Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I remember when....

I remember when....

Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default I remember when....

After over a year in Oz I feel really settled and am starting increasingly to forget about things and differences from 'home.

I remember when...

Chips were just chips, you didn't have to call them hot chips,

When kids went for a doughnut they were after a sugary,fattening snack

Compo was a tedious character on an out of date sit'com'

Rain was that light misty drizzly stuff

A hot summer's day meant it was nearly 25C

You would intentionally avoid the weirdo who was in the supermarket with no shoes on

You could get home from the week's shopping having used only five carrier bags

Going for a swim in the sea was just done by those strange people on New Year's Day covered in lard

A utiility was something you kept the washing machine in
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

A sweetie was just that, not a lollie - that's a thing with a stick up its nether regions.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

You didn't have to remember to pay the pool man or the lawnmower man or take the dog to the hydrobath beauty parlour
(not that I do, I hasten to add - my benefits don't cover that -YET!!)
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:39 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

negative equity was a bad thing

the last time you saw a cockroach you sent a video to Watchdog to get a refund on your holiday

an investment property was the s****y house you lived in, not the string of units you owned

you were scared of spiders

Kent was a county, not someone's first name
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve Irwin was some far away Godlike Icon

You watched the weather forecast filled with hope and anticipation instead of dread
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Woolworths was the place you bought "ladybird" kids clothes from - not your food
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:48 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I remember when...I was just Pete.

NOT:

"This is Pete the pom"
or
"This is Pete, hes a pom"
or
"This is Pete, he's from the motherland you know".

I want to be Pete again.....

(its the father in law. He knows everyone in town and introduces me as Pete the pom!.....he is a Ulysses club member (motorbike thing for wrinklies), and took me along to one of his club meets. He stood up, and said to the 50 odd people in the room, i'd like to introduce Pete, then he sincerely said "he's a pom.....but don't worry he's O.K!).
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Lindsay and Kim were girls not men:scared:
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:00 am
Karma Comedian

You didn't know who John Howard was let alone Mark Latham (or Simon Crean)

You had no savings and so had no savings account

'How you travelling?' was a question about transport

Banks paid you for giving money to them

Shopping centres were deserted on a hot day

'Morning Tea' sounded very posh

You didn't really know what a creek was

Kindergarten was something to do with a movie with Arnie
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:04 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I remember when i used to get the beer with the shopping, and not have enough room in the trolley for the food. (student days...)

Now i have to go to a bottleshop!