Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I reallllly need your help (Brisbane Suburb question)

I reallllly need your help (Brisbane Suburb question)

Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:38 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb I reallllly need your help (Brisbane Suburb question)

Hi folks,

I need your help! I would like to know what burb your living in and why this appeals to you.

I am in Bayside and love the whole lifestyle thing but I work in Nathan. Trouble is house prices here are just ridiculous and I am struggling to find a cheap and cheerful house for me and the family for a decent price.

So please help me out by giving me some options. Where do you stay and why?

Really appreciate it...

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:53 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I reallllly need your help (Brisbane Suburb question)

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks,

I need your help! I would like to know what burb your living in and why this appeals to you.

I am in Bayside and love the whole lifestyle thing but I work in Nathan. Trouble is house prices here are just ridiculous and I am struggling to find a cheap and cheerful house for me and the family for a decent price.

So please help me out by giving me some options. Where do you stay and why?

Really appreciate it...

Cheers

Ginny
We are on the Logan/Beadesert border, paid $315K a year ago for 3 and a bit acres and a 2 bedroom modest (but solid) house.

45 minutes drive to the CBD in the dead of the night or 20 minutes drive to Loganlea station and then 35 on the express from there.

It's nice, it's rural, there's plenty of space and they will have to bomb me out of it to get me to leave.

If you are after mocha-choca-latte-frappe-whatever coffee houses within in walking distance and 'quality shopping' (whatever that is, I'm a bloke!) then you may, however, be disappointed.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:57 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
We are on the Logan/Beadesert border, paid $315K a year ago for 3 and a bit acres and a 2 bedroom modest (but solid) house.

45 minutes drive to the CBD in the dead of the night or 20 minutes drive to Loganlea station and then 35 on the express from there.

It's nice, it's rural, there's plenty of space and they will have to bomb me out of it to get me to leave.

If you are after mocha-choca-latte-frappe-whatever coffee houses within in walking distance and 'quality shopping' (whatever that is, I'm a bloke!) then you may, however, be disappointed.
Thanks a million. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Really appreciate it.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:03 am

Thanks a million. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Really appreciate it.

Cheers

Ginny
No worries Ginny, I would also recommend looking around Buccan and the outskirts of Beenleigh if you'd like a rural outlook. Wolfdene is one nice area that springs to mind.

We thought we'd get sick of the commute to the CBD (I am full-time, the wife part-time) but the advantages outweigh the extra time for us.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:11 am
Ok this isn't so bad

No worries Ginny, I would also recommend looking around Buccan and the outskirts of Beenleigh if you'd like a rural outlook. Wolfdene is one nice area that springs to mind.

We thought we'd get sick of the commute to the CBD (I am full-time, the wife part-time) but the advantages outweigh the extra time for us.
I need to be able to get to Nathan and hubby is at the Wesley. Already has to get two trains so being a bit away isn't really much more of a hassle.

Thanks

Ginny
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:18 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Have you any thoughts about North of Beenleigh, say around Tanah Merah/Shailer Park etc? Also about Mount Warren Park?

Sorry to be a bother but could really do with the help.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have you any thoughts about North of Beenleigh, say around Tanah Merah/Shailer Park etc? Also about Mount Warren Park?

Cheers

Ginny
Andrew63 is in Tanah Merah and I seem to remember he's done a few posts about it - might be worth a search, he's been there a while?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:43 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Andrew63 is in Tanah Merah and I seem to remember he's done a few posts about it - might be worth a search, he's been there a while?
Hi Polly,

Thanks for that. I have been reading some of the old posts about the area. Some really good information.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:45 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Ginny
Hey

We are in Shailer Park. We moved from a Redland Bay rental into our own place. I work in Morningside and OH @ Greenslopes.

