Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i want to go but wife does'nt !!

i want to go but wife does'nt !!

Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i want to go but wife does'nt !!

Theres a fairly recent thread running on here (Leaving your parents behind) about this. It brings tears to my eyes, but it well worth the read.

It may help you understand her point of view and it may help her identify her fears and maybe allay some of them.

Things like visiting (frequency, duration, financial ability to do so, health ability,and work commitments all to consider) make a big difference in the choice.

Having done it I have I agree with other posters its stressful enough you have to both be in it together.

Last edited by Safin; Aug 29th 2008 at 12:47 am.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
Mr. T never wanted to go on a plane. But that didn't stop the A-team.
Maybe Coopes could spike his wife's milk and when she comes around she'd find herself in Pacific Pines, or Joondalup.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopes
After reading all your posts, I'll suggest we go on holiday for a few weeks and see how we both would feel, after-all it's supposed to be improving our lives not making them worse.
While you should of course enjoy your trip here - please make an effort to get a feel for real life in Australia. If you're thinking of moving to Sydney, for instance, travel down town in the morning rush. Sit down with a real estate agent in the area you want to move to and ask for current advice on the rental/property market. Do a shop in the supermarket comparable to one you'd do at home.

I remember watching one of those 'Wanted Down Under' or similar shows a year or so ago. There was this couple who were thinking of moving to Sydney and in the segment of the show in which they wanted to give them a feel for everyday recreational activities - they sent them up in a helicopter on a scenic tour of the harbour! I was sitting there thinking, 'oh sure, practically every day we go on scenic helicopter rides'. Not saying you'd do that, just that there's a *very* different feeling between visiting somewhere on holiday knowing your little house is right where you left it - and arriving in a new country knowing nobody.

Originally Posted by markandgill
as a sceptical wife, if you can afford it go for a hol, i swore i would never set foot in oz as too many things that moved would kill you, we went last May to see what we thought and i totally fell in love with the place and cant wait to get there (if only we could sell the house) so you never know never say never eh.
Sounds like my missus. She never wanted to visit here, but as my parents are getting on a bit (and live here in Oz) she told me we'd better go and see 'em before they died. Harsh but fair. So we came out on holiday and she totally loved the place. Then we came out again for a couple of months trial living with my parents (and believe me - it was a trial) before we finally moved here permanently in 2006. I think a lot of the time it's the fear of the unknown that holds people back.

Originally Posted by markallwood
Mr. T never wanted to go on a plane. But that didn't stop the A-team.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice regarding your experiences to gently persuade her ??

Only other option is to tie her up, gag her and pop her into the suitcase !!!
(I need her to get in as she is a teacher !!)

thanks in advance
Divorce.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:57 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Theres a fairly recent thread running on here (Leaving your parents behind) about this. It brings tears to my eyes, but it well worth the read.

It may help you understand her point of view and it may help her identify her fears and maybe allay some of them.

Things like visiting (frequency, duration, financial ability to do so, health ability,and work commitments all to consider) make a big difference in the choice.

Having done it I have I agree with other posters its stressful enough you have to both be in it together.
here is the link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=alborg
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
ta - I still haven't worked out how to do that
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

My two cents worth (or 5 because there are no 2's) is that you might want to take a look on the working abroad by profession forum. Teaching is not easy to get into over here and if your wife was reluctant to come over in the first place then the mountain of paperwork to complete and number of hoops to jump through in order just to register as a teacher over here will not make her feel settled.

Plus after all that registering you then have to do 20 days continuous teaching or 40 days relief teaching BEFORE you can apply for a teacher rating (level) and apply for permanent jobs. Oh and then when you apply for permanent jobs you have to consider moving within the state you're living in.

It's probably the first time that I've thought back to the UK and thought 'I wish I still worked at my old school'

Oh but the sun was shining today so I tried to think about that whilst driving 40 mins home from my day relief teaching.

Just another thing to think about and I wanted to tell you it through eyes that are most definitely NOT hidden behind the rose tinted at the moment.

