Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Suspect The Trouble Is About To Start...

I Suspect The Trouble Is About To Start...

Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:33 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default I Suspect The Trouble Is About To Start...

Until now, my in-laws have been "OK" with us moving. Not happy with it, and would rather we weren't but not getting in our way. I suspect this is about to change....

This morning, I was collecting the kids who had been staying overnight with them and thanked them for having them. MIL replied, no problem, we have to take them when we get the chance these days! Then she added, actually, we want to talk to you both about your plans to emigrate! This was said with a very stern voice and face. I asked her if there was a problem and all she would say is that they want to speak to both of us!!

I called Mr Herrchook and he suspects they're either going to tell us not to go, or are going to grill us SS style on why we are going. We're going to do homework big style so we can answer everything they throw at us. We know ourselves that it's the best thing for us all but they're going to take some convincing I think!

BIL was round this afternoon and I asked if they'd spoken to him about it and all he would say is that there's a lot about our move they're not happy with. <SIGH>

Wish us luck, I can see this turning out to be quite a battle knowing my in-laws.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Suspect The Trouble Is About To Start...

Oh Christ!!
Good luck and give as good as you get and at the end of the day its your decision and you can do as you please
Hilary
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:37 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hilary6
Oh Christ!!
Good luck and give as good as you get and at the end of the day its your decision and you can do as you please
Hilary
Thanks Hilary. We'll be ready for them don't worry. I've gone through a thousand possible conversations in my head, everything from them saying they're disowning us, to them saying they want to come too!!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Until now, my in-laws have been "OK" with us moving. Not happy with it, and would rather we weren't but not getting in our way. I suspect this is about to change....

This morning, I was collecting the kids who had been staying overnight with them and thanked them for having them. MIL replied, no problem, we have to take them when we get the chance these days! Then she added, actually, we want to talk to you both about your plans to emigrate! This was said with a very stern voice and face. I asked her if there was a problem and all she would say is that they want to speak to both of us!!

I called Mr Herrchook and he suspects they're either going to tell us not to go, or are going to grill us SS style on why we are going. We're going to do homework big style so we can answer everything they throw at us. We know ourselves that it's the best thing for us all but they're going to take some convincing I think!

BIL was round this afternoon and I asked if they'd spoken to him about it and all he would say is that there's a lot about our move they're not happy with. <SIGH>

Wish us luck, I can see this turning out to be quite a battle knowing my in-laws.
GOOD LUCK

I know how you feel,my parents and in laws both keep avoiding the australia word,and how we could be so cruel to take their grandchildren away.
they will come around in time.
Anyway again good luck!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:38 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh gosh, sounds ominous - lots of luck to you. Maybe they just want to make sure you've weighed up all the pros and cons. Maybe the little ones said something about being unsure about going - guess you won't know til you've had 'the talk'.

They should be proud you've got some get up and go. I'll send you some karma
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:40 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by MJELNC
GOOD LUCK

I know how you feel,my parents and in laws both keep avoiding the australia word,and how we could be so cruel to take their grandchildren away.
they will come around in time.
Anyway again good luck!
It's horrible isn't it. I'm sure I see my Mum with tears in her eyes when she's with my girls these days, and she just won't talk about it. I know she's gutted, but my MIL is a force to be reckoned with, she'll be right up front about how she feels.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

Good Luck.

As far as I see it - you wouldn't be going unless you'd thought long and hard about it and presumably the decision is largely based on you providing a better quality of life for your family. It's no one's decision but yours.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:43 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Kerrygold
Good Luck.

As far as I see it - you wouldn't be going unless you'd thought long and hard about it and presumably the decision is largely based on you providing a better quality of life for your family. It's no one's decision but yours.
I agree 100% but my inlaws are the type who won't be happy until they've interviewed the airline pilot!!!!!!! Will keep you all posted.

Jeez, this was worse than telling my parents I wanted to move out!!!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

It cant be easy for parents when their families are leaving but on the other hand its not a decision you've taken easily.
I think Im at the stage where Im gonna be having 'words' with my family.
Ive tried seeing it from their point of view, now its time for them to see it from our point of view (thats fighting talk)

Like you say they might want to go with you :scared:
Good luck
Hilary
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:52 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

and welcome to the club.

