Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I think the sky is bigger in Australia!

I think the sky is bigger in Australia!

Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:53 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think the sky is bigger in Australia!

Just an observation - the rainbows here seem to be much wider and higher than any I have ever seen in the UK. There's been that much rain here in Sydney in the last week that I have had a fair few rainbows to observe!

Can anybody else relate to this or do I just have to accept that the years are creeping up on me and my eyes just ain't want they used to be?!

(Or perhaps, and it's a very small perhaps, there is some geographical or climactic reasoning for this!)

B
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think the sky is bigger in Australia!

Originally Posted by binbird
Just an observation - the rainbows here seem to be much wider and higher than any I have ever seen in the UK. There's been that much rain here in Sydney in the last week that I have had a fair few rainbows to observe!

Can anybody else relate to this or do I just have to accept that the years are creeping up on me and my eyes just ain't want they used to be?!

(Or perhaps, and it's a very small perhaps, there is some geographical or climactic reasoning for this!)

B
Maybe you have cataracts.........
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:07 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

B
Angle of the sun maybe???
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

B
Less crap on the horizon in Oz.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

whatever it is it's got to be good! woke up this morning to the thickest fog! Didn't disappear till lunch time either!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:50 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

B
Same sky, different perspective.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

B
I've not seen rainbows as good as the UK yet. (I once saw a complete double rainbow in the UK.)

But, I see the Belt of Venus and sun Halos all the time; things I never saw in the UK.

Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:25 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Same sky, different perspective.
Correct - and scientifically, at a different latitude you get a different perspective on the curvature of the horizon, which creates the illusion that the sky is indeed bigger (because the earth is not a perfect sphere). Or something like that.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:47 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Pic taken from balcony in Sydney recently.
Attached Thumbnails I think the sky is bigger in Australia!-picture-086.jpg  
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:09 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

My wife keeps telling me the sky is bigger in Aus than Europe. My reply is that it will be if the horizons are further away, otherwise it can't be.
Dr Karl claims after a recent trip to Europe that the sky there isn't blue - due to pollution from overpopulation - that could affect rainbows.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:10 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MD09
Looks like a giant jelly contact lense!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
nice picture
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
Correct - and scientifically, at a different latitude you get a different perspective on the curvature of the horizon, which creates the illusion that the sky is indeed bigger (because the earth is not a perfect sphere). Or something like that.

Ahaaa..... It is one thing I had noticed as well, and wondered what the reason was.... I actually thought it was more to do with a more crowded horizon, in the UK.

Stand out the back of Goondiwindi.... with nothing on the horizon, and I actually got a touch of Agrophpobia... nothing but brown/red dusty dirt and blue sky... how that is appealing gawd knows... Made me realise I was a city lover.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ahaaa..... It is one thing I had noticed as well, and wondered what the reason was.... I actually thought it was more to do with a more crowded horizon, in the UK.

Stand out the back of Goondiwindi.... with nothing on the horizon, and I actually got a touch of Agrophpobia... nothing but brown/red dusty dirt and blue sky... how that is appealing gawd knows... Made me realise I was a city lover.
I'm the other way round - love the country but being able to catch up over a chocolate in Fitzroy is also good. Best of both worlds.

I drove my brother down the lane from her house on a sunny day with a bit of high wispy cloud and you get good views there. He said, "I've never seen clouds like that in the UK" (he meant the variety).

When I landed back in the Uk I felt squashed - my first instinct was to wonder where the sky was - well I could see it - it seemed way too low.

Friends come over from the CBD and notice the clear sky, stars and the complete freshness of the air = we're only 45k out.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:43 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I think the sky is bigger in Australia!

B
The air is cleaner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.