Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I suspected we wouldn't win the rugby World Cup

I suspected we wouldn't win the rugby World Cup

Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:24 am
Just Joined

ArchieArchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I suspected we wouldn't win the rugby World Cup

What a terrible performance against Samoa. The first 70 minutes were full of errors (lost lineouts, knock-ons, backline not combining, joining from the side of a ruck).

I'd imagine the other top sides watching that game on telly will be smiling to themselves.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:07 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: I suspected we wouldn't win the rugby World Cup

Originally posted by ArchieArchie
What a terrible performance against Samoa. The first 70 minutes were full of errors (lost lineouts, knock-ons, backline not combining, joining from the side of a ruck).

I'd imagine the other top sides watching that game on telly will be smiling to themselves.
Why is it as soon as an English team do bad all the vultures jump in to have a pick at the bones? Let us see who is standing at the semi finals, then post.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:15 am
WBB

wales will take heart from that shoddy england performance today, no discipline and poor passing.

Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:02 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

maybe it's what they needed ... (he says hopfully). It might get them to raise their game... maybe?.... too hopeful?.

ok ok i know we're not gonna make it but who knows! fingers crossed!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:32 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
maybe it's what they needed ... (he says hopfully). It might get them to raise their game... maybe?.... too hopeful?.

ok ok i know we're not gonna make it but who knows! fingers crossed!

But nice to see a close game?
after loads of loads of loads of one way! I for one enjoyed the game

Plus Ireland! That was another close and enjoyable! Nail biting etc nice to see rugby played not scoring for the sake of records.

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:16 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sandra
But nice to see a close game?
after loads of loads of loads of one way! I for one enjoyed the game

Plus Ireland! That was another close and enjoyable! Nail biting etc nice to see rugby played not scoring for the sake of records.

Cheers
Watched the Ireland game, was great. In my opinion......the best game of the WC so far.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:23 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the first couple of Ireland games in person, not this one Adelaide, Melbourne, expense etc and availability of tickets rules the others out for me!

But one moment of Ireland playing for me against Romania....the crowd cheers as Romania plays a great move!.....agghhhhh Rugby. The best games are not the big score lines! It is the heart of the game that count. I wear my shirt with pride!

Roll on the Aussie game....and whatever the score, the lads will do us proud!

IreLAND.........and where is my shamrock smilie when I need one!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:27 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by PeteY
Watched the Ireland game, was great. In my opinion......the best game of the WC so far.
'ere'ere. even though i saw it by mistake. (forgot to put the clocks back didliah.)
Old Oct 26th 2003, 3:43 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

as Martin Johnson said after the game how patronising everyone is being to the Samoan team. No doubt everybody is so quick to stomp on england that they forget what great opposition this team was. The only people worried after this game will be the south africans who could well lose to them next week and then the kiwis/ozzies who may have to take them on in later stages of the competition. I think they would definately beat the ozzies and possibly the kiwis and south africans as well.

They were always going to be tough and all credit to England for winning two games against class opposition like south africa and samoa. england have effectively lined up an easy route to the final with no doubt usual easy win against crumbly wales in quarters, kick frances asses in semis and then most likely kiwi or south africa final. England look more likely to win the cup every game.

The other funny thing in UK is the laughs everybody is having here hearing about the oz, kiwi and sa press desperate to undermine england world cup victory. In todays Times they were commenting saying Ozzies are the worst losers in the world and the most hypocritical given they accuse poms of whinging whilst being the worst examples of the genre. The ozzies, kiwis and south africans do not seem to know what objectivity is. Long may they complain its great.

One final point worth mentioning. Apparently Samoan rugby is in real trouble because kiwis in particular claim their players. Oz and kiwiland apparently treat samoa as a feeder country for their national teams and have not even have the courtesy to play a test in Samoa at any time. Typical aussies in my view just out for what they can get without giving anything back - just look at the Namibia game what a disgrace for world rugby - cannot somebody tell the aussies about humility for all our sakes.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 3:53 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dugongs
- just look at the Namibia game what a disgrace for world rugby -
I heard the result.....but what happened to make it a disgrace? I did'nt see it.

I do agree the Samoans had an excellent game....but i do also think England had a bad one. As was pointed out earlier in this thread there were lots of dropped passes, cocked up kicks etc.

