Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I.T. YEARS of experiance, no quals! Help???

I.T. YEARS of experiance, no quals! Help???

Old Jan 6th 2007, 4:36 pm
Lid
Just Joined

Lid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I.T. YEARS of experiance, no quals! Help???

And, thanks for all the replys and idea's guys n gals.

And Utopia, I shall be looking Glenn up VERY soon
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
If this is true that is BLOODY BRILLIANT...my OH has 25yrs in IT and I need him to get a job too (going on my degree tho) ....if anyone else knows about this it would be great!
It is true, I promise. I have only O levels, did my RPL, it was passed by the ACS, and I am here now on a permanent residence visa. The RPL is hard to write, so get an agent that has examples to show you. My agent vetted mine, made recommendations, redrafted, further changes, etc etc. Took 2 months to do it, spending a couple of hours a day on it when I could, but I got there.

Good Luck with it.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

My OH was in the same situation - had a few years of programming under his belt (all self taught) but no formal qualifications.

We got round it by using a really good migrant agent (Concept Australia) who told us exactly what he needed and which visa we could apply for. So he did his Microsoft exams which involved him being stuck away in the office for 3 months just studying solid and then two weeks of intensive training and exams - but hey presto one certified person - in more ways than one. That and the reference from his employers was OK for the ACS.

It was hard work and did cost us a bit but it was worth it - the only downside was that when he was doing his course the Govt changed the points system and took Microsoft programming off the MODL which didn't then give us enough points for independent so had to go for STNI Victoria - but again that was so useful having the agent point us in the right direction.

Don't worry about your age! OH did his exams in the summer, ACS in Autumn then the STNI approval and finally got his application to DIMA one week before his 45th birthday. But hey presto 9 months later visa arrived and we leave this week for Melbourne (via a lovely 12 stop in Singapore to recover).

Good Luck!
Kim
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:19 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Hi There

I too have no degree, I do have an HND in computing however this was just a good starting point in the UK many years ago. I applied for a skilled migrants visa on the basis that I had over 6 years experience in my industry. The evidence was sent to ACS who approved it and the onto the next stage of submitting my application. I have been here now for over a year and half now working away very successfully I may add in IT. Prospects have been far superior than the UK since I arrived.
An HND or even a ND which includes at least 3 years of fulltime study is viewed the same as a degree and is awarded the same number of points.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:05 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

You cant work on a 3 month visa, and are unlikely to get sponsorship
I am in a similar situation but with 8 years experience, but have managed to get an employer to sponsor me. Application for 457 is in at the moment and hopefully in Brisbane in Mid February.

You can find people willing to sponsor you if you start contacting companies.