Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I think we need the lifestyle!!

Wikiposts

I think we need the lifestyle!!

Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:37 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice
Default Re: I think we need the lifestyle!!

Originally Posted by diddy
Despite the arguments of some, very few of us are heading to, or are in, Oz expecting it to be a bed of roses.

I have no doubt that it's gonna be tough for a while when we arrive.

Modern Australia was built on migrants and pioneers, which is the attitude that prevails today.

Unfortunately, some people just aren't tough enough to make it there.

Paul.
You sound real tough "diddy"
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:39 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Paul
I think that kind of statement is a bit provocative and a bit too simplistic.
Migration is not supposed to be some sort of Antipodean 'Big Brother' contest.
Most people say they are going to improve their standard of living not to be 'Great white hunters' or frontiersmen.

It also does not explain the number of Australian professionals who leave to improve their lot.

My son is an engineer in Australia. He used to share a house with some other young engineers in Brisbane. They were Australians and have all left to work in England to 'earn some proper money' and to improve their CVs.

I recently met some contractors working on the Karuah bypass in NSW. They were living away from home and were 'doing it for the money'.They were being paid about $850 a week and thought that was a lot as the most they could earn in their home towns (Orange and Bathurst) would be about $500 a week which they though would be about the average wage. These men were not labourers.
The Australian working life can be tough for some.

G

Grayling,

I think you know who I'm trying to wind up.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Grayling,

I think you know who I'm trying to wind up.
Paul
I accept that

It's just that when people have made that sort of statement in the past it has upset a lot of people.

Best wishes

G
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I have been keeping an eye on Nursing Job adverts in Australia for the past couple of years.

What is striking is that the number of jobs advertised on a casual basis is increasing.
There is no shortage of work but it means that employers do not have added 'on costs'. It also means that casuals can be employed on the grade that suits the employer.

This is not always bad as it would suit me as I don't intend to work much anyway. It is ,however, difficult to run a home on that basis if it is your only income.
I would suggest that Nurses should find themselves a permanent, contracted job before they go as they may initially have to work on a casual basis in some areas.

G
Sorry G

I have to disagree with that statement. When we were looking ot come ot Australia, Bill was in the very enviable position of having the choice of working in 4 different states at several hospitals and health care providers, not one of them offered casual, all were desperate to take him on a permanent contract. A good friend of mine (who is also a member of this board) arrived here recently, had a casual nurses pool job within a couple of weeks of arrivng and within a coupl eof weeks after that was then offered a permanent contract in one of the hospitals here. I also know of a a couple of other nurses coming to Adelaide, ALL have been offered perm jobs immediately.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Sorry G

I have to disagree with that statement. When we were looking ot come ot Australia, Bill was in the very enviable position of having the choice of working in 4 different states at several hospitals and health care providers, not one of them offered casual, all were desperate to take him on a permanent contract. A good friend of mine (who is also a member of this board) arrived here recently, had a casual nurses pool job within a couple of weeks of arrivng and within a coupl eof weeks after that was then offered a permanent contract in one of the hospitals here. I also know of a a couple of other nurses coming to Adelaide, ALL have been offered perm jobs immediately.
PP
I agree there are plenty of permanent jobs available. I was just commenting that there are a lot more casual positions advertised than there used to be.

Have a look here:

http://www3.health.nsw.gov.au/healthjobs/index.html

I have been offered a number of permanent jobs.

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

What is striking is that the number of jobs advertised on a casual basis is increasing.
There is no shortage of work but it means that employers do not have added 'on costs'. It also means that casuals can be employed on the grade that suits the employer.
Can you clarify what the "on costs" are that the employers don't have with casual workers ?
I also know people who work casual, and have been offered permanent, but don't want it, because it means a reduction in pay.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Can you clarify what the "on costs" are that the employers don't have with casual workers ?
I also know people who work casual, and have been offered permanent, but don't want it, because it means a reduction in pay.
As I understand it: Holiday pay, sick pay etc. Redundancy pay?

I may be wrong.
I know casuals earn more per hour.

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:17 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kong

Name one country that doesnt have financial struggles????

NONE

However there is little doubt that under Johnny Howard there has been an explosion in the number of "casual" jobs which offer no guaranteed pay or hours and bugger all employment rights. In the UK "temp" jobs exist through agencies, most workers use this method to "get a foot in the door" prove their worth and go permenant after 3 months and get all the perks such as 20-25 days paid holiday sick pay etc. I do not know anyone who would wish to work as a casual for years on end, unfortuntely in Oz a lot of people have a choice of being exploited as a casual or the dole.

Sadly for the POM refugees, they are not entitled to dole for 2 years, so may well end up working "as and when" required and could well find that the wages do not cover rent/bills/food/car costs etc.