We're sitting here stuck for words!

Here's part of our saga:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324277

We can fully appreciate how you may feel. Lynn is going to telephone her mum as a last ditch attempt, in ooh... about 5 minutes time, heh heh, I'm off out on me bike, she'll be pissed by the time I get back I reckon!

Mums just got back from Hong Kong after visiting Lynns sister for 3 weeks, reckon she'll be in a good mood?? Answers please.

Lynns friend has offered to take and collect the kids from school everyday while we are away and stay for tea now and again so her Mum won't be balls out with our 8 & 5 year olds.

Good luck to you both

Rich & Lynn
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how much power these people have over your life, but if this were me I wouldn't be too worried about it. Making the decision to go and live in a place as far away as Australia is a big thing to do and most put a lot of thought into it. It's not something that you just "do" one day after a few beers.

So for some inward-looking nimrod to turn round and say "you're not to go" is just patronising and rude. Yes, they have a right to be upset, yes they will miss you, yes it's a tough emotional thing to go through.

No, they can't "tell you" not to go. Tell them to broaden their horizons a tad, they might like it.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:05 pm
Mandy & Stu x

stutay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tableland
I don't know how much power these people have over your life, but if this were me I wouldn't be too worried about it. Making the decision to go and live in a place as far away as Australia is a big thing to do and most put a lot of thought into it. It's not something that you just "do" one day after a few beers.

So for some inward-looking nimrod to turn round and say "you're not to go" is just patronising and rude. Yes, they have a right to be upset, yes they will miss you, yes it's a tough emotional thing to go through.

No, they can't "tell you" not to go. Tell them to broaden their horizons a tad, they might like it.
Hi

We agree - like you said its not a decision made in a day - and remember for kids aswell its a great opportunity for them - although we haven't got children my dad would still like us to stay (blimey Im 30 lol) but at the end of the day we want to go and it took me over a year to give my fella an answer about going .

Besides my family have all got there own lives aswell - we dont revolve around each other.

You will be fine - just stick to your guns !
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

We are anticipating the same sort of problems and have already been told by my mother in law that we should drop it.

Their main concerns is in relation to the grand kids and missing them growing up. So what I have done is to buy them DVD player and setup up my computer system to burn DVD’s of the kids directly from my camcorder. We will start it at Christmas so if we do eventually go I can post them DVD’s of the kids every week. Whilst it not the same it should help soften the blow a little.

Good luck and I hope it works but don’t be surprised if you get blamed for the whole thing I know I am already, they will get over it with time but as long as you both are happy with the decision and stick together you will be fine
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rossifumi
and welcome to the club.

We're sitting here stuck for words!

Here's part of our saga:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324277

We can fully appreciate how you may feel. Lynn is going to telephone her mum as a last ditch attempt, in ooh... about 5 minutes time, heh heh, I'm off out on me bike, she'll be pissed by the time I get back I reckon!

Mums just got back from Hong Kong after visiting Lynns sister for 3 weeks, reckon she'll be in a good mood?? Answers please.

Lynns friend has offered to take and collect the kids from school everyday while we are away and stay for tea now and again so her Mum won't be balls out with our 8 & 5 year olds.

Good luck to you both

Rich & Lynn
I didn't go out in the end, felt Lynn needed support while on the phone. Both parties are in full flow!!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:07 pm

Well after their holiday in the Far east for three weeks it appears Lynn's mum has far more pressing tasks to deal with in her life, yep, she has to decorate the house and that is going to take up all her time! I kid you not.
She also doesn't want to have 'to pick up the 'pieces' when she returns to her home and the mess her husband has left? Even he can wash up one knife, one fork, one spoon and one cup everyday.

FFS, hello!! Stuck for words again.

I cannot help but laugh, LOTS, mind you we're on the vino now.

Bye for now, we're on the beer!!! Shallymoo!

Rich & Lynn (motherless!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.