Stella
P.S I'm in QLD so obviously different applications system work in different states.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Gah, and after ALL that whinging I forgot to say I'm talking about Primary teaching. If she's a secondary teacher then ignore all of the above because it's not the same

Good Luck

Last edited by Stella340; Aug 29th 2008 at 7:41 am.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
If it aint broke, dont fix it. You both have to be 100% otherwise one of you is going to be miserable when you get here. Also, you say that your wife is a teacher - dont expect her to be able to walk into a teaching job in an idyllic setting - check out the teaching boards. For the most part there is immense competition in the places that people actually want to emigrate to and the vacancies crop up in places that no one wants to live in even though immigration says we need teachers!
Note to self - read the replies first!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:05 am
Hibees Hibees

gary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nice

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while now and I've always wanted to go but reading this forum has really provoked my desire to go to aus more than ever......... however, my wife does'nt want to. The only thing holding her back is her parents which she does'nt want to leave.

I'm 33 she is 30 and we have a 2 year old daughter, we live on the Isle of Wight and compared to most have a reasonable way of life but I feel this would vastly improve if we lived in aus. Dont get me wrong, our financial situation would roughly be the same although our house would be much better along with the climate and outdoor living in general.

Any advice regarding your experiences to gently persuade her ??

Only other option is to tie her up, gag her and pop her into the suitcase !!!
(I need her to get in as she is a teacher !!)

thanks in advance
We went thru the process in 2006 and were just waiting on the visa when we decided we had to go on a recce trip.Spent three weeks there had great holiday but my wife decided it wasn't for her which was hard to take at first and took a while to accept but Iam glad she was honest rather than go thru with it just for me then hate it and it all go wrong.It's not for everybody but I would go on a holiday first then see what she thinks.Good luck

Gaz
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

I'm in a similar situation mate. My wife has bee very negative about moving for the past 6 months, especially about family, friends, kids' friends, type of house, finance and child support. However, I asked her to stop being bloody negative and to only make comments that are positive for one month. Stragely enough she has a much more positive outlook on Aus at the moment although she does keep on telling me how settled our kids are and how many good friends they have here!
I'm sure we will move but I'm hoping Aus can sell itself. If not then we will return together.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:03 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I second this. Don't do it mate. It's great here but if your wife hates it your life will be a living hell.
Oh I'm not sure - when my (now ex) wife came here many many years she made it far worse than that!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

coopes will become famous soon enoughcoopes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stella340
My two cents worth (or 5 because there are no 2's) is that you might want to take a look on the working abroad by profession forum. Teaching is not easy to get into over here and if your wife was reluctant to come over in the first place then the mountain of paperwork to complete and number of hoops to jump through in order just to register as a teacher over here will not make her feel settled.

Plus after all that registering you then have to do 20 days continuous teaching or 40 days relief teaching BEFORE you can apply for a teacher rating (level) and apply for permanent jobs. Oh and then when you apply for permanent jobs you have to consider moving within the state you're living in.

It's probably the first time that I've thought back to the UK and thought 'I wish I still worked at my old school'

Oh but the sun was shining today so I tried to think about that whilst driving 40 mins home from my day relief teaching.

Just another thing to think about and I wanted to tell you it through eyes that are most definitely NOT hidden behind the rose tinted at the moment.

Stella
P.S I'm in QLD so obviously different applications system work in different states.
QLD is the preferable place and she is a primary school teacher. The amount of hours and paperwork she does is huge, she is always working even going in to school at weekends !!!
We both also have to drive about 45 mins to work and if we have to do this I would rather a nice bit of sun on our backs

I did'nt say a word about it last night and then she brought it up . Her comment was 'whats the currency in Australia'. Bless her.... I know....I know, but it's a start
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:27 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I can totally understand your wife's position.
I wanted to live in Australia - in fact my visa application has been lodged since February.

My Dad died last month and now I won't go because I don't want to leave my Mum (although she lives 3 hours away from me ).
It was easier leaving when Dad was alive because they had each other.
Having watched my Dad die I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the world if my Mum became ill.

For me making sure my Mum is ok is more important than emigrating. For others it may not be. I knew that realistically there's no way I'd be able to afford to make yearly trips back to see her just as I can't afford to make yearly trips to Australia now.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Are her parents skilled or retired? Could they come too? Would you want them to?

If she is an only child or only has one sibling and they have a reasonable amount of money and are healthy, they might look at a CPV, but there would probably be a delay of three or four years before they could come, unless they would qualify for a visa on their own merits.

I can't see my parents doing that, but there are plenty on here that have followed their children to Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.