Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I need a webpage done

Wikiposts

I need a webpage done

Old May 28th 2004, 1:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Yeah rite, produce a website and upload it and wait !!! Kinda bending the truth.

Give me your web address , i will check its alexa rating and how well its ranked for you !

You pay peanuts you get monkeys, and the views expressed in the previos reply were bourne of the fact Joanne didnt explain initially she wasnt selling online
Well, it is true that google finds your site eventually right?
But you can submit it yourself too. (without paying).
And of course it all depends on the words you put in there somewhere (meta somethings???)

The website I was talking about was http://home.planet.nl/~wijnb086/
If you type in 'Discover Australia in google, it comes out on the second page at the top!

And typing it into the dutch version of google (www.google.nl), takes you to place number 7
( I didn't make it btw, my husband the web designer did (coming to Perth in July btw Joanne . Just kidding!)
I'm sure you've already plenty of pm's offering?!
Old May 28th 2004, 2:18 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Well, it is true that google finds your site eventually right?
But you can submit it yourself too. (without paying).
And of course it all depends on the words you put in there somewhere (meta somethings???)

The website I was talking about was http://home.planet.nl/~wijnb086/
If you type in 'Discover Australia in google, it comes out on the second page at the top!

And typing it into the dutch version of google (www.google.nl), takes you to place number 7
( I didn't make it btw, my husband the web designer did (coming to Perth in July btw Joanne . Just kidding!)
I'm sure you've already plenty of pm's offering?!

Hi,

I already looked and yes as i said <miles back , DMOZ is the most important search engine to submit to, its also FREE and powers most of the search behind Google

Amongst others i mentioned in the list are also free
Old May 28th 2004, 2:32 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about all this reminds me I have to change our address everywhere.
The home.planet one comes from our Isp, but because we're moving, we're moving it.
It's already up at www.discoveraustralia.tk (webspace from yahoo).
I better go submit that one everywhere! Not that it's important for us, but it's fun!
And I have to tell all those australia starting pages we're on, to change the link!!
Old May 28th 2004, 8:57 am
MSB
Forum Regular

MSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default website design

Hi Joanne, some interesting comments made on this post! Not sure some of them particularly help you but that's the risk in posting! I could possibly help with your web project depending on your needs. I am moving to Perth this summer having just built a multimedia dept in a uk agency for the last 6 yrs. Having been a successful designer for 15 yrs I feel I have quite a lot of knowledge about design. I have built and designed websites for the RNLI, The British Army, Barclaycard etc etc. I am looking to set up in Perth and am currently building 2 sites for local businesses here in Dorset in my spare time. We have our Visas but are waiting to sell our house so I have some spare time available at the mo. If you want to PM me your ideas/thoughts then I will be happy to give you some ideas on cost and some assistance in looking at marketing ideas etc. I have contacts in both UK,AUS and the US regarding domain registration and hosting and have lots of knowledge regarding domains,DNS hosting, bandwidth reqs, search engines (keywords meta tags etc) e-marketing, email marketing, etc etc.

If you want references I can give you several

Mart
Old May 28th 2004, 10:25 am
ABCDiamond

One of my webs sites has never been submitted to any search engine, mainly because I never really finished it, but it currently comes 4th place in a google search in Australia, when people look for the two main words of the product.

Its because of the Meta words, as Simone said.

Old May 28th 2004, 10:33 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
One of my webs sites has never been submitted to any search engine, mainly because I never really finished it, but it currently comes 4th place in a google search in Australia, when people look for the two main words of the product.

Its because of the Meta words, as Simone said.
You're lucky then, as Google, Altavista, ia_archiver and Yahoo do not pay heed to meta keywords.

Google uses a pattern matching algorithm that has nothing to do with meta keywords.

Do a Google search for "origin midi". Without even trying, I'm first on the list.

It's all pattern matching.

Still ,what would I know?
Old May 28th 2004, 10:46 am
o_0

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Well needless to say , some people really do think they know it all.

Quite worrying, bearing in mind its a forum to share views not force your opinion down peoples throats.
*shrug* So far you've said a lot without proving why. At least I've tried to back up what I know with reasons.

Wot a crock of absolute fuqn codwallop !!!!

Search engines will not rank you unless you submit your search engine, ffs man have you not learnt ANYTHING !

$130 dollars is the offer netrigsty offer for 2 years + free hosting ya FUQWIT !! try doing some research before ya start
Prove it. Go on. Prove it that blowing money on SEO's will make your Google rank higher. Want me to link you to Google's page that more or less dismisses that theory? As for Alexa's rank, OMFG, who cares about Alexa? Most people are trying to remove Alexa's tracking cookies from their computers.

Google is the only one that counts.

.com.au are actually a very vital and significant domain to purchase, and i wont explain but im sure a quick search on the net will suffice , !
I searched and found no reason other than it's the commerical TLD for Australia.

