Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I need a phone in my rental

Wikiposts

I need a phone in my rental

Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:59 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a phone in my rental

Originally Posted by biggy
nope thats what I thought too. I got quotes of loads of provifers...and a few of them also said it would be between $100 and $200 they said that it wasnt them....Telstra charge them to get the lines changed etc...and as telstra own most of them...they can do what they want...u can chat online to a rep via bigpond website
thanx pal, ill do that now
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
We got the good news today that we have been approved for the rental we applied for last week.

We need to get a phone provider sorted ASAP for normal calls and an internet connection, we get the keys on Friday and want to be online Monday if not sooner.

Should we go with Telstra? They get a bad rap from everyone but is it deserved? What are the other (Better,cheaper) Options?

Thanks all.
I've heard iPrimus and AAPT are really good.

I, of course, have tied myself up with a lengthy Tel$tra contract, and been stuffed in the first few months, by going over my download limit. Get UNLIMITED access with the company you use. Listening to the radio via the internet really cost us! :scared:
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:57 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was looking to sign up for Broadband in January I asked all my Aussie friends for their opinions, chased round every website and put the spreadsheet below together which may provide some other options (sorry for poor quality, had to save it as a JPG and reduce size to be able to attach it, if anyone wants a copy of the Excel version let me know). I telephoned each of the ISP's to verify I had the correct details.

Bear in mind special offers are always changing so it's worth checking them out, but gives you an indication of what's available.
Attached Thumbnails I need a phone in my rental-isps.jpg  
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:25 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

Thanks for the help so far. This has got me thinking!!!

We have signed a 9 month lease on our rental and are hoping our house will be built by then, if not, no problem we just extend the lease on a monthly/weekly basis and sit it out in our rental.

If our house is built and we are ready to move out in 9 months will Telstra/Optus etc allow us to move our phone number and contract to our new house? ie the remaining 3 months on a 12 month telephone contract?

What are the possible outcomes of this scenario?

And I thought getting the visa was the stressful part.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:31 pm
The Jones Family

stefdeanjones is an unknown quantity at this point

We just signed up to Telstra as it seemed the quickest option. They have given us 1 month free dial up until new pc arrivers from UK. Then 3 months free broadband after that.

To transfer will cost us $189 so they kind of get the first months free back. But, it was quick and easy and all done over the phone.

Having problems with Hotmail and secure sites but may have something to do with Norton Antivirus software on laptop.

HTH
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:45 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
Thanks for the help so far. This has got me thinking!!!

We have signed a 9 month lease on our rental and are hoping our house will be built by then, if not, no problem we just extend the lease on a monthly/weekly basis and sit it out in our rental.

If our house is built and we are ready to move out in 9 months will Telstra/Optus etc allow us to move our phone number and contract to our new house? ie the remaining 3 months on a 12 month telephone contract?

What are the possible outcomes of this scenario?

And I thought getting the visa was the stressful part.
optus let u carry it to new addy dunno bout telstra
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:05 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stefdeanjones
We just signed up to Telstra as it seemed the quickest option. They have given us 1 month free dial up until new pc arrivers from UK. Then 3 months free broadband after that.

To transfer will cost us $189 so they kind of get the first months free back. But, it was quick and easy and all done over the phone.

Having problems with Hotmail and secure sites but may have something to do with Norton Antivirus software on laptop.

HTH
I went through a month of hardly being able to connect to any websites without clicking refresh half a dozen times with Telstra and having email so erratic it was a joke, when I rang to complain they simply shrugged their shoulders and said there were a few known problems which their engineers were working on, no chance of a refund or any free time to make up for being effectively off line.

Hence why I ditched them at the first opportunity.

As far as I understood it if you move after 9 months you can keep Telstra but they will charge you a new connection fee at your new house regardles of whether you have been a subscriber with them or not.