Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I want my BBQ back!!!

I want my BBQ back!!!

Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:33 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default I want my BBQ back!!!

Hi people!!

I've not posted on here for a while, as I've been far too busy enjoying my new surroundings!!!

I just thought I'd post a quick thread about my BBQ! :scared:
I bought a lovely new 4 burner Barbie almost imediatly after landing ( priorities ) and really enjoyed using it in the first few weeks! ...anyway, I came to use it the other day, and I'm cooking away merrily when my first redback sighting became a little close for comfort! :scared: ....as I was cooking, a redback came down from the roof and parked itself on the side table of the barbie. I had a couple of double takes until I confirmed what it was (as if they're not easy to recognise! )
....to cut a long story short, I found 4 others on and around the BBQ, and I want a new one, as this one has been invaded!

Once cooking was over, I led an all out attack with fly spray and reclaimed what's rightfully mine!! *cheers*

What I was going to say, was that I was terrified of confronting the poisnous stuff over here, and now that I've seen them, and know what to expect, they don't freak me out so much. You just have to be aware that they could be there, and check before handling likely hiding places!! ....they're actually quite amazing looking things, and I'm facinated when I find one!

not seen any snakes yet.......
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want my BBQ back!!!

Hiya Grant
All out war on the redbacks eh??
Life sound good for you, bet you're looking forward to xmas
Keep posting!!!
All the best
Hilaryx
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrantP
Hi people!!

I've not posted on here for a while, as I've been far too busy enjoying my new surroundings!!!

I just thought I'd post a quick thread about my BBQ! :scared:
I bought a lovely new 4 burner Barbie almost imediatly after landing ( priorities ) and really enjoyed using it in the first few weeks! ...anyway, I came to use it the other day, and I'm cooking away merrily when my first redback sighting became a little close for comfort! :scared: ....as I was cooking, a redback came down from the roof and parked itself on the side table of the barbie. I had a couple of double takes until I confirmed what it was (as if they're not easy to recognise! )
....to cut a long story short, I found 4 others on and around the BBQ, and I want a new one, as this one has been invaded!

Once cooking was over, I led an all out attack with fly spray and reclaimed what's rightfully mine!! *cheers*

What I was going to say, was that I was terrified of confronting the poisnous stuff over here, and now that I've seen them, and know what to expect, they don't freak me out so much. You just have to be aware that they could be there, and check before handling likely hiding places!! ....they're actually quite amazing looking things, and I'm facinated when I find one!

not seen any snakes yet.......
Sending you Karma and a blue peter badge for being so brave, Denise
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:06 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i've been in oz for 5 years now, and i still haven't seen a redback. i did sit on a whiteback nest somewhere on the sunshine coast (in the bush), and a snake it the roof of a backpackers once.

i think anyone who worries that oz is over-run by 'creepies' is sadly mistaken.

luckily, i'm not scared of spiders/snakes. i don't think i've ever once gone through checking my shoes before i put them on, or any other such over-cautious behaviour.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
i've been in oz for 5 years now, and i still haven't seen a redback. i did sit on a whiteback nest somewhere on the sunshine coast (in the bush), and a snake it the roof of a backpackers once.

i think anyone who worries that oz is over-run by 'creepies' is sadly mistaken.

luckily, i'm not scared of spiders/snakes. i don't think i've ever once gone through checking my shoes before i put them on, or any other such over-cautious behaviour.
Have to agree with you there - these new migrants must be the unluckiest people in the country with the number of spider-sightings they encounter.

I've been here for twenty-six years now and have only ever seen two red-backs in all that time.

Mind you - I don't go looking for them.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:31 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyc
Have to agree with you there - these new migrants must be the unluckiest people in the country with the number of spider-sightings they encounter.

I've been here for twenty-six years now and have only ever seen two red-backs in all that time.

I dispatched 5 to spider heaven the other night. I found one making a web between the legs of our garden furniture, he was swiftly killed. I decided to investigate further when I discovered 4 more on the other chairs and table.