Re: not requiring a .com.au name if you are in Australia,
If you wish to sell goods via a website, within australia, you are required to do so, via .com.au domain name, that im pretty sure about, but would apologise profusely if im incorrect
If that was law, it'd be challenged and overturned in a heartbeat. Quite a few Australian based companies just go with .com
Advice:

Try reading the nature of the enquiry from the beginning rather than jumping in , this lady wants a cheap website, produced and hosted.
For which I gave advice.
Many millions of ppl, some who own .ORG names think producing a website and chucking it on the web, will get you noticed ! Some even do classy scripts, and awesome flash presentations, but alas their site sits at the bottom of the PILE gathering moss like a rotten egg !
I get noticed without even trying. I know the way search engine spiders work.
<owns 19 websites at present>
Name them; I'll be only too happy to run whois queries on them.
Wavsworld.com, which i owned and sold some 18 months ago, was ranked number 1 on every search engine worldwide. We had Hits approaching 2 million per month, with a bandwidth of 200gb per month !!!
According to a whois, wavsworld.com was created in December 2003 and has been parked at a webhotel since that date. Did you spell it right?
If you meant wavesworld.com, then that one is in the US and has been owned by the same guy for 4 years. I emailed him and asked him.

Sorry, Timber Floor au, I call BS on nearly everything you've written here. If you are right, I'll say sorry. If not, then oh well.
Old May 28th 2004, 10:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ulujain
You're lucky then, as Google, Altavista, ia_archiver and Yahoo do not pay heed to meta keywords.

Google uses a pattern matching algorithm that has nothing to do with meta keywords.

Do a Google search for "origin midi". Without even trying, I'm first on the list.

It's all pattern matching.

Still ,what would I know?
I'm the first to admit that I only know the basics of all this, but what is "Pattern Matching" ? I thought it was something to do with what my wife chooses to wear each day !

Old May 28th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Grief guys this is mind blowing isnt it, please dont all fall out not over websites promise i will sit with hubby the brickie this weekend and will have aloo through everything. Its all very interesting and i want to say a really big thankyou again to you all for putting in your time to answer my question i am very grateful. Hey when i have a site up and running i will have to put a bit saying " and a big thankyou to all the guys on expats
" what do you think LOL.
Joanne
Old May 28th 2004, 3:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jopaulss
Grief guys this is mind blowing isnt it, please dont all fall out not over websites promise i will sit with hubby the brickie this weekend and will have aloo through everything. Its all very interesting and i want to say a really big thankyou again to you all for putting in your time to answer my question i am very grateful. Hey when i have a site up and running i will have to put a bit saying " and a big thankyou to all the guys on expats
" what do you think LOL.
Joanne
It is all very interesting, isn't it And lot's more to learn about.

Old May 28th 2004, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Old May 28th 2004, 4:59 pm
o_0

I've said my peace re: all this. Time for the next discourse.
Old May 28th 2004, 6:17 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jopaulss
WOW!!!!!!
this is mad. a big fight !
the lass just wants help. so settle down now.
i created a wee site for myself. no big deal, just a site about a fishing club. i got some free web space with my isp. shoved on the web,submitted to a few free subbies and hey presto!!!
most search engines pick it up, i think. but im not fussed. i get loads of feedback from other anglers by email.
thats all i wanted from it. took me ages to build it though and i tinker most nights with it. well i did till i moved here.
the problem now is. if i want to tinker with it from here, its gonna cost me. cos i dont get free web space with bigpond.
any help on this would be great. ive managed to work out that i will need to change my url. but hey life a bitch.
Old May 28th 2004, 6:23 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
*shrug* So far you've said a lot without proving why. At least I've tried to back up what I know with reasons.

Prove it. Go on. Prove it that blowing money on SEO's will make your Google rank higher. Want me to link you to Google's page that more or less dismisses that theory? As for Alexa's rank, OMFG, who cares about Alexa? Most people are trying to remove Alexa's tracking cookies from their computers.

Google is the only one that counts.

I searched and found no reason other than it's the commerical TLD for Australia.

If that was law, it'd be challenged and overturned in a heartbeat. Quite a few Australian based companies just go with .com

For which I gave advice.

I get noticed without even trying. I know the way search engine spiders work.

Name them; I'll be only too happy to run whois queries on them.

According to a whois, wavsworld.com was created in December 2003 and has been parked at a webhotel since that date. Did you spell it right?
If you meant wavesworld.com, then that one is in the US and has been owned by the same guy for 4 years. I emailed him and asked him.

Sorry, Timber Floor au, I call BS on nearly everything you've written here. If you are right, I'll say sorry. If not, then oh well.

I never mentioned SEOS, or submitting via them, i disagree with the practice.

I mentioned submitting URLS to SEARCH ENGINES

Quite a fundamental difference.

And i meant as i type WAVSWORLD !! check the spelling
Old May 28th 2004, 6:28 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

oops i forgot to mention. my fishing club name is Burncrooks, but it will only bore u to death.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.