Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I.T.Help with xmas pressie

I.T.Help with xmas pressie

Old Dec 26th 2002, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I.T.Help with xmas pressie

Hi,Just bought a digital video camera for the wife for xmas.Main reason is to send short moving image back via e-mail etc.However we are puzzled with the info etc and wondered whether anyone has the faintest idea what it`s all about?It`s a canonmv530i mini dv camcorder with 8mbmmc card?ieee1394 pci capure card firewire cableand video works and presto image folio(cd rom)I have a modern fujutsi siemans laptop which has something called movie maker installed.The hardware installationfor the1394pci card looks impossible on the laptop as there is no space.I was told this was compatible with my pc have I been fed a line of crap.any help appreciated. jockney
Old Dec 26th 2002, 1:38 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Jockney - unless you have a laptop which has space for PCI cards, OR a bult in Firewire/ilink port, you won't be able to connect the camera to the laptop.

My home pc - a full size pc - does have a firewire card in it, but my work laptop doesn't have any PCI slots, thus can't take the same card.

[which model FS laptop do you have - some of them (eg Amilo-D7800V2) do have built in Firewire ports?]

walaj

Last edited by walaj; Dec 26th 2002 at 1:42 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2002, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ypu need firewire port installing - only around £20 (not sure about laptop) but you'll find memory an issue. Need loads of RAM and fast processor and lots of Gigs. Even a tiny piece of video footage takes up huge memory, however get a CD rewriter and you immediately save them to CD, freeing up storage on your PC.

Sounds as if I know what I'm talking about...

Bought one a while ago, got PC up specked, bought Studio 7 software, and never used it since. Have about 7 hours of video to edit now.

Good luck
Mash...
Originally posted by walaj
Jockney - unless you have a laptop which has space for PCI cards, OR a bult in Firewire/ilink port, you won't be able to connect the camera to the laptop.

My home pc - a full size pc - does have a firewire card in it, but my work laptop doesn't have any PCI slots, thus can't take the same card.

[which model FS laptop do you have - some of them (eg Amilo-D7800V2) do have built in Firewire ports?]

walaj
Old Dec 26th 2002, 4:10 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I.T.Help with xmas pressie

Originally posted by jockney
Hi,Just bought a digital video camera for the wife for xmas.Main reason is to send short moving image back via e-mail etc.
...Snip....
.I was told this was compatible with my pc have I been fed a line of crap.any help appreciated. jockney
Have you been fed a line of crap? Well, sort of....

There's no way that you're going to get the firewire card fitted into your laptop but that doesn't mean that all is lost (although you are going to have to spend some more money :{ ).

Remember that for email filesize is far more important than image quality. One of the selling points of the 530i as that it still supports analogue video and this makes your life a little easier (I'm presuming that your laptop is a fairly recent reasonably spec'd machine). Analogue video via usb is easy and fairly cheap. A straight analogue converter is available from Belkin(expensive) or through one of the catalogue suppliers like Betterbox. Another alternative is the Haupaugge WinTV USB box which is an external TV receiver that also has a video in socket, you should be able to pick one of these up for between 40-50 quid, it will solve your problem and give you the bonus of being able to watch TV on your laptop.

But please, whatever you do - check the spec of your laptop first.

Regards

Perry
Old Dec 26th 2002, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walaj

walaj
Thanks for the reply.It is amilo d series cy23.It has ieee1284 ecp port 2 pc card slots?,2 usb ports.Without being able to use for video clips I`d be better off with just a digital camera because I`VE already got a 4year old sony handycam non digital. jockney
Old Dec 26th 2002, 5:11 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

ieee1284 ecp port =parallel (printer) port

2 pc card slots = PCMCIA slots - used for adding things like a laptop modem, wireless lan or bluetooth card - not the same as PCI card.

Anyway,

acording to the manual I found online, your laptop probablyalready has a firewire port!

If you have the manual check that, else, look at the "firewire" cable you got with the camcorder, and see if you can find a socket to plug it into on the laptop.

>Even a tiny piece of video footage takes up huge memory

yup - 1 minute of "raw" PAL DV from the camcorder will need 216Megbyte (that works out as 12.7 Gig for 60 minutes of tape!)

(although Pinnacle Studio DV version 8 claims they can compress a whole 60 minute DV tape into 150Mbytes of disk...)

Walaj.
Old Dec 27th 2002, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

For what it's worth I used a cheap webcam from Logitech plugged into the Laptop's USB socket. The webcam comes with software which enables 'basic quality' moving image sound clips to be sent as an executable file (.exe) attached to an Email. Those clips have to be shot with the webcam tethered to the laptop. It takes a bit of time to dispatch or download Emails with anything beyond a few seconds of vision stream.

Along with the webcam I have a 'lapel mic' and a $5 pocket sized tripod (webcams aren't designed to sit on top of a laptop)

I also use Netmeeting (downloadable free from Microsoft) to have two way
conversations with similarly equipped friends. All I do is pass on my variable IP number (by say MSN Messenger) and have the other person call my IP number direct from Netmeeting. (Or alternatively have them pass on their IP number for me to call)

One's IP number can be discovered by opening Netmeeting and clicking Help ---> About