150)
6. Dubai – Delhi (Emirates, 3h - £150)
7. Delhi – Calcutta (Indian Airlines, 1h 55m - £90)
8. Calcutta – Bangkok (Thai Air, 2h 25m - £160)
9. Bangkok – Singapore (Thai Air, 2h 15m - £150)
10. Singapore – Bali Denpassar (Singapore Airlines, 1h 35m - £185)
11. Bali Denpassar – Darwin (Qantas, 2h 35m - £160)
12. Darwin – Cairns (Qantas, 1h 20m - £100)
13. Cairns – Sydney (Qantas, 3h - £70)

Total cost, based on a fare for February 2004, would be £1,575. And that excludes considerable airport taxes.

My Question is........Why?

Steve

evila Nov 25th 2003 4:44 pm

WOW!!!!

Where did I get the idea that 4 flights to get to Melbourne from Venezuela were too much???? :D :D :D :D

Anyone ACTUALLY doing this?? :scared:

Cheers....

tinaj Nov 25th 2003 5:09 pm

Why not jut pay for Buisiness cleass instead, that would make the trip a lot easier to manage than getting on and off all of the time!! Some people ehh?

young_lad Nov 25th 2003 6:32 pm

Re: I want to travel to Sydney, but I don’t want to fly more than three hours at a time.

Faced with an itinerary like that I think I'd enquire about getting there by boat.

Andiii Nov 25th 2003 7:27 pm

Perhaps they have evil, disruptive children,
Or their spouse is on a life support machine and the battery runs out every 3 hours,
Or their afraid of deep vein thrombosis,
Or their claustrophobic,
Or they have tourettes syndrome and they have figured that yelling longer than 3 hours becomes annoying,
Or they like the number 13,
Or they are on the run,
Or have chronic bowel movements,
Or without brushing their teeth every 3 hours, their body produces alcohol and they don't want to get in trouble for intoxication,
Or they are from the future, when a flight from London to Sydney is less than 3 hours...

The possibilities are endless.... :eek: :eek:

CHnJ Nov 25th 2003 7:34 pm

Anyone read a book by Peter Moore called the "The Wrong Way Home"? He's an (irritating) Aussie backpacker who decided to go from London Kings Cross to Sydney's Kings Cross without flying even once. An interesting set of adventures ensued ... and I won't spoil it by saying whether he succeeded or not.

It reminded me of the sad feeling I had in Hong Kong when I found a clock tower which was all that remained of a railway station where 100 years ago you could reach London from. Imagine the countries you'd have to cross to make that journey now.

Simone Nov 25th 2003 8:30 pm

Re: I want to travel to Sydney, but I don’t want to fly more than three hours at a ti

Originally posted by SteveBannister
This was one of the questions today in the Daily Mail:

My Question is........Why?

Steve
Oh, lol!

I thought YOU were seriously wanting to do this when I read the title, and I also asked............Why?

ha ha

bondipom Nov 25th 2003 8:59 pm

Without flying it would have to be training it to Moscow, the transsiberian express to Beijing. I don't know how easy it is to make it to thailand via laos or nam and cambodia. Down to Singapore by bus and boat to Indonesia. Anyone know of a boat from indonesia to Oz?

CHnJ Nov 25th 2003 9:17 pm

The boat from Indonesia to Oz is the crux of the book : )

Pollyana Nov 25th 2003 9:49 pm

I'm just reading the one by Peter Moore, its excellent - very well written.
Theres another one, a favourite of mine,called Beyond the Blue Horizon, by Alexander Frater. He decided that he would fly from the UK (Heathrow) to Australia (Brisbane) by the route used by the old flying boats of Imperial Airways. There were 35 stops on the route - all but two still operating as airfields (those 2 he visitied by train/road) and he flew the whole route by scheduled airline. Fascinating read!