Believe me they are there if you look.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nickyc

I haven't seen one, but then, we do a pest spray on a regular basis.

I did find a largish spider at the weekend though, maybe 2" leg span, hanging down from a plant on the patio. I ran straight for the spray

A bit more info on the redback:
  • less than 30 percent require antivenom treatment
  • More than 250 cases receive antivenom each year
  • Redback spiders are prolific throughout Australia but are less common in colder regions such as Melbourne
  • Only female Redbacks usually bite people - the males are too small
  • No deaths have been reported since 1955
  • Redbacks are often absent in gardens that are well kept, moist, with much shade
http://www.redback-spider.com.au/

Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:39 am
sheila and joe

joe and sheila will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=brisnick]i've been in oz for 5 years now, and i still haven't seen a redback.

i've been here for 4 months and have seen 1 redback -- killed it cos i know they are nasty ( don't kill the harmless ones as at least they eat other little nasties) however what i have seen more of is COCKROACHES :scared: :scared: really big, nasty ones YUK!!!!!!!!!! - sprayed some stuff round my house but now it smells like PEE!!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:23 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What I can't understand is why people run to kill the spiders, especially if they are in the garden? Not talking about redbacks here, obviously I would squash them or a white tailed spider if I saw one (havent seen a white tailed yet in 41 years!), but I cant think of any other spiders up here in Qld that are harmful, so why kill it? They trap & eat insects, they're a good thing!

Hysteria can do funny things to peoples brains .
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
What I can't understand is why people run to kill the spiders, especially if they are in the garden? Not talking about redbacks here, obviously I would squash them or a white tailed spider if I saw one (havent seen a white tailed yet in 41 years!), but I cant think of any other spiders up here in Qld that are harmful, so why kill it?
Just in case ?

I think that, from reading everything that read, we are all pre-programmed to assume that they are all dangerous.

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:36 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

What I can't understand is why people run to kill the spiders, especially if they are in the garden? Not talking about redbacks here, obviously I would squash them or a white tailed spider if I saw one (havent seen a white tailed yet in 41 years!), but I cant think of any other spiders up here in Qld that are harmful, so why kill it? They trap & eat insects, they're a good thing!

Hysteria can do funny things to peoples brains .
I recently killed a nest of Huntsman's (including the mother! ) simply because they were in my garage, and there must have been over 100 babies!! ...you telling me I should have left them alone??

I agree with you in some part though, I try not to kill Daddy Long Legs, as they are a well known deterant for the nasties!

Talking about deterants.....I also found a baby gekko (spelling?) in our bedroom the other day! It was cute as!! ...about the size of a 10 cent piece in length with a see thru body!! ...must have been very young?? Gekko's are nice to have around, as they eat Cockroaches too!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:38 am
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by hilary6
Hiya Grant
All out war on the redbacks eh??
Life sound good for you, bet you're looking forward to xmas
Keep posting!!!
All the best
Hilaryx
Hi H!!!

Good to hear from you!!

You can always send me a PM if you miss me posting, or need some info!!

I'm heading straight for the beach on xmas day!!!! ....gonna have a nice stroll and think of the weather in the UK!!!! ....sorry!! haha!

Grant
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I recently killed a nest of Huntsman's (including the mother! ) simply because they were in my garage, and there must have been over 100 babies!! ...you telling me I should have left them alone??
Why not? What were they going to do to you?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 10:50 am
Welsh Member!!

Why not? What were they going to do to you?
....invade the house??

I've already lost my BBQ to load of RedBacks once, and now you want me to hand over my house??? ....Fat chance! I'm going to come out fighting this time!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi H!!!

Good to hear from you!!

You can always send me a PM if you miss me posting, or need some info!!

I'm heading straight for the beach on xmas day!!!! ....gonna have a nice stroll and think of the weather in the UK!!!! ....sorry!! haha!

Grant
Xmas on the beach..................Hopefully next year
How work going, you still in the same job?
Hilary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.