The commute is a lot better for us from Shailer Park because it's only 2 mins from the freeway. Obviously theres plenty of retail therapy available if thats on your list of requirements, with the Hyperdome being close by, but it is also fairly quiet and has some lovely park areas.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:48 pm

Cheers

Ginny
We looked at a fair few places around Tanah Merah and Shailer Park, we preferred Shailer Park for atmosphere but most blocks were still smaller than we were after and every time we did a weekend drive-by at night there seemed to be a huge party going on somewhere.

Of course there is a vast range of properties around any given area but I wouldn't trade our 'rural' feel for something that's more 'burby.

I don't think we could afford to live anywhere akin to where we do in the UK (and I certainly would do the things we do here there ... ride-on mowing, chainsawing fallen trees, keeping chickens, etc) and that helps with feeling more 'Australian' I guess.

We also checked-out places like Ormeau, Bethania and Edens Landing (nasty...) but the convenience of being on a train line (great though it is) just didn't swing it for us.

Wouldn't swap for the world.

Matt
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You could try Forest Lake. When I looked there a few months ago you could get a nice 4 bed 2 bath for $400,000 (no pool though). It looks like a nice area and is pretty close to the city. I think the schools are pretty good too. The only downside to this area is that the houses are pretty close together.
From the looks of it it's not far from Nathan.

You could also try Acacia Ridge. I saw a report on the news not long ago that said that area was growing fast because of the cheaper housing. Not sure how nice it is though. I do know they have an ice hockey rink there so we'd be sure to visit

Have you tried looking in Capalaba? It's the cheapest of the Bayside suburbs and there are some nice area. I know it's only about a 30-35 minute drive from our house to the ice rink in Acacia Ridge. So it should only be a 30 minute drive to Nathan.

There's always Gympie
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:50 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hey

We are in Shailer Park. We moved from a Redland Bay rental into our own place. I work in Morningside and OH @ Greenslopes.

The commute is a lot better for us from Shailer Park because it's only 2 mins from the freeway. Obviously theres plenty of retail therapy available if thats on your list of requirements, with the Hyperdome being close by, but it is also fairly quiet and has some lovely park areas.
Thanks very much for that. Is the Freeway not a bit busy or is it flowing traffic like the rest of the places.

Thanks

Ginny

We looked at a fair few places around Tanah Merah and Shailer Park, we preferred Shailer Park for atmosphere but most blocks were still smaller than we were after and every time we did a weekend drive-by at night there seemed to be a huge party going on somewhere.

Of course there is a vast range of properties around any given area but I wouldn't trade our 'rural' feel for something that's more 'burby.

I don't think we could afford to live anywhere akin to where we do in the UK (and I certainly would do the things we do here there ... ride-on mowing, chainsawing fallen trees, keeping chickens, etc) and that helps with feeling more 'Australian' I guess.

We also checked-out places like Ormeau, Bethania and Edens Landing (nasty...) but the convenience of being on a train line (great though it is) just didn't swing it for us.

Wouldn't swap for the world.

Matt
Once again thanks for the information. That's exactly what I've been looking for. Did see some properties in Edens Landing that looked quite cheap but thought there was a catch. It was a bit like that on Redbank area. Seemed cheap enough but when we drove through knew it wasn't for us.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:53 am
Ok this isn't so bad

At this rate Gympie's looking like the best option Thanks for the info. Still keeping our eye out around the area but just thought we'd better start looking further afield as well.

Will need to catch up but have been a bit flat out with work (and looking for houses)/.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

At this rate Gympie's looking like the best option Thanks for the info. Still keeping our eye out around the area but just thought we'd better start looking further afield as well.

Will need to catch up but have been a bit flat out with work (and looking for houses)/.

Cheers

Ginny
Don't be knocking Gympie!!!! When you've got nowhere to pitch your tent you'll soon come round to the idea!!!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:19 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Don't be knocking Gympie!!!! When you've got nowhere to pitch your tent you'll soon come round to the idea!!!
Definately not knocking Gympie. Will be there before you know it! Was about around at yours last night with a couple of bottles! Between the house hunting and everything else Going nuts

Back to work for me!

Cheers

Ginny x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.