British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   I should have worn my new t-shirt.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/i-should-have-worn-my-new-t-shirt-309849/)

bridiej Jun 22nd 2005 9:03 am

I should have worn my new t-shirt....

...so you could all see me waving on Henman Hill yesterday (we were sat right in front of the camera).

Wimbledon was FANTASTIC, was just a bit miffed though that they moved the Phillipousis game from Tuesday to Monday as had that one down to watch but there you go.

Got to see Roddick warming up with Haas, which just made my day! :D

So, got me thinking about if we do get to Australia what's the deal with the Australian Open? Can you pre-book tickets or is it like Wimbledon - up at the crack of dawn and queue for hours?

amanda76 Jun 22nd 2005 12:12 pm

Re: I should have worn my new t-shirt....

Originally Posted by bridiej
...so you could all see me waving on Henman Hill yesterday (we were sat right in front of the camera).

Wimbledon was FANTASTIC, was just a bit miffed though that they moved the Phillipousis game from Tuesday to Monday as had that one down to watch but there you go.

So, got me thinking about if we do get to Australia what's the deal with the Australian Open? Can you pre-book tickets or is it like Wimbledon - up at the crack of dawn and queue for hours?

got no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but what a shame - in front of the camera!! DOH

AMANDA

walaj Jun 22nd 2005 12:30 pm

ohh we have a star amongst us :D

Apparently a few years back the camera went just on me several times - of course nobody recorded it.

AFAIK Wimbledon is the only one that has the queuing. Maybe you can get ground passes on the day for the Open??

I know with Davis cup you had to buy ticket for the whole event - I arrived mid way through in Sydney and was going to pay that much for 1 days play

For the Open

Was that you first time there?

bridiej Jun 22nd 2005 12:53 pm

Hi Walaj

Thanks for the link. Yes my first time, wanted to go for 20 years!!!!! :)

Phoenixuk2oz Jun 22nd 2005 12:55 pm

Ohh at last...someone famous. Give us your autograph :D

Don't know anything bout tennis except Phillipousis, Delta Goodrum and Paris Hilton :o

I do know though......there's a few fella's on here that wouldn't mind getting up the crack of Dawn :D

Shellfish Jun 23rd 2005 1:19 am

I have been to Wimbledon and The Australian Open. We pre-booked our tickets to the Aussie open but you can rock up on the day and get tickets then too (if you are lucky). If you want tickets to the big games, you have to book a good six months in advance (so I hear). Anyway, they are both great, and you really don't have to be an enormous tennis fan to enjoy either.

MrsDagboy Jun 23rd 2005 1:49 am

Been along time since I went to the Australian Open, but from what I remember it was as Shellfish said - you could prebook (essential for any big matches) or just turn up & take whatever tickets were available.

We got to see a couple of the big name aussies at the time & really enjoyed it, from memory it was the quarter finals.

OzTennis would know the whole story (& how to spell it! :p ).

JayDeee Jun 23rd 2005 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Ohh at last...someone famous. Give us your autograph :D

Don't know anything bout tennis except Phillipousis, Delta Goodrum and Paris Hilton :o

I do know though......there's a few fella's on here that wouldn't mind getting up the crack of Dawn :D

Dont forget Leyton Hewitt and Bec Cartwright, she's over there watching him

Kala

hunser Jun 23rd 2005 7:33 am

Aussie Open tickets go on sale via Ticketmaster and/or Ticketek a fair few months in advance and they let you know when if you're on their mailing list. I was able to get some myself fairly painlessly when I was there 4 years ago. Also had a friend who rocked up on one of the first couple of day's, got a ticket at the gate and got to see both Henman and Rudseski play which he was chuffed with.

Paul

OzTennis Jun 23rd 2005 9:37 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Been along time since I went to the Australian Open, but from what I remember it was as Shellfish said - you could prebook (essential for any big matches) or just turn up & take whatever tickets were available.

We got to see a couple of the big name aussies at the time & really enjoyed it, from memory it was the quarter finals.

OzTennis would know the whole story (& how to spell it! :p ).

Phillippoussis - is that what I'm meant to spell? He is Williamstown's SECOND finest son! :D It's a pity he drew Safin and that his ankle was injured. Hewitt is looking reasonably good but Federer is the one to beat. Look out in the future but not this year for Andy Murray who has come on leaps and bounds since I hit with him a few times!

Shellfish, Hunser etc have it perfectly right about the tickets - Ticketmaster well in advance for the show courts, queue up for ground passes.

My top tip for the Australian Open is to go early in the tournament on a ground pass and to also apply a long way ahead for show courts later in the tournament if you want to see the big matches. If you go on the first Mon or Tues there are top players practising early and playing on outside courts and you can see them (and closer up too). The stars have a habit of getting knocked out as the tournament progresses!

I've had the privilege of playing at Wimbledon, not THE tournament (Mrs OzT played in the junior event) but in a match for Scotland against England. It was just after the tournament so we didn't get to play on centre court (which is only used for the tournament). We used the main changing room, the players and members lounges, had all our meals in the club, had a private tour of the museum and so on. I'm even wearing my Wimbledon tie that I was presented with for its annual airing. Absolute magic!

The time we went to Wimbledon I was able to get prime tickets and spent a great day in the box at the opposite end to the Royal Box seated next to Mr and Mrs Ken Rosewall.

I've played on the Margaret Court arena (show court 1) and show courts 2 and 3 at Melbourne Park - but then again anyone can because for 50 weeks of the year they are hired out to the public. Top Tip #2. If you want to play on a show court at Melbourne Park just ring up (Tel 9286-1244) to make a booking and request a show court. During the day you have a good chance of your request being met (we've got a show court about 5 out of 6 times I've asked). Melbourne Park has an excellent museum now and the picture of all the past champions since the tournament started is well worth seeing and photographing. They also have posters of all the famous acts which have performed in concert at MP.

If anyone is interested I'll post some Wimbledon pics? Here's your starter. It is Kipling's famous verse (no not Mr Kipling with the exceedingly good cakes but Rudyard) which is above the door leading onto centre court. Pretty good advice (but not grammatically correct) - 'if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same'. If you want to see more of the inner sanctum of the AELTC you'll have to ask! :D

OzTennis :)

bridiej Jun 23rd 2005 10:22 am

I got some good pics of Roddick but dont know how to post them.... :confused: :(

bridiej Jun 23rd 2005 10:40 am

2 Attachment(s)
Might have worked out the pic thing now, here goes.....

bridiej Jun 23rd 2005 10:41 am

Might have worked out the pic thing now, here goes.....

Dont think I've done that right as they are massive and as a consequence all blurred... sorry! :(

MrsDagboy Jun 23rd 2005 10:45 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Phillippoussis - is that what I'm meant to spell? He is Williamstown's SECOND finest son!

After you of course! :D

Bridie, dunno whats wrong with them, they look better when they are small? :confused:

OzTennis Jun 23rd 2005 10:46 am

I got some good pics of Roddick but dont know how to post them.... :confused: :(

Given that you have downloaded digital photos onto your computer and that they are probably in a suitable format, most likely jpeg, when posting go down to Manage Attachments, click on Browse and find your photo, double click on it then click on Upload Attachment. This will take you back to your message and proceed as normal.

OzTennis :)