And the amount of turnovers against England!! Blimey!! It was bad in the SA game, and bad in this one. England n jsut could'nt keep a hold on the ball. I am not trying to detract from how well the Samoans played....but England certainly are'nt on op f thier game at the moment.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:32 pm
WBB

england have effectively lined up an easy route to the final with no doubt usual easy win against crumbly wales in quarters

dont count your chickens

Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:25 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they [Samoa] would definately beat the ozzies and possibly the kiwis and south africans as well.
You're dreaming. Cuckoo land.... maybe South Africa, but if they beat Aus or NZ I'll eat my mousepad....

england have effectively lined up an easy route to the final with no doubt usual easy win against crumbly wales in quarters, kick frances asses in semis and then most likely kiwi or south africa final. England look more likely to win the cup every game.
ha, it's this kind of arrogance which cost NZ world cup final place last time. There is no easy route to the final.... and I very much doubt England are thinking like that, especially after today's game. You're dreaming again....

The ozzies, kiwis and south africans do not seem to know what objectivity is.
a wild generalisation, based on the media. And the UK media know what objectivity is? If they did would recognise the England winning this world cup is not a sure thing, and would at least recognise that there are other teams in the world that can play rugby... eg Samoa. England are strong and are in contention, but so are Aus, SA, NZ, and France.

Apparently Samoan rugby is in real trouble because kiwis in particular claim their players. Oz and kiwiland apparently treat samoa as a feeder country for their national teams and have not even have the courtesy to play a test in Samoa at any time.
This is true, but at the same time the vast majority of Samoans 'poached' by NZ are born and bred in NZ. Auckland is the largest polynesian city in the world, and there's probably more Samoans in NZ than in Samoa. I agree NZ should do more for pacific island rugby, and surveys in NZ show the public agree. The NZ rugby union do not unfortunately.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I suspected we wouldn't win the rugby World Cup

Originally posted by ArchieArchie

The top sides have yet to be seriously tested of course. The AB's had similar handling errors, knock ons, lack of continuity etc against 'mighty' Tonga who were no match for them.
Remember that in '91 the Wallabies had very similar games that they only just won, the mark of a good team not a struggling one. The Antipodeans on this board will jump all over this performance by England but winners are grinners. I don't have any doubts that England, France, NZ and Australia could win the Cup (sorry Welshboy) and it is still way too early to be making predictions as to who will lift Bill. Enjoy the games.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

What a total load of crap !!!

Oh yes - lets treat Namibia like a charity case and give them some easy points so that they will think they are better than they really are - that will really help them !!! Not.

This is professional sport - you win - and win as big as you can - and if you cannot cope with that - then get out of the game.

~Sean

One final point worth mentioning. Apparently Samoan rugby is in real trouble because kiwis in particular claim their players. Oz and kiwiland apparently treat samoa as a feeder country for their national teams and have not even have the courtesy to play a test in Samoa at any time. Typical aussies in my view just out for what they can get without giving anything back - just look at the Namibia game what a disgrace for world rugby - cannot somebody tell the aussies about humility for all our sakes.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are presuming that South Africa will beat Samoa - I wouldn't like to bet on that - and South Africa have been very ordinary for a number of years and have NO chance to get to the final.

Australia do not need to whinge - cause they win nearly all the time - lets not forget that. There is no comparison between Australian and English sport - None.
One is Fantastic and the other is Putrid.

~Sean

as Martin Johnson said after the game how patronising everyone is being to the Samoan team. No doubt everybody is so quick to stomp on england that they forget what great opposition this team was. The only people worried after this game will be the south africans who could well lose to them next week and then the kiwis/ozzies who may have to take them on in later stages of the competition. I think they would definately beat the ozzies and possibly the kiwis and south africans as well.

They were always going to be tough and all credit to England for winning two games against class opposition like south africa and samoa. england have effectively lined up an easy route to the final with no doubt usual easy win against crumbly wales in quarters, kick frances asses in semis and then most likely kiwi or south africa final. England look more likely to win the cup every game.

The other funny thing in UK is the laughs everybody is having here hearing about the oz, kiwi and sa press desperate to undermine england world cup victory. In todays Times they were commenting saying Ozzies are the worst losers in the world and the most hypocritical given they accuse poms of whinging whilst being the worst examples of the genre. The ozzies, kiwis and south africans do not seem to know what objectivity is. Long may they complain its great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.