Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I want to take my cat can you help?

I want to take my cat can you help?

Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of
Default I want to take my cat can you help?

I have a young cat and want to take from UK to Brisbane, how much does it cost and can anyone reccommend a good pet transporter? Is it worth the trauma to our pet if the waiting time is so long?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to take my cat can you help?

Originally Posted by WILKINSONS
I have a young cat and want to take from UK to Brisbane, how much does it cost and can anyone reccommend a good pet transporter? Is it worth the trauma to our pet if the waiting time is so long?
If you do a search for 'export pet' or 'ship cat', or similar, you will find LOTS of information and advice that might answer your questions.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WILKINSONS
try googling airpets ? they have quoted us but can't find it right now, I know there are numerous others do the search on this site to see if you can find the thread.

Probably around £1- 1,500 for the one cat?
Waiting time ??? From what we were told your pet has to have up to date vaccinations and blood tests etc.
Couldn't possibly leave mine so will be taking her with us.
Oh another thing is you may need to book this up to three months in advance of your leaving the UK but the pet carrier will know when you enquire!

Jen
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:43 am
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice

Hi there,

We shipped our two cats from the UK to Perth using Golden Arrow Shippers, it cost us around 1,400GBP (sorry can't find the pound sign on my Aus keyboard!) along with quarantine fees of $1000 this end. Couldn't recommend Golden Arrow enough, they were fab. They picked the cats up from our house in Bedfordshire around 5 days before they flew, they try and book them onto the same flight as you are on (if you are going with BA) or one around the same time. The cats were picked up this end and taken to quarantine where they stayed for 4 weeks before being released. They are both 100% fine and seemed to survive the ordeal without any problems whatsoever.

If you decide to go ahead I would book as soon as possible as the quarantine centres get booked up very fast, they recommend you give at least 3 months notice.

It is pretty expensive so if you think your cat would be happy to be re-homed in the UK then maybe consider that as well. For us leaving them wasn't an option so we stumped up the dosh.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 4:20 am
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

We used Animal Couriers, which is a small company based in Sussex. They were really great (as we had to keep changing the date of our flight because of visa problems) and it cost GBP880 or so for both our cats (one big, one small).

We were going to do it ourselves and got the import and export permit ourselves (v. easy to do), which is why it was a bit cheaper. All we needed was the flight really (as it was virtually impossible by ourselves, and everyone told us different info), and we dropped them off at their house in Sussex.

If you need any more info on saving by doing some of the process yourselves, let me know.

Also, we were thinking about leaving the cats in the UK but couldn't as they are like family , and were really worried about the flight traumatising them (and a long time in quarantine), but they were absolutely fine, so don't worry about that!