Still, theres always the beach....Especially useful on a cold windy day in August.
If their wages don't cover bills, thean maybe they either need to do one of the following: live within their means or start working smarter.

As for the rest of your comments, what makes you think Australia owes any foreigner a living? Does Britain owe me one? America definitely didn't. I had to make myself and my family one.

Enjoy your welfare state.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

As I understand it: Holiday pay, sick pay etc. Redundancy pay?

I may be wrong.
I know casuals earn more per hour.

G
Ah, I see. Those things are actually included in the casual rate of pay, hence the higher hourly rate, so the employer does actually still end up paying them, just on an hourly basis rather than when they actually go on holiday etc. I wasn't certain if things had changed since I was involved in all that a few years ago.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Ah, I see. Those things are actually included in the casual rate of pay, hence the higher hourly rate, so the employer does actually still end up paying them, just on an hourly basis rather than when they actually go on holiday etc. I wasn't certain if things had changed since I was involved in all that a few years ago.
As I said it would suit me as I have other income.
The problem would arise(for many people) I would Imagine, if there were long periods when no work was available. Otherwise I don't necessarily see it as all bad.

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:26 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

As I said it would suit me as I have other income.
The problem would arise(for many people) I would Imagine, if there were long periods when no work was available. Otherwise I don't necessarily see it as all bad.

G
Err, "if there were long periods when no work was available", then expect the sack "permanent", casual, temporary, director or chairman.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kong

Name one country that doesnt have financial struggles????

NONE

However there is little doubt that under Johnny Howard there has been an explosion in the number of "casual" jobs which offer no guaranteed pay or hours and bugger all employment rights. In the UK "temp" jobs exist through agencies, most workers use this method to "get a foot in the door" prove their worth and go permenant after 3 months and get all the perks such as 20-25 days paid holiday sick pay etc. I do not know anyone who would wish to work as a casual for years on end, unfortuntely in Oz a lot of people have a choice of being exploited as a casual or the dole.

Sadly for the POM refugees, they are not entitled to dole for 2 years, so may well end up working "as and when" required and could well find that the wages do not cover rent/bills/food/car costs etc.

Still, theres always the beach....Especially useful on a cold windy day in August.

I have already made comment regarding the "temp" mentality here in the UK in my previous post, so wont comment again.

But, I am wondering just why SHOULD Australia pay POM refugees the dole? Its their own choice to go to Australia, no one has begged them to go. My Grandfather was born here in the UK and can I get the dole here? Or any kind of public money assistance? No....I have had to support myself totally since arriving here....and did I expect anyone to support me? No....because I chose to come here....I have paid taxes and not complained about paying National Insurance which I wont get back in a pension....

I cant believe the mentality of those that think everyone owes THEM....

~getting off my soapbox~
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Hels
I have already made comment regarding the "temp" mentality here in the UK in my previous post, so wont comment again.

But, I am wondering just why SHOULD Australia pay POM refugees the dole? Its their own choice to go to Australia, no one has begged them to go. My Grandfather was born here in the UK and can I get the dole here? Or any kind of public money assistance? No....I have had to support myself totally since arriving here....and did I expect anyone to support me? No....because I chose to come here....I have paid taxes and not complained about paying National Insurance which I wont get back in a pension....

~getting off my soapbox~
In fairness to Kong
I do not think he was suggesting that immigrants should get the dole. He was pointing out that they may have to struggle on Casual work and may find things difficult.
Saying that there have been plenty of posts on here along the lines of:'what am I entitled to?' or 'What benefits can I get? or 'what child allowance/rent allowance is available?' Often from people who in other posts have complained about 'Immigrants' freeloading off the UK system

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:43 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels

~getting off my soapbox~
Ooooooooooo!!!

I just tried sending some Karma, but apparently I'm not allowed. So try breathing slowly and counting to ten.

Paul.

By the way, I agree with what you're saying.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

In fairness to Kong
I do not think he was suggesting that immigrants should get the dole. He was pointing out that they may have to struggle on Casual work and may find things difficult.
Saying that there have been plenty of posts on here along the lines of:'what am I entitled to?' or 'What benefits can I get? or 'what child allowance/rent allowance is available?' Often from people who in other posts have complained about 'Immigrants' freeloading off the UK system

G

I was really talking about people in general with that attitude but it was his post that prompted me, thats all really....I mean I dont know kong at all...and dont know if he is like that....just using his comment to highlight my feelings on it...

I worked for years in the CES in Australia which was usually the first point of contact for immigrants to Australia because to go on the dole they first had to be registered with the CES....It was one of my pet hates when they came through the door wanting hand outs the minute they arrived in the country....

Since arriving in the UK it also does my head in the amount of hand outs people arriving in the country for various reasons get....Its not just in Australia...its anywhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.