Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I wanna go home (Auckland)

I wanna go home (Auckland)

Old Feb 8th 2003, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

valeriejabir is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool I wanna go home (Auckland)

I already have NZ passport. My daughter is expecting her 2nd baby in Auckland and I want to take up my grannyhood.

Few problems though:
1) I have married in the UK and need to know how I can apply to take my husband back to NZ. (Surely not the points system, please!)
2) Retirement is not far off for us. Anyone know the rules on getting a state pension in NZ? (i.e. How long do you have to work there, will my previous NZ employment count?)
3) Will my UK teaching qualifications be OK in NZ? (Got to keep working until retirement.)

Any enlightenment would be welcome.
Kind regards,
Valerie Jabir
Old Feb 8th 2003, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Valerie, no you wont have to go through the points system. As you have a NZ passport you can apply for Permanent Residence for your husband under the family category - effectively all you need to do is be able to provide evidence of your relationship (ie marriage certificate). Your husband will be given permanent residence allowing him to remain indefinitely in NZ. Once he has lived in NZ for two years he can apply for NZ citizenship & then a passport. Have a look at:

www.immigration.govt.nz/migration/family.html

2 - not sure about this, sorry....if anyone knows the answer I'd be interested - although retirement is a long way off for me it would be useful to know how long you have to remain in NZ before you're entitled to a pension (i know that Oz it's 10 years...anyone know about NZ?)

3 - yes, you'll have to register as a teacher in NZ though.

all the best,
Russ
Old Feb 9th 2003, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I wanna go home (Auckland)

Originally posted by valeriejabir
I already have NZ passport. My daughter is expecting her 2nd baby in Auckland and I want to take up my grannyhood.

Few problems though:
1) I have married in the UK and need to know how I can apply to take my husband back to NZ. (Surely not the points system, please!)
2) Retirement is not far off for us. Anyone know the rules on getting a state pension in NZ? (i.e. How long do you have to work there, will my previous NZ employment count?)
3) Will my UK teaching qualifications be OK in NZ? (Got to keep working until retirement.)

Any enlightenment would be welcome.
Kind regards,
Valerie Jabir
Your teaching qualifications will need to be assessed by the NZQA and it cost us 400 dollars each over 2 years ago. Ironic really considering we could not have gained entry in to the country in the first place without these being assessed first!