I Quit

Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:16 pm
maggy

Default I Quit

Started new job on monday and quit on monday.

Hi folks was so excited went for first interview on friday for job as child care worker in day centre.

Interview lasted 5 mins and was asked to start on Mon.

Brilliant I thought ( what a joke )

I arrived Mon 9am and was introduced to kids aged 6 months to six years as their new teacher.

( I am not a teacher )

Then left to get on with job.

No induction, not shown copy of policies and procedures, given no information about child protection procedures.

No information about kids back ground.

No introduction to other staff.

My references were not even checked.

AND NO POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES REQUESTED.

This is very very scary.

I had access to vulnerable young children.

I was the only qualified care worker in the centre and was working alongside another 2 unqualified workers aged 16 and 17.

Whom spent the entire day sitting in the garden txting their mates on mobile phones.

I was basically left in charge of 30 kids.

To my knowledge the manager did not have any formal qualifications.

To my horror the kids toilets are mixed. 5 toilets in a row no cubicles for privacy.

To gain access to cloak room you have to walk through toilets.

There I was changing a babies nappy with a wee boy having a widdle and a father chatting away to me as his son went to collect his coat.

Maybe i am being a little picky here but does this woman have no knowledge of child protection prcedures.

How on earth does she know that these mothers, fathers collecting children do not have convictions regarding sexual abuse.

How does she know that I am not a paedophile.

Its not just men that commit sexual offences and I should know as I worked with kids in the UK that had been abused my males and females.

I felt I had no other choice than to quit this job as I did not want to be associated with an organisation that did not put the welfare of its children as a priority.

I am not sure of the inspection procedure from social work dept in oz but I certainly know that in Uk if you work for an establishment that takes care of children/elderly/disabled etc then you have regular inspections announced and unannounced.

I am now back out there looking for another job and seriously thinking about starting out on my own.

The question now is?

Do I report this organisation to the Social Work Dept

or

is this common practice in Perth

I really dont know.

What I do know is that I really do care for the welfare of children and if I can make a difference then I am bloody well sure I will try my best to do so

Thanks for listening to my ranting

Mags

Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:20 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jesus!

As a mother, I was horrified to read that, as Im sure all other parents will be. Maggy, you have to report this place to somewhere...I dont know who! But could you live with it on your conscience if something happened and you could have had the power to change it by making one simple phone call. I have Charlotte who is 5 and 10 week old Toby and I would be horrified to think that a place was all kosher when in fact it was anything but! Those poor children! I so dont blame you for quitting...how did they react when you left?

Lucy
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear God,i couldn't believe what i was reading.I'm a qualified teacher and as such i am horrified.My take on it is if you don't report them and you read in a few months time that something awful has happened you will go through hell.Do the right thing and report the sad money grabbing idiots.
I know they say Wa is behind by 10 yrs-but this cannot be regular practice :scared:
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:29 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Report them, not sure who you would call in Oz but over here you would direct your concerns to social services. Better luck with the next job or setting up on your own.

Sarah
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:32 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

OMG, That awfull, I'd report them if it were me.

Good luck, maybe setting up on your own is a good plan, i'll send my kids to you (well would do if I had any!) if the rest of them in Perth are like that one.

Kala
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:37 pm
maggy

Hi Lucy

Thanks for your support makes me feel i did the right thing.

I basically walked out in disgust did not say i quit but told the other 2 girls that i did not think i would be back.

Pretty shameful looking back as I should really have spoke my mind instead of being a coward and just keeping my thoughts to myself.

Thats why I am now in a dilemma and really feel i ought to try and do somthing about the situation.

NO I KNOW I SHOULD DO SOMETHING.

I think I was just so shocked as I have never came across this thing before as in Scotland you were screened and references were checked.

I feel pretty shitty that i never really gave what for to the manager.

Next time ( I hope there is not a next time ) but if there is then I dont think I will be able to keep my big mouth shut.

I feel really passionate about kids and their welfare and have not slept properly with this on my mind since monday.

This sounds really pathetic but I cannot help but feel I have let my family down by quitting when we need the money.

Just cant work for an establishment when I do not respect their practice.

Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:40 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Iwould report them,i wouldnt take second chances with my kids or others.
Too much goes on these days not to & if anything did come about could you turn a blind eye?
Good luck for your next job & hope you do decide to set up on your own!!
Donna.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:41 pm
maggy

Thanks to everyone

think i know i have to report this establishment

mags

Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Had you stayed and something happened you would never forgive yourself. Leaving and saying nothing then something happening ditto.

Do all those parents a favour and report. But what the hell were those parents doing leaving their children somewhere like that
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Report them as soon as you can.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:49 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by maggy
Thanks to everyone

think i know i have to report this establishment

mags
Mags,

Found a web site for you, It in part of the WA government web site all about child care

http://www.fcs.wa.gov.au/_content/ch...care/magazine/

Good luck
Kala
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:01 pm
maggy

Originally posted by kala
Mags,

Found a web site for you, It in part of the WA government web site all about child care

http://www.fcs.wa.gov.au/_content/ch...care/magazine/

Good luck
Kala
Cheers Kala away to look at it now.

You know what also shocked me and I hope to god im wrong here but the young girl working with me said that she was going to do her diploma in child care and it would only take her 1 year from scratch to complete.

Someone please tell me this is wrong.

I know that I had to do my National certificate in Social Care 2 years training and that included 1 year placement in residential settings ie child care, elderly, disabled.

A further 1 year training studying legislation, psychology ( iv spelt that wrong hahahah ) sociology etc etc and a placement working within social work dept children and families.

THIS IS VERY SCARY.

Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:03 pm
maggy

You know what also shocked me and I hope to god im wrong here but the young girl working with me said that she was going to do her diploma in child care and it would only take her 1 year from scratch to complete.

I know that I had to do my National certificate in Social Care 2 years training and that included 1 year placement in residential settings ie child care, elderly, disabled.

A further 1 year training studying legislation, psychology ( iv spelt that wrong hahahah ) sociology etc etc and a placement working within social work dept children and families.

THIS IS VERY SCARY.
The further training which took another year was for my Higher national certificate sorry for any confusion

Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:06 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

THIS IS VERY SCARY.
This is the web site that link came from, it is under the looking after kids section.

Really hope you can kick some WA government butt for this

http://www.fcs.wa.gov.au/

Kala
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:16 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

With you on this one Maggy.

Find out what you need to start on your own and you'll be swamped with parents who do care - you might not get any holidays though....but you'll sleep well at night!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

soupdragon is an unknown quantity at this point

u go girl! Sounds like a dump 2 me! Ye start ur own!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.