Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Need a High Interest Account in Oz for House sale proceeds

I Need a High Interest Account in Oz for House sale proceeds

Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

minimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura about
Default I Need a High Interest Account in Oz for House sale proceeds

Hi,

I am currently in the UK, house sale is progressing and we hope to move out in Nov.

Does anyone know of a high interest account that I can set up in Oz to receive the cash from my house sale in the UK. I see that Commonwealth bank has a "Cash Investment Account" which pays 5% over A$250k, but I can get that here on £1 !!

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:44 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Need a High Interest Account in Oz for House sale proceeds

Originally Posted by minimal
Hi,

I am currently in the UK, house sale is progressing and we hope to move out in Nov.

Does anyone know of a high interest account that I can set up in Oz to receive the cash from my house sale in the UK. I see that Commonwealth bank has a "Cash Investment Account" which pays 5% over A$250k, but I can get that here on £1 !!

Cheers
We're currently in the same situation as you. We're investigating HSBC - thay have a 6.2% account which you can get access to when you want etc as well.

www.hsbc.com.au

Hope this helps

Graham
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

minimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by northerner
We're currently in the same situation as you. We're investigating HSBC - thay have a 6.2% account which you can get access to when you want etc as well.

www.hsbc.com.au

Hope this helps

Graham
Thanks - I note that you must be an Australian Resident for that account so you will have to wait until you arrive to open it.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:58 am
WA country gal

freckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to all

Hi there, we parked our house money with ING Direct, at an 5.85% interest rate. And all over the internet, so you dont actually have to be in OZ to open the account. Not sure about the PR requirement, should be in their small print. Good luck!
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:01 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I note that you must be an Australian Resident for that account so you will have to wait until you arrive to open it.
Possibly. We're opening a current account with HSBC which will be sorted out before we go so cash will go into their in the first instance, then transfered over when the savings is opened.

Graham
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Hi Mate,

You should be aware that any Ozzie bank will hit you with a 47/48% with-holding tax until you provide them with an Australian Tax File Number.
Also have a look at www.infochoice.com.au. gives all banks and their current rates.
I am with Westpac. Opened account in U.K and deposited money from the U.K into Ozzie account.5.85% on higher deposits, paid monthly and easy access.No complaints so far!!

Anyway..well done for selling the house and good luck with it all.
Ian

Hi,

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by freckles
Hi there, we parked our house money with ING Direct, at an 5.85% interest rate. And all over the internet, so you dont actually have to be in OZ to open the account. Not sure about the PR requirement, should be in their small print. Good luck!
Thanks I'll look into that.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

There must be some better rates available? Its a lot of money, perhaps you should seek advice from a financial advisor, I suppose it will also depend how long to want to leave the money in the account for.

Interested in the replies as we will be in the same position, will have to take my own advice!
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by milliesmum
There must be some better rates available? Its a lot of money, perhaps you should seek advice from a financial advisor, I suppose it will also depend how long to want to leave the money in the account for.

Interested in the replies as we will be in the same position, will have to take my own advice!
A quick look at the website suggested by BradfordLad seems to shows that 6.5% is available for longer term deposits. 5.85% will be OK for a month or two. Once there we can have another look for a better deal.

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bradfordlad

You should be aware that any Ozzie bank will hit you with a 47/48% with-holding tax until you provide them with an Australian Tax File Number.

Ian
I'm pretty sure it's 10% for non residents -

Take a look at the ATO Website.

If / when they do withold the 47% tax on your interest it can be reclaimed at the end of the tax year.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

BankWest online savings account is probably the best at the moment.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:56 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bradfordlad
Hi Mate,

Anyway..well done for selling the house and good luck with it all.
Ian
Not so - Witholding tax is only at the maximum rate IF you are resident in Australia, but still decline to give them your TFN.

If you are resident elsewhere (overseas), and you don't supply your TFN, then the witholding tax is only 10%

In any case, you can claim it back at the end of the tax year.

S
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brizbound
BankWest online savings account is probably the best at the moment.
Yep....but don't think it can be opened from the UK
Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Bankwest Telenet Saver at 6.6% from dollar one

http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/TeleNet_Saver/index.asp
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Not so - Witholding tax is only at the maximum rate IF you are resident in Australia, but still decline to give them your TFN.

If you are resident elsewhere (overseas), and you don't supply your TFN, then the witholding tax is only 10%

In any case, you can claim it back at the end of the tax year.

S
Westpac applied a 48.5% withholding tax after we opened an account from the U.K in Jan this year.Applied this rate on Feb and March interest payments.We were still in the U.K. so not Oz residents.
All sorted now as we gave TFN's as soon as we could when we got here.
As you say....all gets sorted at the end of tax year.

Ian